Such a thing as a Electric Starter for the china 2-Strokes?

GoldenMotor.com

westonforbes

Jul 2, 2009
Michigan
Hey guys,
I got bored with a plain ol' motorbike so I started to weld myself a new frame, however this time, due to the asthetics, I wont be able to have a pedal start system. I have been working on juryrigging a electric start system with little sucess. My question is, is there such a thing as a electric starter (or pull starter if nothing else) for the china 2 strokes? I have checked every sponser that advertises on the sides of this forum with no luck. If there is no such thing, has anyone sucessfully made their own starting system with other parts I could attain? I have searched the forum but the terms electric starter brings up everything I don't need and I cant think of other search criteria.laff

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
I have experience with the pull starter that Westonforbes posted. My Dad has one on his 48cc bike, and it works quite well. He also ordered a 66cc engine that already had a pull starter on it. The build is still in progress so we have not tried it yet. I think he got his new engine from thelashop.com. The only thing is that you need wider pedal cranks in order to use one of these.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
I was always wondering what would happen if you rigged up a small DC gear motor to the pull start. I don't have the pull start to take apart so IDK how you'd go about it. The only reason I say pull start is because you'd want the motor to disengage once the engine starts...kinda like the pull start does.

Last edited:

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Actually, I've often wondered about using an electric motor with a bendix gear, like what an automotive starter has to turn the big gear on the right side of the engine..