Is this clutch worn out????

GoldenMotor.com

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx

Its my friends bike and it started making some noise down low....He kept riding and it finally locked up...

I took the head and cyl off to check and ok...

Clutch looks like pics.. Is it toast???

Can I just replace pads????

This motor has had a terrible vibration since day one... Has about 300 miles on it......

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The clutch pads look like they have a greasy coating. Possibly from over lubrication of the gears or a leaking crankcase seal behind the primary gear, right side. You could try cleaning the friction pads using brake cleaner (wear eye protection) and drying with compressed air.

Even if the clutch is worn or grease soaked it won't cause the engine to "lock up". If the crankshaft won't turn you have bigger problems. Since you didn't see anything suspicious in the cylinder then you might be looking at a problem with the crank or connecting rod bearings.

Have you tried removing the spark plug and rotating the crankshaft by the magneto rotor nut?
Are you sure the chain isn't bound up on the drive sprocket? A chain that is too loose can do that and lock the rear wheel. You didn't say what you mean by "it locked up". Rear wheel or engine?

Tom

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yeah, clutch pads look almost new - they appear to be the better of the 2 choices in pads, but could use some cleaning/trimming

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
Well, uits not the clutch....ran ok after I replaced the clutch, but when it goes to idle the motor locks up......... Clutch will slip and motor wont turn over....

Take the plug out and free it up and it goes again, till you idle then lock up....

Any ideas????I took off the jug and checked the needle bearing and the connecting rod lower bearing seems ok...

Confused......

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Did you open it while it was locked to see whether it was locked at the crank or the drive train?

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
The motor on this bike has always had very bad vibration...... It has finally taken its toll.......

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
try prying up gently on the ends of the crank with a screwdriver - if it moves up & down at all, then your mains are bad