has anyone ever thought of...

GoldenMotor.com

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Buying a new cylinder for a china motor and just taking the old one and sanding the cooling fins untill they're round like the old type cylenders on board trackers?xct2

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Buying a new cylinder for a china motor and just taking the old one and sanding the cooling fins untill they're round like the old type cylenders on board trackers?xct2
If you can live with 50cc, they come with round cooling fins(Z50). You would have to take off too much cooling area IMHO to make a 66cc round. There is another posting on this supject.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
huh, I never though of that, I wonder if someone could make a heat sink that makes the cylinder look taller soif you made a fake crank case the cylinder wouldent look so corny being tiny

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
The squarish look is one of the visual faux pas if your trying to make a convincing BTR repilca.
agree, I actually thought of eliminating all cooling fins of my Sachs engine and put a big, tall and round cylinder over it. But I guess it will overheat, or you just do it with the cylinder head and add something to cover it in a round, Indian-style way. Will make a long, tall cylinder approach.. watch my 28" BTR thread, you will very soon see some experiments dealing with this issue

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
Wow, 28 inch wheels! Verry interesting bike axel! I suppose sachs enginesare as common as briggs and strattons are over here. How does yours run?
#

not at all at the moment, it is just a test engine to see if everything works. You find a lot Sachs engines over here, but Briggs as well, there are three Briggs Vanguards (V2) at ebay now here, one went for 250$ which I think is quite cheap, will see where the others go...

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Huh cool! I got a 5 hp techumpseh and it runs like a top. Wonder how hard it would be to rig upa free wheel on the motorshaft so I could make a "kick start"
Come to think of it, if they have rcoil starterd for china engnes whyhasent somone thunked of a kick starter?!?