DeNardis 40cc ?

GoldenMotor.com

wheelieking71

May 17, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
has anybody built a bike utilizing the 40cc DeNardis engine? the power/weight, tiny package, and pull-start are very appealing to me. but i cant find any info other than whats on DeNardis site: http://www.denardisengines.com/40cc.html

the only issue i really see is sprocket location. it would appear that there is no countershaft as the 50cc morini type engines have? hard to tell from the pics exactly what is going on? but it looks like the sprocket would be way out in left field, and one would need some type of jackshaft to get the chain back towards the center of the bike.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't know anything about this engine except that it's water cooled. You'd need a radiator.

Welcome to the forum. You might want to consider posting in the 'Introduce Yourself' section and tell us a little about yourself and your motorized bicycle project/s.
Tom

wheelieking71

May 17, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
i did that right before i posted this LOL. i dont actually have a "project" yet (unless you want to hear about my turd, oh i mean truck! LOL). still in the research/decision stages. i already have a Honda GXH50 engine that i can use (its off a ground-tamper). but i am not sure 2hp is gonna get the job done. i am a big ole' dude. i dont need to go fast. the speedlimit for a motorized bicycle here in AZ is 20mph. so i will be perfectly happy if i can cruise comfortably at 25mph. and a top speed of 30mph will be plenty. i am just thinking that a 2-stroke thats geared to max out at 30mph will be more "peppy" off the line. a radiator wouldnt be a huge deal. neither would a jackshaft. just curious if somebody had any experience with this engine, as i have struck out searching for info.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
If you want big horsepower, get a Morini. There are some members with plenty of Morini installation experience to help you.
The Morini is not a bolt-on. You will need to weld motor mounts and an exhaust.
For a first build, I would get a China girl two stroke and hop it up with a hotter pipe, ignition and intake. If you blow it up, it is cheap to replace. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

wheelieking71

May 17, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
If you want big horsepower, get a Morini. There are some members with plenty of Morini installation experience to help you.
The Morini is not a bolt-on. You will need to weld motor mounts and an exhaust.
that is a HUGE part of the appeal of this hobby to me! i love building stuff. if it has an engine, i want to tinker with, and mod it. my truck i drive daily has one factory piece left of the original suspension. the front hanger for the rear leaf springs. everything else is fabricated by yours truly, and i had a blast doing it! i am just having a hard time deciding between 2-stroke, and 4-stroke for this project.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
go for the 50cc water or air cooled they look like the ktm replacement engines and unlike the morini's you can get part's. i dont think the morini's as nice as they are, will be around much longer and looking that the replacement part's are cheeper. it could be the future for HP 50cc motors. check out the DAX add for the 9hp. i think they are the same as denardis 50

wheelieking71

May 17, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
yea, i have already seen DAX's site. i was already dead set on a GXH50 with a EZM. then i stumbled on the DeNardi site. 3 times the power, for about $250 less. its hard to pass on that. i have lots of 2-stroke experience. and dont mind the constant maint that comes with a high-strung 2-stroke engine at all. i was dead set to go buy the EZM tranny this weekend. now i have no idea what i am actually gonna do! LOL

i guess i will start by turning my bike into a single speed. and, loose the chain-wheels i dont need. along with the derailers while i decide which way to go. think i will head into the shop tomorrow and machine a sprocket adapter that utilizes the rotor mount in the rear.