50cc 2 stroke motor wont spark, Help please!

GoldenMotor.com

cruiserdude

Feb 9, 2009
chandler
hi, i am new to motorcycling and have ordered my first 50cc 2 stroke motor kit. Ive installed everything including the chain (Clutch works fine). But no matter how fast i spin the motor chain, it wont budge or attempt to start. When I release the clutch half way pedaling, it seems as if its coughing and the bike slows down to a halt! Ive investigating my wiring and this is my current setup [Black CDI to Black motor, Green CDI to Green Motor, Red/Yellow Kill switch to White Motor, And Green Killswitch has nowhere to go. Im assuming the Green wires should be Blue but the manufacturer must of ran out of Blue wires(kinda weird)

I have done this so far:

I have disconnected both wires from kill switch....NOTHING
I have switched the Green wire in the engine from CDI to Killswitch Green....NOTHING
I Made sure the CDI plug is connected to the Spark Snuggly and Spark plug is Tight...NOTHING

One Odd thing on the Motor is that the Carb leaks gas from my Manifold Inlets ONLY when i hold the Gas button(the one that sucks gas into the carb), but shouldnt the spark plug at least attempt to spark first? And how do I test to see if the Engine Sparks?

Can someone tell me whats wrong, i have exhausted myself.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Disconnect the kill switch entirely, don't even worry about it at this point. This part "Black CDI to Black motor, Green CDI to Green Motor" is correct. You can check the spark plug for spark by removing the plug and with the plug boot on it hold it against the engine head so that it makes a connection. Turn the rear wheel so it turns the motor over and if the plug makes a spark you're good to go there, Most folks do recommend replacing the stock plug with an NGK plug, There's a sticky about what plug to use that gives part numbers.
Fuel flow is another issue but lets make sure you have a good spark first.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
You had wired it correctly and that wire you didn't know what to do with just goes to ground (any part of your frame).
The reason gas leaks is because that button pushes down on the float so the gas has no choice but to flow. The bowl gets overfilled. That is normal.
Are you using the choke?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You said it tried to start but slowed down...I'm thinking you flooded it with the "fuel button"

Only hold it down for 2 seconds max. Use half choke and partial throttle. Pedal that sucka!

cruiserdude

Feb 9, 2009
chandler
thanks alot guys, the problem i had was with the wiring this whole time. I found a diagram online connecting black to black to green, and green to green to yellow. The white wire was not necessary. I cant post the link to the diagram because im new, but the Rawmotorsports instructions confuses you til you get white hairs, That is , if you never built a motor before. Anyways i give propz to this forum, looks like ill be spending my upcoming days here.

2 quick questions:

Which one is the choke? is that the metal piece infront of the manifold which goes up and down and has chinese words?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
thanks alot guys, the problem i had was with the wiring this whole time. I found a diagram online connecting black to black to green, and green to green to yellow. The white wire was not necessary. I cant post the link to the diagram because im new, but the Rawmotorsports instructions confuses you til you get white hairs, That is , if you never built a motor before. Anyways i give propz to this forum, looks like ill be spending my upcoming days here.

2 quick questions:

Which one is the choke? is that the metal piece infront of the manifold which goes up and down and has chinese words?
Yes, up for choke, down to turn it off.

cruiserdude

Feb 9, 2009
chandler
does the choke need to be open before turning on the motor? And do i keep it open the whole time the motor is on? and about the gas "button", do I just hold it for max 2 seconds before starting the engine? no need to stop and pump it right?

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
The choke needs to be pulled UP when starting a cold engine. With mine I can turn the choke off or at least half way down as soon as it starts. Maybe it would help you to understand how a choke works by removing your air filter and looking at the Flap as you turn the choke on and off. It's just a very simple way of controlling air flow into your engine because cold engines need less air. I really never "tickle" my carb with that "button" but whatever works for you is all good.

Etacovda

Jan 7, 2009
NZland
cold engines dont need less air, they need more gas... more of the suction is directed into the carb to pull more fuel.

elroy steele

hi, i am new to motorcycling and have ordered my first 50cc 2 stroke motor kit. Ive installed everything including the chain (Clutch works fine). But no matter how fast i spin the motor chain, it wont budge or attempt to start. When I release the clutch half way pedaling, it seems as if its coughing and the bike slows down to a halt! Ive investigating my wiring and this is my current setup [Black CDI to Black motor, Green CDI to Green Motor, Red/Yellow Kill switch to White Motor, And Green Killswitch has nowhere to go. Im assuming the Green wires should be Blue but the manufacturer must of ran out of Blue wires(kinda weird)
I had the same problem, splice into the CDI with the green
I have done this so far:

I have disconnected both wires from kill switch....NOTHING
I have switched the Green wire in the engine from CDI to Killswitch Green....NOTHING
I Made sure the CDI plug is connected to the Spark Snuggly and Spark plug is Tight...NOTHING
BLACK
One Odd thing on the Motor is that the Carb leaks gas from my Manifold Inlets ONLY when i hold the Gas button(the one that sucks gas into the carb), but shouldnt the spark plug at least attempt to spark first? And how do I test to see if the Engine Sparks?

Can someone tell me whats wrong, i have exhausted myself.
black CDI to green Royleecvlt1