31cc Ryobi Conversion Engine, and more...

GoldenMotor.com

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
For a weedwhacker I won't spend more than $30. I've paid $20 or less for all 3 of mine and that's all I'd spend on them. I buy the WW with the shaft on it, nothing done to the engine, usually off craigslist stating that the engine runs rough. I have to tear it down (takes 5 to 15 minutes) clean the carb, and start the engine out on break in levels of oil. Essentially in a couple of hours I'll have a engine that runs almost as good as new and looks pretty sharp. $80? I can get a brand new WW for that money or bid on a chengine on eBay.

For a WW I look for the max CC I can get, which is right about 30cc.

AS for a 2stroke chengine, I don't think we should be spending as much as we are on the entry level kits. I just got one for my Bday and my SO spent $130 on it including shipping. Personally I think it should have been $75. AS for CC on that I want to be as close to legal as possible and here that's 50cc or less.

AS for a pit bike motor... To me it's just a horizontal happy time unless it's a name brand or a 4 stroker, why not get the chengine that looks better? Here in the states $50 for a pit bike engine is pretty good in my book. The pit bike engine is a hard fit in a bike frame.

Zippster

Oct 8, 2008
Austin Texas
A trip to the local community bike shop to fix my axle (some early experimentation gone wrong) revealed that to attach a sprocket to the wheel would require getting a new wheel with either a second freewheel - I hear their rare but that'd be perfect - or a mount for a drum brake. Any advice on picking up such an item without buying a whole bike, or is there an alternative that I dont qutie know about? I plan on mounting my engine above the rear wheel sort of like a friction drive, so keep that in mind.

Also, would a chainsaw clutch interfere with pedaling without the engine? Being able to practically pedal is a necessity where I live - I have a bad tendency of accidentally breaking things whilst trying to improve them. I cite my axle as an example.

TorqinDirty

Oct 14, 2009
australia
The chain saw clutch may be robust enough if it is geared right. The problem with the one I have is that the clutch sprocket needs to have an internal spline. Not the easiest thing to find or make. You could possibly weld the sprocket to the chain saw chain spur. It would need to be centered very well. There are many clutch/spur types. Here are 2 common ones. Trimmer clutches are different. As Shoes said earlier the cheap Weed Whackers don't have grippy enough clutches for bikes.

Two types of chain-saw spurs

Check out this video it might help you
YouTube - weedwhacker, motorized bicycle
Same Bike more Detail
YouTube - how to build a weedeater motorized bicycle
im just adding in here, dont ever try to lathe the teeth off these clutches (chainsaw) i trued to once and recked a few lathe bits in the process!, just a tip

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
If someone is looking for an easy to attach and remove ww setup, check out my
'33cc daypack frik-drive' at Motoredbikes. com. as you might need it for the search,
my user name there is 'old rawly'