Muffler wont clear peds

GoldenMotor.com

Felix

Mar 26, 2012
Texas, USA.
Installing my first bike kit. Having alot of fun with it, taking my time with it. Installed the sproket(had fun discovering the dust cap problem), mounted motor (had to order universal motor mount) and tank. Ok, now my problem is the muffler not clearing the peds, and I need options on how to bend it(or fix it). Needs to move about an 1/2" closer to bike tube. Thanks .crt.dance1

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Before I enlarge the holes, I'd use heat. If you have a vise..the better. Figure where it needs to be bent, clamp in a vise, heat till its bendable and make minor bends. Refit and bend more as needed. No vice,, bolt to a plank of wood.

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan
This is what I did. A torch is mandatory to get it hot enough to bend the exhaust pipe - you need it glowing hot.

Before I enlarge the holes, I'd use heat. If you have a vise..the better. Figure where it needs to be bent, clamp in a vise, heat till its bendable and make minor bends. Refit and bend more as needed. No vice,, bolt to a plank of wood.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
If enlarging or slotting the bolt holes doesn't fix it, you should probably mount your engine in a different position (usually lower in the front). Changing the engine position is easier than modding the exhaust, unless you are a welder.

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan
One other thought - a lot of the cheap one-piece cranks these days have a bulge and are thicker at the ends where the peddles screw in. Not sure how much clearance you need but if they are just rubbing a little bit you can grind down the backside of the crank end.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've bent many and never used heat. The kit supplied pipe will bend but you need a good firm support like a bench vice to hold it in, or bolted to an immovable support. A 'cheater bar' might make it easier. The important thing is to take your time, bend and go slow and check several times during the bending process so you don't go too far and that you're bending in the right direction.
DO NOT try bending the pipe with it bolted to the cylinder. That can get you in deeper trouble.

Tom

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I've done it both way's 2door, with and without heat. I've also put a kink in a few of them doing it without heat. It CAN be done, ya just gotta be REAL carefull.
I've also shaved the backside of a pedal as Dymaxion suggested. Whatever it takes and still leaves it safe... I say is good to go.
fatdaddy.

Joel G.

May 2, 2012
Guam
The weld on these pipes are bad so be carefull especially when applying heat! I would use a conduit bender- a tool electrician's use, if you don't know an electrician, try to clamp it or vise it then get an even stronger piece of metal i.e. rebar to stick inside to use a leverage to force with arms..