Frame Modification of Worksman

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
not to stir the pot here, but there are more frame styles than just the drop-loop. excelsior, harley, and others had a "no loop" (dunno what the actual name is) frame where the engine was used as structural support, and the down tube was chopped off right after the headtube.

"period correct" gets thrown around here alot, but in most circles it means that all the parts are actually from that period, yet may not be a part offered by the manufacturer.

for instance, an aftermarket horn or light (or anything else) made in 1940 and installed on a 1940 bike, would be "period correct," even if the original manufacturer didn't install it.

trying to build a "period correct" 1900's boardtracker is pretty much impossible for just about everyone.

a modified worksman frame, home-built bike, or any other custom fabrication would just be a reproduction, a tribute, or even an interpretation of the original.

then there's the "boardtracker look."

i agree that just flipping over the bars on your beach cruiser and taking off the fenders doesn't make it a "boardtracker," it just makes it uncomfortable.;)

basically, with our "hobby," you can call your bike whatever you want, be it a chinese toy store bike with harley stickers on it (which, if ya think about it, is pretty much a harley replica, these days) or a custom built, drop loop board tracker.
I agree Bairdco, there were many styles not just the drop loop frame style, and don't forget about the keystone style frame the drop loop was completely removed allowing for lowering the engine gain a lower center of gravity for some of the board track racers.

Hoodoo, those are some sweet builds. I really like seeing some builders going the route of a road cruiser style instead of the track style build.
I believe many builders can and will as you have shown enjoy the more comfortable riding position of a tribute / vintage style road cruiser, as an alternative to riding the board track style slumped over the gas tank.

Thanks everyone for not turning this thread into, a you don't know what you are talking about, that's not a real tribute blah blah blah.

We all have our favorite style of builds, and some of us call it a this or that style build. I don't think any of us is trying to make original replica's of any of the pre-post world war I motorized bikes ( motorcycles), we are just building our interpretation / version of tribute motorized bicycles.

I too don't want to come across to anyone as someone stirring the pot so to speak, I just want to build motorized bikes, and if I can help someone else new to this I'll do whatever I can with tips suggestions etc etc, related to motorized bicycling.

Peace Crazy Horse.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I agree with looking to the old bikes for inspiration, but none of us are in a position to pass judgement as to what is or is not "period correct". My builds are period correct for this period in time, the year 2010. I look to old bikes for inspiration. Some more than others. The deciding factor for me as to what look I use is based on what I like and what is reasonable to manufacture. Sometimes it's just easier and more economical to get close to the "period correct" look. I end up with a look that blends Harley and Indian with a little Reading Standard because, well because the Reading Standard gas tank looks cool and is easier to make. Besides 99% of the people out there looking at our bikes don't even know what a board track racer is, let alone what looks "correct". 100% of the people do know what looks cool, and vintage bikes just look cool!
Enjoy the build!

Last edited:

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
i think we need to think about the context when we use the words describing our approach to a build .. this site is called motorBICYCLING.. In 90% of the builds its about sticking a HT engine on a bike.. (wich i stated in my very first post in this thread)
We can call our builds boardtracker or ratrod or whatever but as i see it its just a suggestion to the wiever of the thread to what we are going after with the build.. Its as Sportscarpats said, about inspiration, not about recreating..

Cheers Dregg

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
I got crossed up on some of the posts here and might have caused confusion.
How about a clean slate on any confusion I caused. If I write too much I will
mess up again. Specific apologies to K-DREGG and CRAZYHORSE if I in any way misposted their quotes but also to everyone else.
Pedaled the Choctaw around tonight (it's wierd, to me the long frame pedals easier than the regular frame, those long handlebars take something to get used to but after a while seem very natural and that long frame in front of you is soo cool--had the same experience with learning to drive the model T at our museum) at the local Gearheads show and as usual these motorized bikes with the vintage "look" or "feel" get a lot of attention. People walk up to them thinking they are the real thing and then when it is explained to them, they appreciate it and want to straddle it for a photograph which makes it quite cool. I have finally found something that I like that other people actually like and the people I have met and communicated with on the forums and in person have all been great....no bad attitudes.

Last edited:

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Finally got the Choctaw chain and motor issues straightened out (I hope it will last) and drove it around some. Part of the problem turned out to be a grounded kill switch that I had to temporarily connect. Nothing like having that long frame out there in front with those long handlebars. Now I will start tricking it up with oil tank and
took box, chain guards, fenders, original motorcycle friction horn, and maybe a replica acetylene lamp, a friend just gave me a slightly oversize aluminum tank but it would still be fun to make a light/ tank combo. Also going to put in piece under the engine to fill the loop area.http://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/shft.gif

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Dan,
I am attaching before and after photos of my Board Track Replica project that uses the Worksman frame. Like you, I wanted the increased vertical clearance that comes from a dropped loop frame. Look closely at the tube that runs from the steering tube to the bottom bracket...in order to insert a drop loop the top bars have to be lengthened. I sliced the top bars and inserted a 4-1/2" insert in both, keeping the original steering tube angle of rake. But...I still need more vertical clearance, since I am trying to convert my HT engine to a more upright stance. Now, the spark plug barely clears the bottom bar. I am considering going back and cutting the frame again, lowering the drop loop portion even lower. If I do, I will probably go with a 4-cycle Briggs I have sitting around. I am still not satisfied the look, plan to keep changing. The pictures show the Worksman frame before I started cutting, and the result after adding the drop loop.
Tom Bartlett
Ah ha! I found a pic o your build on google and I was wondering who made that. I realy like the way you set up the china motor in it.
Yea, when people just flip the bars and stuff and call t a btr its kinda sad, (even though I've done that before) realy to be authentic you need a in frame tank,drooploop and no baffel / straight pipe exaustxct2

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
CCD, just saw where you were looking at a thread I started way back. I don't think I ever revisited it after Tom replied. His response started a debate about BTR's . I got a Worksman because I liked the basic shape of the frame knowing it would have to be modified, but not just how much. After reading lots of ideas and opinions (SportscarPat for the most part) I did what I could do within my skill limits. There is a thread somewhere I started called "Worksman Stretch" I believe. It shows a little about how I went about building the bike. Using an old Schwinn girls frame spliced in, it provided the room I needed for the EZM set up. Lots of other little modifications followed. SB was successful doing the same thing . Dan