Fired up the hog a few days ago, but I got some problems.

GoldenMotor.com

moun10biker

I built my bike up, with my 66cc happy time, and loaded up the tank at 16:1 with 1 oz of marvels mystery oil. Yesterday I Fired that baby up, and no problems. at WOT, i got to 19 mph , and im breaking this in. I am using Valvoline multipurpose 2 cycle oil. No problems, and Its been fun, other than the gasket for the exhaust pipe some how disappeared, leaving that hot pipe pretty wobbly. And the cap to the pipe fell off. I'm going to get a different pipe anyways. And the carb leaks a bit. I'll search around for help on that. My mom was ticked to find a puddle of petroil in the garage, even though I switched the fuel tank off.

But today I rode it around for a long while, taking breaks, and getting to the end of my tank. I was riding, and then the engine sputtered out and died, so I thought I was out of gas. So I went back home, mixed my oil, mmo, and gas at 16:1 and plopped it in tank. I primed the tank, and went to fire it up, but when I let off of the clutch, the engine was just turning over, but the sound of the engine increase slightly when i pulled in the throttle. The bike wont start and just go through what I just described again and again. How can I get my bike running again?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You need to confirm that you have spark at the plug. Remove it, put the wire back on and hold it firmly against the cylinder head and walk the bike forward at a good pace, clutch engaged and look for a spark at the plug's electrodes. If there is no spark then start checking all wire connections. Take a close look at the spark plug wire where it screws into the CDI, ignition module. If all connections are tight and look okay you can try disconnecting the kill button. Some folks have had problems with it. If the plug is firing (sparking) then there could be a fuel delivery problem. Check to make sure fuel is flowing from the tank to the carburetor. Try these things and come back with the results.
Tom

moun10biker

I did the spark test and I got no spark. Then I tried without the kill switch, and still no spark. Everything is tight. Should I get a new plug? I was planning on it.
One thing, I believe some gas may have seeped in the hole with the wire coming out of the engine. Not positive, but the carb was leaking, so it may have gotten in there.

reclaimer

Oct 8, 2009
pa
my bike did that when I 1st built it. I found a bullet connector that pulled apart, at the crimp. replaced it with a butt connector, sparks been good since. something to check anyway, if ya haven't. I checked there last cus it was in a tight fitting sheath.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I did the spark test and I got no spark. Then I tried without the kill switch, and still no spark. Everything is tight. Should I get a new plug? I was planning on it.
One thing, I believe some gas may have seeped in the hole with the wire coming out of the engine. Not positive, but the carb was leaking, so it may have gotten in there.
It would have had to be a lot of gasoline to have gotten through that hole. I doubt that is the problem. Some guys have had spark plug failures with the kit supplied plug. Many of us replace it with the NGK-BP-5 or 6 plug available at most good auto parts stores. I know Checker / O Riley's carries them. The ignition module, CDI is a tough little device and I've only had one failure. If the new plug doesn't fix your problem, and if you have access to a good ohm meter there is a thread here that gives you the readings you should see when checking the CDI and the magneto. I'll find it for you and post it here. In the interim you can visually inspect the magneto by removing the left side cover and checking the wire connections on the magneto coil. There have been some who have found broken solder connections there.
Tom

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'd also try a 20 to 1 mix 16 to1 is way to oil rich. Also castor oil would be better than mmo for break in. but don't use medical castor oil get the stuff used for engines if you want to add stuff to the mix.
16 to 1 will quickly fowl the spark plug. Plus did you gap the spark plug? I run all mine at 0.020 gap.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I did a test, and the magneto is shot. Is it fairly easy to replace a magneto?zpt
Easy to remove. Four screws and pull it off. The part that rotates in the middle is a strong little 2 pole magnet. It will attach itself to the core of the magneto coil when you loosen the screws. When you install the new coil just get the screws started leaving the coil loose so it can be moved. Use a piece of cardboard / stiff paper, a business card works great, and slide it between the magnet poles and the coil core. This will give you good spacing or clearance for the magnet to turn. Wire it up the same as the original and you should be ready to ride. Let us know how it goes.
Tom

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I agree you really should cut off all the bullet connections and solder the wires up. I leave only one bullet connector. The one I put in from the white wire to the kill switch. So I can disconnect it if the switch did fail. Check the spark plug cap too. There's a little spring in there that connects it to the plug, they break pretty easy.