Blasted Briggs & Stratton Engine Smokes!

GoldenMotor.com

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
Well my day was going well until my worst fears were confirmed. My Briggs and Stratton engine on the push mower is burning more oil than I'd like. I bought it brand new at Lowes 3 years ago. I've had engines similar to this before that lasted upwards of 10 years but what the heck is this mess? I do change the oil at the recommended change intervals along with the air filter and spark plug and its burning through oil like someone has neglected it. Well it was fun while it lasted, but I'm going to buy something with a Honda engine on it next time around. I was looking at the Chinese clones at Harbor Freight but the engines they have won't work with my deck and blade adapter. Kinda ironic that my crudely made Chinese bike engine kit has outlasted a Briggs & Stratton engine. Maybe I got a blasted lemon too!?! who knows?

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
Down South I have a 30 year old yazoo with a honda motor.It has never seen the inside of the shop it stays out year round with a 5gal. bucket on the motor.It cranks on the first pull.H.D.

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
No disrespect to Honda but best if you stick with B&S engines. I work on these engines Alot and it sounds like you should check your piston rings and oil control ring they might be worn and thats most likely why oil is getting into your cylinder. I prefer Briggs&Stratton but thats me

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
Yeah, I've pulled these engines apart before and can get them to run. This afternoon I felt lazy, but if I get bored I'll pull the engine apart tomorrow and see what the deal is. I've gotten to the point where I don't like to tear down engines and even if I do, its depressing because I have no money to throw at it(if the engine is too worn its cheaper to buy a whole new mower). The only thing that sucks about Honda is that you have to buy quantities of parts and if you want an IPL they make you buy the service manual.

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
Ya i know what you mean about the prices but new rings and a gasket shouldn't be to much. Im in FFA and im on our small engines team so troubleshooting these engines is no problem. If you guys ever have a question

.bf.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Well my day was going well until my worst fears were confirmed. My Briggs and Stratton engine on the push mower is burning more oil than I'd like. I bought it brand new at Lowes 3 years ago. I've had engines similar to this before that lasted upwards of 10 years but what the heck is this mess? I do change the oil at the recommended change intervals along with the air filter and spark plug and its burning through oil like someone has neglected it. Well it was fun while it lasted, but I'm going to buy something with a Honda engine on it next time around. I was looking at the Chinese clones at Harbor Freight but the engines they have won't work with my deck and blade adapter. Kinda ironic that my crudely made Chinese bike engine kit has outlasted a Briggs & Stratton engine. Maybe I got a blasted lemon too!?! who knows?
my old minibike has a 2.5hp b&s engine on it, the thing went through more oil than gas, the head gasket was blown, it had so little compression and no shrouding or recoil, just wrapped a rope around to start it, but it always ran, i say run it until it doesnt run anymore, your lawnmower cant smoke more than my 1970's lawn boy,

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
my old minibike has a 2.5hp b&s engine on it, the thing went through more oil than gas, the head gasket was blown, it had so little compression and no shrouding or recoil, just wrapped a rope around to start it, but it always ran, i say run it until it doesnt run anymore, your lawnmower cant smoke more than my 1970's lawn boy,
LOL! I'd like to have a 2 stroke lawnmower engine for the simple fact that their are fewer parts and are much easier to work on, not to mention less messy. I guess the only drawback would be the smell of the exhaust.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I know in my old kohler (big engine) there is a check valve that can get some debris in it and it will smoke. See if there is one in your briggs.
Around here, I pick up mowers off the curb and they are OLD - rarely is one a smoker (usually a gunked up carb). Briggs or Techumsehs seem to last forever.
Actually, I don't have an engine newer than around 20 yrs. 7 small tractors -3 pushers at the moment.