The First Wolf-Built Higgins build begins...

GoldenMotor.com

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I've started the mock-up and build of what will be the first of a few bike builds under the name of Wolf-Built. My last name being Wolf, seemed to make sense...

Here's the plans and a few early stage mock-up pics. The frame is a 50's J.C. Higgins. The in-frame tank is close to completion. It will include a brass cap, petcock and sight glass, fastened to the frame with leather straps (not duct tape! ;) ) The frame is now sand blasted and awaiting a coat of filler primer and Hot Rod Flatz Copper Metallic single stage paint. The tank will remain in raw metal. The bike will being running a Monark fork up front. I plan on using a set of clubman bars, Velo Orange saddle, and HD rims from Pirates. The powerplant will be "legal" 50cc, not sure what brand yet. I'll also be using a MM hub adapter. Tires are still up in the air as to brand and color.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Looking good flatblack.... im loving those white rims and red tyres.

I did notice the front of your fuel tank, it appears the front of the tank is flat, are you going to taper down the front of the tank? Youre probably doing it because itll look better and may be needed to clear your forks on full lock.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Yep, looks cool. Fork clearence get critical when you go to springer forks. You don't want to dent the tank and limit turning radius.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Now there's a familiar looking bike. I'll have to watch this Higgins too, to see what all you come up with. Looking pretty sweet so far.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Worked on the frame today.It was sand blasted about 5 days ago. Cut of the seat clamp, bent the lucky 7 post up to about a 90 degree bend and welded it in place. Put some body filler in a few rough areas. I then did a few coats of self-etching primer, followed by 3 coats of filler primer and sanding. Looking pretty good. I also did some cleaning/polishing on my sight glass. My brother-in-law will be working on the tank this week to put some better angles in the front, as well as welding the cap, bung for petcock and fitting for glass in.

A few pics of the progress, as well as the bars I plan to ran (I think):

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
F50 from Dax came in as well as the banana pipe from BGF. Started mocking it up. Stock mounts are too large on the case for the down tube. My plan is to flip the brackets and use two on each side as in the pic. The tank has been angled in the front and tack with all the fittings in place. Not sure the clubman bars will stay. It's a different look. They need to be trimmed. Waiting to order a set of Worksman wheels/hub adapter.

The plan this weekend is to finish the frame off with some more filler and primer. Hopefully paint following.

I'm also debating if I should trim the piston skirt. You can see in the pic how much it's off from the intake port at TDC. We shall see.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you can cut the tabs off the other mounting bracket so it fits right inside the oversize mount, getting rid of that gap. i usually cut shims from a piece of pipe on the smaller diameter tubes older frames come with.

and trimming the piston skirt is something i've never done until my present motor, and now i think it's a must. it seemed to smooth out the entire powerband, maybe suffering just a tiny bit at very slow speeds, but who wants to go slow anyways? :)

looks great so far!

poorboys bikes

Custom Bike Builder
Apr 18, 2010
wichita, ks
I would leave that mount idea alone! i bet that would work better at dampening the vibrations from the motor than rubber & be more reliable! I might try that on my '58 schwinn, thanks for the idea:) Maybe rubber grommets on the posts, in between the motor & top bracket? Nice build so far!! Hey I'll take those bars if you dont want them!

Last edited:

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Got the frame painted this weekend. Still need to clear it. Happy with the "patina" and details. Tank install is next.

Gonna be using a Drag Specialties seat pan. Should be here by this weekend. Stay tuned.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Frameset cleared. Get's the rub down tonight. You can see a bit more of the patina I was going for now.

Carb came and seat pan on the way.