motor running ruff

GoldenMotor.com

decou23

Feb 2, 2010
saint charles, mo
2 stroke, 32/1 mix, barely broken in runs ruff during normal riding like on a flat road but under straine like running up hill it smothes out and runs fine weird right any ideas

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We need more information. 2 stroke or 4? New engine or broken in? What fuel mix ratio are you using? Give us something to work with and we'll try to help you out. Its hard to diagnose problems unless we know what we're looking at.
Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
First off... you should break it in with 2 gallons of 24:1 mix.
The engine will start to run better & better the more it breaks in; I usually tell people not to start worrying about how it's running until they've run about 4 gallons through it! ;)

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
i broke mine in a ( BGF) at 16:1, going great now. roughly 17 miles inher. maybe more, most of which at speed, and pulling hills too. BTW what size engine, also when was last time you changed plug?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That's called "4 stroking" and is normal to some degree with a these.

It's cause by your mixture (fuel to air) being a little rich. Get a tank or two through it, and then try moving the C clip up one notch on the slide needle.

Actually, it's about right when the engine breaks back and forth between a 2 stroke (loaded) and a light 4 stroke at cruise.