Clockwise 4 stroke?

GoldenMotor.com

les

Nov 11, 2009
australia
Greetings from Perth, Western Australia. Nah, sorry mate, but you can take it from me that motors are not like the water going down the plughole, they dont reverse direction south of the equator. That only works on stuff controlled by the earths gravitational pull and magnetism. Wish it did though, i'd give my left arm for a supply of motors that either turn the other way, or were just designed with the drive coming out the right hand side. On a similar line- I've been trying to figure out how to make double-sided freewheel crankset for ages. Didn't know they already existed 'till I saw a picture of one today, and yes, in the US. Spent countless hours over the time searching on google, to no avail. Any of you guys know a) what they're called, and b) where i can get one?? There was no details with the pic, exept he called it a CoAxial. Sent the guy a few messages but haven't heard back. Any help greatly appreciated- this has been keeping me awake at nights!!!!

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
Briggs & Stratton Dual Output Shaft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-pUyT3LGCMw#t=88s

Next to last pic is a Briggs Intek.

Last is a Tecumseh.

PTO is CW rotation and should be 2 to 1 reduction from the main CCW drive shaft.

When they have the gear reduction built in, how much wider is the crankcase?
I think the overall size and width would be the same as the stock motor. The original cam gearing is used for the CW PTO reduction. The camshaft becomes the PTO.

Attachments

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
it makes alot.... ccw turning motor would need left handed threads to keep the bolts from backing out at the ends of the crank
if you look at a clock from the rear does it the run backwards and subtract time off the dials on its face?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?keyword=NEGH&catname=engines&PAGELEN=10000

here is a list of motors and they ALL spin clockwise
every small gas motor I have owned spins clockwise even the lowly 2stoke china dolls spin clockwise
http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gxh50

HONDA said:
PTO Shaft Rotation Counterclockwise (from PTO shaft side)

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
IMO
Most engine`s turn clockwise from the hand cranking end and the pull start side, the power output side is usually ccw.
I have been wishing it was opposite for the HF 99cc etc engine`s, they look more natural when mounted in frame for friction drive`s, when the cylinder head is facing forward in the motorized bicycle frame. We have to mount them backwards for belt and chain drive.

When they have the gear reduction built in, how much wider is the crankcase? The engine`s pictured with the gear reduction are vertical piston stroke, they look more natural with the flywheel on the right side when in frame mounted, so normal rotation is fine.

Tom, If the engine is mounted upside down, would it know the difference? Hope you remember what I said about you Co. guy`s!!

I bought a Honda 160cc overhead valve engine for my stretch cruiser, but it is too tall. So now have a 140cc Honda clone which will have the backwards look!

I`m thinking that may be what is on Russel`s mind, the backwards look. Ron >>> cvlt1

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
As I rember it b&s made a reduction gear motor(when I was a youth, decades ago) I believe that the reduction was about 6:1. Not sure that it would be useful, too slow for a c-clutch and final ratio of about 2:1 would have to be added.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Are we trying to make this too dificult? Or am I stupid? Please don't answer that.
Anyhoo. One needs to build a plate that is stiff enough so you can install two idler sprockets and create a serpintine system. The two sprockets need to be toward the front of the bike. The chain goes over and around the upper sprocket, around the back of the drive sprocket, and forward and around the lower. This would have the chain running in the right direction, with the motor the way you want it.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Greybeard,
That is pretty slick! Wayne Z mentioned a similar setup in this thread, but thank you for clarifing it. I was worried about having enough tooth contact on the drive sprocket but the serpentine method solves that problem.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Are we trying to make this too dificult? Or am I stupid? Please don't answer that.
Anyhoo. One needs to build a plate that is stiff enough so you can install two idler sprockets and create a serpintine system. The two sprockets need to be toward the front of the bike. The chain goes over and around the upper sprocket, around the back of the drive sprocket, and forward and around the lower. This would have the chain running in the right direction, with the motor the way you want it.
Well, that sounds like a good idea! When I brought up the idea earlier, I envisioned a single large dia idler high and to the rear, like high behind the seatpost.
Large dia idler to let the chain bend well around the jackshaft sprocket without interference with itself, and the jackshaft mounted lower and foreward of the seatpost. Large dia idler has much less drag too.

You could also use one or two idlers with the chainring with a freewheel, and the crank and BB is yer jackshaft!

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Dan
A friction drive won't need a serpentine systen if you want to drive off the right side as the rollers turn opposite the tire rotation.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Yeah My first Preddy build was like that.
Started out with a cent clutch on the jackshaft, with it's bell as the drive roller. Worked great!

DSC_1530.JPG

IMAG0017.jpg

.002.jpg
It eventualy evolved to a 2 speed manual clutch belt tranny.
45mph in second gear1 This drive train has much less parasitic drag than my vari-speed tranny build,