Hello from Indiana!

GoldenMotor.com

proriter

May 4, 2008
Living :confused: in Elkhart, Indiana; have built three center-frame "60-cc" motorbikes from kits bought from a nice guy in Phoenix. I work out of my home office, but I find myself thinking up little useless errands so I can ride them every day -- even in mid-January! In my experience, a 1960s- or 1970s-vintage Schwinn cantilever frame (Typhoon, if possible) is an easy install with very little metal-bending required. Anyway, these things are a hoot! Not very speedy, but the looks you get are priceless.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Welcome to the place....we love motorized bicycles, and the bicycle motor kits that make "plain old bikes" motorized bikes!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to the forum about motorized bicycles. we have a few people from indiana in the forum and i am in southern michigan close to the indiana border. i know what you mean about finding time to ride. most of my riding is from my house to work and with our long winters (supposed to be a mix of snow and rain tonight) makes it even harder. glad to have you with us
:ride2:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Welcome to the forum. Lots of motorized bicycle enthusiasts here. Pictures of your bikes would be great. We all like to see other peoples creativity..................

proriter

May 4, 2008
Thanks for the welcome. I've never had more fun in my life than I've had with these contraptions.

In my experience, the Typhoons need an angle brace up front to keep the motor from resting on the chain guard -- at least on the "60cc" motors I buy. The basic brace comes with the kit, and 5 minutes of metal-bending is all it takes. I've also found that the old red-line coaster brakes require very little alteration to the coast-brake arm. Enlarging the sprocket hole is the hardest part, at least with the files I have. I've also sometimes found it necessary to grind a flat on an interior crank or two to provide clearance, but I really prefer that to bending the crank.

Now: has anyone had any experience with a rear-wheel friction roller kit? I'm not looking for speed. I have a newish Schwinn Deluxe 7 that I'd love to motorize without hanging a lot of stuff on its very nice blue/aqua frame.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Welcome! Always good to see another Northern Indiana motorized biker.

I am quite familiar with Elkhart- grew up in Edwardsburg and went to high school at what used to be called Elkhart Baptist Christian School- my wife is from Elkhart, her parents still live there.

Last edited: