My first build

GoldenMotor.com

flotsamm

Jul 15, 2012
San Jose
Noob here.. So I started with a Kent Siesta Key 7-spd that I got off of Craigslist for 75 bucks. Stripped it down from its ugly stock paint job with lame stickers and painted her black. Bought a springer fork, 7-spd thumb shifter and a few other items from Amazon and slapped her together. Later I added homemade layed back seat post and upgraded the air filter. The stock chain tensioner was giving me **** so I ended up making my own. I didnt like how the tensioner would get sucked into the spokes so I made this one where theres no chance of that happening. Kinda crude looking but it works. Here's some pics.. comments are welcomed. Next up I'm thinking of maybe a front disc brake or expansion pipe... not sure yet.

Chain tensioner.. works great!

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
very sweet like it alot might paint my frame next im still rocking the stock blue silver and white jaguar paint. yours looks good in black and i have always been a springer fan

flotsamm

Jul 15, 2012
San Jose
tmaxxrunner... I use to run t-maxxes myself! I still have my race version. Fun stuff for sure. For the seat post I cut the top part off then welded it back on.

shellshop, thank you! I hear ya.. after mine got sucked into the spokes bending a few, I had to come up with something different. It a really simple design, just a swing arm and some 1 3/4" u-bolts. I'm sure you could make one on your own... I just dont have the time. Sorry man..

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
tmaxxrunner... I use to run t-maxxes myself! I still have my race version. Fun stuff for sure. For the seat post I cut the top part off then welded it back on.

shellshop, thank you! I hear ya.. after mine got sucked into the spokes bending a few, I had to come up with something different. It a really simple design, just a swing arm and some 1 3/4" u-bolts. I'm sure you could make one on your own... I just dont have the time. Sorry man..
Could you take some more close up pictures of it and maybe another angle of it? If it isn't hard to adjust maybe you could pop it off and get a pic of the back side of it?

flotsamm

Jul 15, 2012
San Jose
Thanks ckangaroo70.

dracothered, theres really not much on the backside.. just a few washers on the top bolt that I used to help align the swing arm with the chain. Other then that its a straight piece of 3/4" by 3/16" flat bar from my local hw store.

flotsamm

Jul 15, 2012
San Jose
Got my speedometer today. I grinded down the sides of the mounting bracket so that it would fit in between the stem bolts. Painted it black and mounted it up... Cant wait to test it out tomorrow!

flotsamm

Jul 15, 2012
San Jose
Well the analog speedo didnt work out that well. Kept sticking at 20mph then would erratically jump to 35+ and bounce all over. Ended up removing and an installing a wired Bell F20 speedo I got from Target for 15 bucks. So far so good. I also decided to lower the front end today, basically cut the springer spring in half.. seems to work just as well as the stock spring but with a nicer lowered look :) If you plan to do this mod make sure you cut the spring to match your weight.. :)

Before:

After:

I left 4 full coils installed:

Next up.. a DIY exhaust system. I'm thinking about making a homemade glasspack but not sure it since it might be too loud.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Well the analog speedo didnt work out that well. Kept sticking at 20mph then would erratically jump to 35+ and bounce all over. Ended up removing and an installing a wired Bell F20 speedo I got from Target for 15 bucks. So far so good. I also decided to lower the front end today, basically cut the springer spring in half.. seems to work just as well as the stock spring but with a nicer lowered look :) If you plan to do this mod make sure you cut the spring to match your weight.. :)

I left 4 full coils installed:

Next up.. a DIY exhaust system. I'm thinking about making a homemade glasspack but not sure it since it might be too loud.
Just for looks do you think that Bell speedo would fit in a gutted shell from the analog speedo?

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Nice lookin bike . The flat look of the bars gives it some attitude .

Just curious .. I don,t see that front sprocket and crank on bikes .. except mine .
I got mine off a CCM exersise bike . I like how you did your tensioner too .

flotsamm

Jul 15, 2012
San Jose
Thanks. I got the bars for three bucks at a swap meet. They fit the look I was going for. The cranks and sprocket are the stock ones that came with the bike. I just removed the sticker that was in the middle of it.

flotsamm

Jul 15, 2012
San Jose
Installed a front disc brake today. Bought a couple of 12g free-wheel wheels to replace the stock 14g ones and a disc brake adapter from bicycledesigner.com. Best upgrade so far! The braking improvement is WAY better then I anticipated. Restored my braking confidence for sure. Anyway, made a prototype bracket for now, might make another version now that its working great. Here's some pics..

prototype bracket:

Installed and painted:

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Did you paint your front forks? Great looking job on the bracket, looks to be simple in design. How do you keep it from rotating away from the forks?

flotsamm

Jul 15, 2012
San Jose
Nope.. forks are still chromed. Thanks on the brackets seems to work great so far. To keep it from rotating I simply made a tab that rests against the backside of the fork when the pressure is applied.