26CC Homelite dual suspension whipper

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
cb2 is right I would never have come up with that. Now it has me thinking about building my own tag along for the grand kids. Not something I would really do but if you pulled the front wheel I wonder if the forcks would fit down over the rear bike frame with a little creative spreader bar use.

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
Bucks County , Pennsylvania
I could have done it with the rack that I made For the back but Then Id still had to have tied or screwed the tire onto somewhere else. On the rack I have I couldve just bought a length of treaded rod and used 6 nuts and four washers to make it work.

Basically my rack is made out of struts that hold conduit to the walls and to mount electrical boxes. Heres a Pic:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/cb/cb93a84a-5f5d-4ce6-a044-7fc4bde93fc6_300.jpg

Itll bolt directly to the axle and is sturdy as all ****. Using a V pattern you could fashion basically a tow hitch to hang off the back and make it a sinch for attaching a small bike to it that would allow them to Peddle too thus Keeping our children in the mentality that a little bit of work doesnt hurt anyone and itll also get them into the joys of the hobby.

Here is the link to the struts on the Home Depot site.

Superstrut 1 5/8 in. Wide x 13/16 in. High x 10 ft. Long, 12 Gauge Metal Framing Channel, Gold Galvanized - ZB1400HS 10 at The Home Depot

Plus its gold anodized so itll look great and better resistance to the elements.

Attachments

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
Ok, Have the throttle and the Kill button attached to the bike. I like it even more now that I can have two hands on the bars and not reach around to use the throttle.

And Here is the kill switch. Used the throttle housing from the weed wacker shaft less the lever and the safety. It'll house two more switches in the future for running lights and possibly a USB port for charging my cell phone and Ipod.

So far things are shaping up and for No money to do this enire thing sans the new saddle, Speedo and poor Schwinn I rescued ( all clearance or less then 10 bucks).

I also Added a Homemade PVC Fender: Here are some pics:
Heating up the Cut PVC to stretch over my tire for shaping ( Heated Over to

210 degrees and waited for the PVC to get pliable *** Dont try this at Home kiddos without proper ventilation and the Ok from the WIFE***>

Fender Mounted:

Also I did some other things but this one is getting too long so Ill start another reply.

Necessity is the mother of all invention:

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
WAY COOL! woulda never thought to tow it home like that. Thats so out there I would have to ride it around all week end like that! Great thinking!
haha Thanks Cannonball2. My nieghbor said he asked his friend if he had seen me trekking up the road and his friend from work said " Yeah I seen the effin Idiot with all that crap on his bike. I wanted to swerve to hit him just to take him out of his misery going up that hill. He was sweating and huffing and puffing and cursing at me and all the other cars that were flying by him doing 60 ( Supposedly he said that laughing too)"

But I took the weekend off to build a deck for my neighbor and make some extra cash as well as two days off BBQ food and some beer and still made 18 an hour.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
You are killin me with your out of the box ideas! I about wet my pants when I saw the kill switch(hahaha, brilliant!), same with the fender. Pipe I assume? What size did you start with?

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
cb2 is right I would never have come up with that. Now it has me thinking about building my own tag along for the grand kids. Not something I would really do but if you pulled the front wheel I wonder if the forcks would fit down over the rear bike frame with a little creative spreader bar use.
Thanks Deacon.

If you want, Ill give you detailed pic or just look in my albums for just how my rack is together. This rack I built is sturdy as a rock and just two more good straps of steel and you could make an awesome tow hitch to tow your Grandchildren around on their bikes peddling. Hehe nothing like a drive trailer for when you need some extra umph to get up that hill. ;)

.crt.
.trlrl.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
its okay. I really don't have a wife that would ever allow me to but a grand child on one of my builds lol probably a good thing. I have cool trailer I wanted to tow one in and she said divorce was the answer to that. She has a better retirement package so I gotta mind the boss.

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
Deacon, Well fortunately I no longer have a wife and atm I live alone. On thing that could be done is piling up cynderblocks or brick given the low heat Max you want to cook Pvc is at 24o degrees F and use a plywood, 3/4 top with a few bricks on it to keep in the heat and then with a regular mapp gas torch that you can get from H.d., let it burn for 10 minutes to preheat. Then with a plywood front, you can pull it away, put your pvc in there to heat up on a borrowed oven rack , ( the wife would agree to at least that) then cook you pvc to make so many things. Switch mounts, Fenders, rear rack platform moulded to the rack.. Things you can make are countless with just a bit of imagination. You could even employ your shop vac to act as a vacuform to make gas tanks, seat pans, Even wheel discs or Areo discs to protect your spokes in two pieces. Think about it.. Custome switch panel on the cross bar of your bike and dont need anything more then a shaped block of wood, A drill , a file and imagination for anything from bikes to Furniture.

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
Cannonball2,

I started out with light grade pvc 4" pipe at a length of about 4 feet. then on my table saw I just ran it through cutting a 4 inch slither out of it. Cut the size to get the max I could into the oven.. it was a little bent when I got it in there but once it heats up... It becomes like a heavy cowhide texture and stretches a bit.

I had to do it like 9 times before I got to something I liked. Put two pieces of steel clamped by vice grips so I had something to pull or push against to get it stretched.

****CAUTION... Wear thick gloves when attempting this.****

I wore a pair of thinsulate work gloves while stretching so that I didnt burn my hands. Regular ole gloves will let too much heat pass through. then set up a Wire tie on my front wheel which was taken off the bike just to do this.. ( Quick clamp axle) Tried twice without a wire tie holding one end as I stretched the PVC to conform to the Exact shape of the tire. Didnt like it and started over. Did this a total of 9 times sith the last 2 times having the one end clamped in the steel and vice grips.. Notice the flat portion at the bottom of the fender. thats where I had my clamp set up.

