Chain pulley bearing missing from kit, advice on substitute

GoldenMotor.com

VTHokie

Dec 18, 2012
Virginia
Hey all,
The chain pulley bearing was missing from my kit but the mounting arm was there so I went to the hardware store and grabbed some options to substitute:

Metal pulleys
Rubber casters which I could dremel a groove into
Plastic casters which I could dremel a groove into

Which would provide the best alternative. The metal bearing fits perfectly but I'm worried it might hurt the chain.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The idler needs to be pretty tough plastic to hold up very long. Try finding a ball-bearing skateboard wheel. They make great idler wheels if you grind a groove in them. I would not use a metal bearing riding directly on the chain. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Metal to metal is going to be noisy. Take maniac57's advice and look for a skateboard wheel. I'd suggest you find one that is made of ployurethane and of one piece construction. There are cheaper ones out there that have a soft layer over a hard core. When you try to cut a groove in them the outer layer will come off like a retread on a truck tire and leave you with a hard plastic wheel. One piece skateboard wheels are available with a roller bearing but they aren't cheap.

Why not contact your seller and tell them you didn't get all of the parts you were supposed to get? They might send you what you're missing.

Tom

VTHokie

Dec 18, 2012
Virginia
Yeah, I'm definitely going to let the seller know - I'm just impatient and was wondering what the DIY guys do about the tension pulley and whether there was a viable substitute at a hardware store, etc.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If you can find an industrial supply house, they will usually have various chain idlers you might be able to use. Look for one with good ball or roller bearings.
Some small hardware stores might also have something suitable.

larry57

Mar 20, 2012
st james ctiy ,fl
i saw in either piston bikes ,,or pirate or gasbikes ,,a nice idler wheel made from a skatebroad for around 19.00 ,,its on my list to change the chiness crap