Help me, jc higgins gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

jayson

Dec 16, 2011
Chicago
Hey guys I was wondering if anybody was making gas tanks . I have a jc higgins im putn together and need a tank for it. Im building a board track style bike and need a tank
the frame can b seen in my album please any suggestions would be apreciated

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Here's a coincidence: look at my avatar, then look at my album, then look up the thread "Scored a Higgins". If it has no cracks, I'd say you have a rather solid and good looking vintage bike frame. Mine was very well suited to motorizing. You seem to have the same.
The tank I'm using now is a torpedo style tank that I made from an aluminum softball bat. But because it's rather more slender and smaller than I'd hoped for, I'm am trying to improve my technique with using Alumiweld so that I can make a much larger in-frame tank entirely from scratch. When I feel ready to begin, I will post my methods and pics under the old thread I mentioned - "Scored a Higgins".
But if you want to see a master at work, talk to Tinsmith (Dan) and Silverbear. They are making one from copper for SB's Hiawatha. It's looking good.

Last edited:

jayson

Dec 16, 2011
Chicago
Thanks man. I have two of these jc higgins frames ,identicle. Great solid bike
I put one up on ebay to try and help fund this project
Im trying to do a indian style bike. You guys got some cool
Technique and tips which are very much apreciated, I'm
Trying to make a template for an in frame tank ,using 20 gauge
Mild cold rolled sheet metal but, im having a lil problem with patience
Lol. I just need to take my time with it , ill check that out. Thanx for the insight.