I have Knobby tires on my bike so soome of that will transfer to the outside... But its PVC and you can sand it. Took my palm sander and sanded it smooth, then doused it in self etching primer that I had lying around. waited for it to dry and took a wide file to it to check to make sure I had all the bumps and divits out of it. First sanding 80 grit, second smoothing was 100 and final was 150. Grinder with a stone wheel will take care of intial shaping and the palm sander will hone in the smooth shape for paint.

I have my eye on some 8" green PVC at a construction site that someone told me I can take. All I need to do is come up with a basic wood mould for a front rack and the above oven ththat I just described to Deacon and my trusty Mapp gass torch to heat it all up and Ill have a 1 Piece, light weight front pannier rack that will cut down on wind resistance( gonna areodynamically design it with some free softwares, Google sketch up and this wind tunnel software for 3d models using google sketchup that i found perusing through the M.I.T. network.

I plan on doing the same for a windshield to cut down my wind resistance and Aero disc for the wheels. Sepcialized gas tank to fit under the rear rack too.

PVC heated and shaped. Then a sandwhich of two halves with some silicone sealant on roughed PVC and outer layer of PVC glue and finally outer rim Bolted 1 inch incriments with a band of steel all around and 8-32 nuts and bolts and to finish off the tank some more torch heating and crimping folds.with JB weld all around the final seam.

lastly a hole saw to drill the filler neck and I can make any sized tank in any shape I want for only cost of the glue, and the jb weld.

On the front pannier rack... Im going to mold in for a Halogen/ led headlight.

This is the DIY section and ****, I plan on doing it all myself with all the talents AND problem solving skills I have accumilated in my short 35 years on this earth to make what I want and what I need without My seneca lathe and my home made cnc machine nor my drill press.( lost them all in divorce)

ITs about how far your imagination can take you and your ability to imagine and put into production be it one off or mass quantities.
Three of my heros... Edison- ten thousand time for the light bulb then finally got it right, Ford- imagination to make things affordable, and Tucker- Made a car way ahead of its time from helicopter engines- a light that turns when you turn the steering wheel and rolling a car and walking away unharmed.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It is always good to see something new and different. Not having the doremi does stimulate creativity and using what you have or can find. I see some great bikes on this forum, some are mostly a matter of paying for the best of everything. Nothing wrong with that and I'm not criticizing. But the ones I tend to like the very best are low budget, high creativity, probably because I don't have much money to work with either and do a lot of scrounging. Your fender made me smile...
SB

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
Silverbear.

I really than you as you and deacons and connonball2's comments keep me from feeling like Im on the outskirts of society in just doing with what I can get my hands on.

This isnt the end of it either... a charging system from stepper motors I got from thrown out old printers to power lights, a discarded 9.6v B&D drill to give me some tourque pulling power up my bad a**ed hills I have to climb everyday and an added Dyno type system for charging batteries.

My next thing is a custom fully moulded front rack with a headlight bezel made from construction site throw away and some work to make the mould. Some wire from thrown away concrete wire mesh to give it more support and Ill be sporting somewhat of a aerodynamic front wheel that will hopefully help in the mpg area and give me total functionality.

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
Oh and when I hear... I bought this or I bought that.. the only thing that gives me respect for is their wallet.. But when I hear I took this and made something it wasnt meant for and I just thought of it to solve a problem i was facing.. then it always puts a smile on my face and gives me some kind of , lets call it drive, just to make the most of my enviroment and whats available to me.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Im expecting to see another drop down WW head on the front wheels. Ride with the rear for economy then drop the front one to get the omph up the hill.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now I have to tell the story from the movie hud. White man rides a horse till it fall down. Indian comes along gets the horse up rides it ten more miles then eats it. lol hard to digest that weed whacker but I might have to try it

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
Ive had that Idea with Cannonball2 lever for a clutch. but I have a drill that I might put a freewheel on and chain tie it to the rear roller for the FD. Im still playing with ideas but yeah... the second wacker has come to mind and I have a 21cc echo from 1984 that will run but needs a string , carb cleaning and a spark plug..

winks.. Deacon you thinking along my thought path.. this could get dangerous.

and I could start chargine the county for trimming all the roadsides with the the weedwackers.. haha money making oppurtunity...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
you dont need a string on the secondary one for sure, Just throttle it up and drop in on the tire it will start just fine. My 32cc mac has the overheading CDI so I have it on the back burner.

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
Mine Mac 110 is almost as old as me and looks like new. Guaranteed that the previous owner used it twice, put it away for a few years ( 15) and then couldn't get it to start and didnt want to deal with it. Have the original chain on it, Plastic case, Original manual and even the warranty card with free postage.

Bar doesnt even have wear or a scratch on it..

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
Canonball2,

Since you stated that you have pretty good knowledge of the aircraft field and that you have "tinkered" a bit, I have a question to ask you. Would it be possible if I made three coils, used a bridged rectifier, a couple capacitors, that I could make an alternator basically using the flywheel magnet ( just like they use it for spark) and power onboard lighting and battery charging like this: YouTube - ‪Ryobi Touch Start Trimmer Full‬‏ and using the basic principals of a contactless dynamo lie this to achieve this.

Deacon,
You should watch that vid too.. Its only 179 at home depot.