Spark plug/electrical problem...

GoldenMotor.com

1dave1

Nov 29, 2012
San Diego
Hi guys,

Ive been having a little problem...

I went out on a ride the other night and mid way through, the engine stopped sparking/igniting. I had to walk the damn thing home. I have a few ideas of what went wrong but I would like some input before I go buying replacement parts.

First off, one of ends of the cables from the kills switch is completely fried off. Its now just a melted end of a cable but still, I wouldnt think that this would stop the bike from igniting, and instead, it would only prevent the kill switch from working. The other one is fine. Am I wrong? Does the kill switch need to be connected perfectly for bike to "spark" (ie. turn on)

Second, my spark plug is basically beaten to ****. Its pretty damn dirty too. In addition, the black plastic cable/thing that comes from the little black box (I know, sorry, don't know what to call it) just barely sits on top of the spark plug. It doesnt screw into the spark plug or click in. It just barely relaxes on top of it. The weird thing is that the bike sparked/ignited fine with it just like that. Do you think that is the problem?

Should I buy a new spark plug? How bout a new kill switch cable? Perhaps something else?

Everything other electrical cable seems to fit in nicely. For example, the black cable from the engine fits nicely into the black cable from the little black box thingy, as does the blue/green cable.

I'm not the most sophisticated bike engine guy, as evidenced by my post, but am I missing something?

EDIT: I am also missing the spark plug boot cdi boot cap. The plastic thing. Is that the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Why didn't you pedal home?

The stock plug caps are known to be low quality. Go to an auto supply and buy a new cable and end cap. The new wire will screw into the CDI box.

What kind of plug are you using. Are you saying the plug is hitting the piston? If so try a NGK B6HS.

This is a stock wireing diagram.

Last edited:

1dave1

Nov 29, 2012
San Diego
I just looked at your diagram. So the kills switch is needed to spark the engine? My kill switch wire (one of them) shorted and burned up around the same time this problem started. should I just cut of the burned up part and wire the white wire from the engine to the end of it? I don't plan on using it for headlights ever

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My guess is that your wiring came in contact with the exhaust. There just isn't enough current there to "burn" wires.

Forget that white wire. There are two wires from the kill switch. The colors don't matter. The switch simply connects the two wires when you press it. Splice one of them to the blue wires and the other to the black wires and make sure the white wire can not touch any metal parts of the bike or engine. We also suggest not relying on the plug-in connectors that come with the kit. Those splices need to be soldered and protected with heat shrink tubing. The plug-in connecters are notorious for causing the problems you're having.

As was suggested above, buy a new plug wire and spark plug boot and throw the black plastic one that came with your engine in the trash. A new spark plug would be a good idea and it needs to have the top cap that will allow your new boot to snap on making a good electrical connection.

Depending on the age of your kit, the spark plug wire or high voltage lead might be epoxied into the CDI (black plastic box) and you'll need to dig around it to allow it to unscrew. There is a small threaded piece in the CDI that looks like a wood screw that needs to go into the core, or conductor of the new spark plug wire.

Hope this gets you started in the right direction. Let us know.

Tom

1dave1

Nov 29, 2012
San Diego
Great. I found this on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321051873387?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

If that is not the ideal solution, can u link me to another one, preferably on ebay? Thanks a ton. Also, it seems a lot harder to me to splice that wire then cut the white one off because I will have to find two connectors instead of none (ie. I'll use the white one). Am i missing something? I'm not very electrical savy but I recently ordered an ebike kit. lol

1dave1

Nov 29, 2012
San Diego
One question that I have not got answered...

Do I even need to have my kill switch wired to start the engine? I don't think I do but I haven't received an answer yet.

Thanks again guys

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Great. I found this on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321051873387?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

If that is not the ideal solution, can u link me to another one, preferably on ebay? Thanks a ton. Also, it seems a lot harder to me to splice that wire then cut the white one off because I will have to find two connectors instead of none (ie. I'll use the white one). Am i missing something? I'm not very electrical savy but I recently ordered an ebike kit. lol
Sorry but that doesn't look much better than the kit supplied boot.

Look at the picture of the spark plug and the one pictured on the box behind it. See the exposed threads on the plug out of the box? That indicates to me that the boot uses the same method as the kit boot does to attach the boot to the plug. That's the weak point that you want to eliminate.
Plugs you buy from an auto parts store will have a cap on the top like the one on the box. Good quality plug boots 'snap' onto that cap making a much better electrical connection that the ones that go on a plug without the cap.

Take a trip to an auto parts store and let them show you how the boots they sell attach to the plug. I think you'll see the difference.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
One question that I have not got answered...

Do I even need to have my kill switch wired to start the engine? I don't think I do but I haven't received an answer yet.

Thanks again guys
No it doesn't need to be wired in to start the engine but it is a safety device that we strongly advise you use. If the need ever comes when you need to shut down the engine in an emergency you'll be glad you have a kill switch.
Some rely on the choke, and some kill their engine with the clutch. Neither of those methods will help if your throttle sticks open at 25 to 30 MPH.

