Authentic-ish Harley boardtrack build (any input?)

GoldenMotor.com

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
I am a noob to the forums but i do own a few motorized bikes. I had a crazy idea lately to do a pre 1916 style single to putt around town on the weekends. Been working on a fiberglass tank mold for the past month or so and finally fitted the first one to a custom frame. Thinking of using a 4 stroke 1930's JAP engine or possibly a gravely or villiers. I truthfully, am stoked as all **** this only took two days or so to make the frame out of old schwinn parts and steel tubing. cost, zero bucks:) I still need to build a springer front end and machine some engine mounts, build belt-drive, balloon tires ect.. Cant wait to get this rod on the road! I sprayed some artificial rust on the tank to give it a barn fresh apeal. The rear stand is spring assisted so it automatically springs up or down into place when you gently move it into position.

I will keep this updated as I make progress on it!

Attachments

Last edited:

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
JAP engine would be great, not cheap to get here and mostly not in working condition. Like the proportions of tank to bike. Welcome around here, Axel

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
Thanks for the welcome! Old engines aren't too hard to come by in my neck of the woods, as I live in a small ex-farm town in Cali. I'd love to be able to get these things on eBay but I have to wait til I turn 18 so my pops would be cool with setting up a credid card account:/

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Welcome to the forum!
You do nice work! Fiberglass is one thing I have not worked with yet, but I have read up on it extensively. I have been contemplating building one of these in the future:
http://motorbicycling.com/f44/velocars-other-interesting-vehicles-34913.html

On another note,
Instead of using a credit card for online purchases, may I suggest using a Green Dot card instead?
You can set it up with PayPal or just use it like a credit card so you can cover most all purchase requirements out there on the web.
Find something you want, load the card with enough $ to get it, and things work smoothly.
If the card number gets hacked during a transaction you don't have any worry about the card getting obscene charges and your credit going into default. A Green Dot card is only worth the amount that you have loaded onto it. Only load it with what you expect to need during a transaction. A thief cannot draw any more than that from it. If you notice something shady going on, cancel it and get another one.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Also, regarding Payments. If you do make the tanks and sell them via Paypal, people can pay you there and you can then use those funds to purchase items that you want from other vendors. There is no need for a bank account. If you want to cash out money from Paypal then they will send you a check. The Swap and Shop section would be the place to go for posting items for sale.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Re: Authentic-ish Harley boardtrack build

Thought id show off another tank i made in the mold:D
!! WOOF!! Thats VERY pritty! Nice job Bird! I think you could make a couple of these ( once the design is proven to hold fuel ) And sell em in the shop and swap section of this forum to get you started. SO... How are the 2 halvs joined? And; have you filld yours with fuel to test it? Dont want no drippy- drippy on a hot motor (POOF) :)

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
Thankyou for all the ideas!, what i mean by artificial rust is a 3 part process of spraying a clear basecoat, topping with a spray grit made from rubberized undercoat and fine sand. Then an airbrush is used to add the corroded iron look. It works great!

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
Re: Authentic-ish Harley boardtrack build

!! WOOF!! Thats VERY pritty! Nice job Bird! I think you could make a couple of these ( once the design is proven to hold fuel ) And sell em in the shop and swap section of this forum to get you started. SO... How are the 2 halvs joined? And; have you filld yours with fuel to test it? Dont want no drippy- drippy on a hot motor (POOF) :)
Haha, the tank comes out of the mold in one piece with gelcoat on the outside. i have coated the inside with fiberglass-friendly gas tank liner and pressurized it to look for leaks, puurfect! most people know if gasoline gets on plain old unlined fiberglass it equals a BIG sticky mess real quick!

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
AWESOME!!!
You are doing realy good work ,love your atatude keep up the good work...........Curt
Thankyou! im not realy one for planning on projects.. i like to just pick up a grinder and a few different welders and make lots of REEEEEE! BBRRRZZZZZZZZ!!!!!! sounds!

bird

Dec 5, 2011
prunedale, CA
DANG BOY! The tank is great and the forks are GEINUS! You must be the smartest kid in school! Well done!
Actually, my highschool has an amazing auto and welding class so everybody has there own little projects going on, im just trying to 1up the last kid :) "scr** your gokart!, ive got this bad boy!"