RC Car Nitro

GoldenMotor.com

Mower Man Chris

Jul 9, 2009
Louisville KY
Hey I am a new member and i just built my first bike. It is a 66cc Gt5. I am running 30:1 mixture and then adding some RC car nitro 30% fuel to it. My bike it like a whole new machine with the nitro. Great acceleration and power gain. Has anyone else tried this?? I have ran 2 tanks through and have had no problems or leaks.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Adding alcohol based fuel with nitro just leans the mixture out to the proper ratio...the same can be done with proper tuning of the carb.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mower man, Welcome,
I tip the old nitro can every other tank full, or so. I'll add a couple of ounces to a tank. Typically I use 15% and it has Castor oil in it too so you get that great smell from the exhaust. I can't say I notice a great increase in horsepower but one of my engines is approaching the 1000 mile mark and shows no ill effects from the nitro, R/C plane fuel. Have fun, ride careful.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Adding alcohol based fuel with nitro just leans the mixture out to the proper ratio...the same can be done with proper tuning of the carb.
Joe, your comment on this is 100% correct!!!

As many of you guys know I have been involved with B.R.E...i.e. I make the engines. The B.R.E. rail runs on 90% Nitromethane and 10% Alcohol. It is a Top-Fuel horizontally opposed 4-cylinder.

Nitromethane must be compressed; in order to get the horsepower benefit from this fuel.

Nitro doesn't burn like gasoline...It explodes under compression! These engines run on the edge...They run on the edge because that is the only way you can run Nitro. Nitro is not a fuel in the true sense...it is more of an explosive, and there is a very narrow window between making horsepower and blowing up.

Hobby engines are specifically designed with a VERY high compression ratio. Add 15-30% Nitro with some Alcohol and a little oil and you have an incredible cc to power ratio.

Adding Nitromethane to a conventional engine, (2 or 4 Stroke), will NOT make the engine more powerfull.

Think about our set-up...it is very close to the V8 Top-Fuel set-up

1) 10:1 Compression ratio
2) Littlefield 4-71 Blower. (35lbs Boost @ 6,000R.P.M.)
3) Two plugs per cylinder, Twin Magnetos @ 7Amps
4) Enderle 85 GPM mechanical fuel system. (When we go from Alcohol to nitro, the flow is ON...The jets and pressure pop-offs that were set prior to the run are the only controls!!! If we get this wrong the engine goes BOOM!!!, or it runs slow.

Jim

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Joe, your comment on this is 100% correct!!!

Think about our set-up...it is very close to the V8 Top-Fuel set-up

1) 10:1 Compression ratio
2) Littlefield 4-71 Blower. (35lbs Boost @ 6,000R.P.M.)
3) Two plugs per cylinder, Twin Magnetos @ 7Amps
4) Enderle 85 GPM mechanical fuel system. (When we go from Alcohol to nitro, the flow is ON...The jets and pressure pop-offs that were set prior to the run are the only controls!!! If we get this wrong the engine goes BOOM!!!, or it runs slow.

Jim
Yeah, Jim, but my motorbike is set up just like that. :)

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
nitro and methanol will not mix with gasoline, the different fuel will separate out of suspension in a very short time. ethanol is another matter, it will mix with gas. once you get a small carbed engine to run on nitro theres really no way to shut it off, it will have to run out of fuel before it shuts down. you can pull the plug wire and choke off the air intake and it will still keep running untill the fuel is gone. nitro carries it's own oxygen, once it's burning all it needs is compression to keep going.
if you want to try this there are ways of doing it. you'll need special chemicals to make nitro mix with gas. heres a link to all you'll need to blow up you engine.
https://www.pricechemical.com/
if you mixing rc fuel in gas, once it sits for very long it will separate out like water and oil. you'll be running on one or the other, not a mix of both.

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
I add a touch of it 1 oz per 1/2 gallon when I ride up to higher altitudes (8500 feet and higher) to compensate for the richer mixture and regain some lost power particularly on long mountain hill climbs. I don't recommend this to folks living at sea level unless their stock mixture setting is already pig rich.

The effects of the nitromethane are felt when engine is under heavy load such as going up a hill...the nitrooooo really kicks in and you can feel the pulse explosions that aren't as noticeable when engine is not under heavy load....our engines are relatively low compression and I suspect much of the nitro isn't ignited unless load is high on the engine.

In short, nitromethanol is too risky for the average user in that engine damage can occur rapidly if carb mixture setting isn't set rich to begin with.

caraddict96

Oct 9, 2009
stillwater
well i mix 20% in my tank every time i fill. and shoot its very hard to get the mixture to mix and stay running good. it makes my engine rev way fast or not idle right. i keep working on the corect mix formula and i just usually shake my tank before i ride to make sure its even enough to run semi smooth. but man life without my nitro..... well thats like a plugin with no juice. lol it deffinantly makes my bike go way faster and pick up speed in a whole new manor
dnut