Motor kit shipping problem question

GoldenMotor.com

bc2013

Dec 8, 2009
Las Vegas
I just ordered my first motorized kit and had a little problem with it and wanted to get some peoples opinions on the situation. Heres the story in a nut shell ..... I recently recieved my first kit from UPS and was really excited to get started. After I opened it up and laid everything out I started to assemble it in order of the dvd that I purchased with it. That was a big help. Then i came across a part that was missing from the kit. A part that the bike would not run without. I emailed the company to let them know about what has happened. After going back and forth a few times they told me that they would send out the part a.s.a.p. So I was greatful for that and couldnt wait. So heres the part I am curious about. I emailed him back and here is exactly what I said:

Thanks for sending it out. I would just like to ask one more thing, is it possible to get the part overnighted? This is my first build and I am really anxious to get this thing on the road. I would really appreciate it. Thanks again.

So I thought that was a nice way to put it. Then he emailed me back with this:

Unfortunately our overnight shipping rate to Nevada is an extra $15 above regular shipping costs. Please let me know if you would like to do this. Otherwise, our standard shipping time is 3-5 business days, and if you are really in a hurry, a standard brake lever can be used as a throttle in the meantime. If you are familiar with how to hook up a regular brake cable, it's basically the same idea.

So I am not upset about the response, in fact I thought he was some what helpful. BTW, I am not familiar with what he was suggesting so I needed that part anyways. My question is, should I have raised h3ll and demanded the part overnight because it was missing from a kit that I had purchased? Or should it just get here when it gets here and I just keep my mouth shut? Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Personally - I'm divided on this. If the part was missing from the package it's their mistake and honestly I believe when that happens that the business responsible should cover all costs, including S&H... if perhaps not overnight.

On the other hand service like that is really rare... actually given some of the problems ya see in http://motorbicycling.com/f3/find-dealer-review-1730.html?highlight=review, in a way yer kinda "lucky" they even responded to your email - let alone sent you the part without question.

Overall I'd say that's pretty normal for any long-distance parts ordering. Provided you get yer throttle and no extra charges other than S&H, I'd say they did right by you - the tip about the brake lever trick is handy... *shrug*

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
My twist throttle broke anyway so im using a brake lever for a throttle.
You're lucky they answered your e-mail and are sending you the part,4-5 days is reasonable and anysooner will and should cost you more. It's nice that they gave you a hint about using a brake lever for a throttle to get the bike running until your part comes.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Man I like the brake lever trick...I don't use the kill switch yet another stealthy way to build a bike. There is not a huge markup on these kits so overnight is kinda askin too much unless you want to foot the bill. Just go read the thread in General discusion on "King's motor rippoff"