what a difference a jet makes!!

GoldenMotor.com

ssvincels1

Jun 3, 2012
hstn tx
When i intially installed my grubee 50cc motor on my mountain bike i could cruise at 22-24mph. After 325 miles on it started to only run around 17 mph top end. i figured out it was running extremely rich one day when i accidentally left the fuel valve off and at the end of the gas supply it sped back up to 22 before running out of fuel. I messed with the float and needle a bunch to no avail, then i took the advice i found on the board of placing a small wire in the main jet and bammm.... 23 mph. soldered up my main yesterday and drilled it our .004" smaller and she is running good as new!!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
All my china girl bikes with NT carbs were rich out of the box. I run a 68 jet in my 48cc, and the needle is in the next to leanest position..

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your altitude (above sea level) also plays a big part on jet size selection.
Here in the Denver area, roughly 6000' above sea level, I solder and drill all my jets to .024. The 'C' clip on the second from the top. I have had better luck with the old stand-by NT carburetor than any others I've tried. It seems to be better matched to the HT engine for all-around performance.

Tom

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Good point Tom... I've found the NT carbs as equipped stock are jetted perfectly for my altitude (actually all the carb variants seem to be) - which is at sea level & sometimes below, depending on tides & storm surges lol

ssvincels1

Jun 3, 2012
hstn tx
ya im @ 20 ft above sea level so i figured it would be lean if anything. i have a cns epa approved carb on mine. i grew up messing with only fuel injection on all my vehicles, just getting used to messing w the carbs.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...hmm, I shoulda been more clear - I've run NT, Speed & CNS V1 carbies & never needed to rejet (sea level), but I've (fortunately?) never had to mess with the "EPA" CNS... which I believe is the 2nd or even 3rd variant.

I quite like the CNS V1 (version one), but for absolute simplicity w/almost the same preformance I'd again agree w/Tom & defo reco the NT - the ever so slight differences between even the V1 & the NT aren't really worth the aggravation if you're not used to carb shenanigans *shrug*