Tom

1dave1

Nov 29, 2012
San Diego
Good idea. I think I will just take off the CDI and bring it, and the spark plug w/ me to an autoparts store. I've never even been to an autoparts store though lol. Do you think anyone will have what I'm looking for? I live in San Diego.

Just for clarification, I will keep my old CDI and the chord coming off of it, but just buy a new boot and plug. Correct? Should I get a new chord as well? This ad

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IMPROVE...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d6589d1a

makes me think that not only are the boots crappy, but so are the chords. I'd like to fix this problem once and for all.

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Leave that stuff on ebay and go to the parts store. That way you can see what you're buying and get some advice from the counter man. You'll be time and money ahead. Plus you'll get what you need to keep your engine running right.

Ask for an NGK spark plug, number B6 HS. If they don't have it ask for a Champion 811 or L82C. If they don't have those ask them to cross reference to another brand.

Tom

1dave1

Nov 29, 2012
San Diego
No it doesn't need to be wired in to start the engine but it is a safety device that we strongly advise you use. If the need ever comes when you need to shut down the engine in an emergency you'll be glad you have a kill switch.
Some rely on the choke, and some kill their engine with the clutch. Neither of those methods will help if your throttle sticks open at 25 to 30 MPH.

Tom
Interesting. I've never considered that my throttle could stick open. From my experience, if I'm going down hill and kill the engine, I speed up massivley. In fact, I will usually turn the engine back on to slow down and a bit and not wear out my brakes.

I'm thinking I go to the auto parts store and get completely new electrical connections for everything, including the kill switch. What is a superior electrical connection alternative to the ****ty one that comes stock with these kits?

I would like to avoid..... zpt (jk, I just wanted to add that in for fun)

1dave1

Nov 29, 2012
San Diego
Leave that stuff on ebay and go to the parts store. That way you can see what you're buying and get some advice from the counter man. You'll be time and money ahead. Plus you'll get what you need to keep your engine running right.

Ask for an NGK spark plug, number B6 HS. If they don't have it ask for a Champion 811 or L82C. If they don't have those ask them to cross reference to another brand.

Tom
I'm usually pretty lazy about that stuff but now I can't wait to go. I might even go tonight. Will any autoparts store work? Cragen perhaps?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The best way to make the connections (splices) is to solder them. You'll need a soldering gun or iron, some paste flux or flux core wire and heat shrink tubing to protect the solder joints and to insulate them from touching. Put the heat shrink tubing on the wires before you solder them.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't know what auto parts stores you have near you. There are several national chains such as O'Rielly and NAPA. They should be able to assist you.

Tom

1dave1

Nov 29, 2012
San Diego
The best way to make the connections (splices) is to solder them. You'll need a soldering gun or iron, some paste flux or flux core wire and heat shrink tubing to protect the solder joints and to insulate them from touching. Put the heat shrink tubing on the wires before you solder them.

Tom

Thanks but I guarantee thats not going to happen. lol. I can cut wires though and attach them to some nice connectors. Thats more in my range. Anything more of that nature?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just make sure the connections are good and that they can not touch each other or come in contact with any metal parts, frame or engine. The black wire is actually a ground wire so it isn't as critical as the blue or white wire as far as not touching anything. The blue and white wire MUST be insulated so they can't touch each other or the frame/engine.

Tom

1dave1

Nov 29, 2012
San Diego
Update: I went to scooter store and bought nice new spark plug and a cap. They click into each other perfectly. I installed it, and to my dismay, nothing. I then tried w/ the old spark plug and got a few good sparks and it got going. I was surprised. Then I realized what the difference was. When it didnt work I had screwed the spark plug in all the way until it was tight. I loosened the spark plug and voila, I got up and going. However, when I got above 10 mph hour it lost nearly all power and didn't spark right. In fact, there was actually smoke coming off of the engine.

Acting on a hunch, I disconnected the boost bottle and it started working again, but not at full power. I was really surprised that the boost bottle would have such a detrimental effect. I've gotten rid of that damn thing and its working ok. Which brings me to my next point...

I think that ******* at motovelo sold me a used engine and a used kit....for $270 bucks to. I say this for a few reasons. The engine had dents on it the moment I took it out of the box. Not only that, but it wasn't the chrome engine I ordered. It was black. In addition, every individual piece of the kit had scratches and was sort of dirty. The clutch lever had a part (the part that screws into the clutch lever itself) that was so damn pinched I could not remove it. When I tried to access the crank shaft, one of the screws was completely stripped and gouged out. I had to later take it to a machine shop to get it out. I called that jerk and told him I thought the kit was used and he acted confused and said that they all come straight from the factory in china and that it's brand new. I really didn't care that much because I was having fun w/ the kit.

So, I think I'm going to sue him (I'm a lawyer so I can do it on my lunch break :) and report his business to the attorney general (which he probably won't like because he is illegally selling engines in California) unless he does one of two things, issue me a full refund, or provide me with a brand new kit.

What say you?

PS. thanks for all the advice. you guys rock

1dave1

Nov 29, 2012
San Diego
Of course not. People can sell a used motor all they want, they just have to state that it's used. The failure to state whether its new or used leads to an implied warranty it's new. The test is reasonableness. Would a reasonable person think they were purchasing a used kit? go to motovelo.us and I think its obvious.