burnt_toast

Dec 15, 2011
TX

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
easiest way is with a drum front wheel
cheapest way is a front bmx-type caliper
best way is a disc brake wheel and caliper adapter mount (venice motorbikes has them)

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have an older Worksman front drum myself. It beats rim brakes by a long shot. It's weatherproof, and the shoes won't wear out as fast as rim pads or even disc pads will. I know that discs still have superior stopping power, but for ease of installation (you can use a drum with almost any bicycle fork, may just need to make a bracket for the brake arms) and also ease of maintenance (the slow wear of the shoes means they don't need to be adjusted very often), drums are perfect.

burnt_toast

Dec 15, 2011
TX
hmm I like the disk and drum ideas, especially the drum. where can I find something like this, and is it expensive?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Check husky cycles or worksman's website for a complete drum wheel, or check ebay for a hub you can have laced in, complete wheel is probably cheaper. Drum is going to be cheaper than disc most likely.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
hmm I like the disk and drum ideas, especially the drum. where can I find something like this, and is it expensive?
...here's a link to most of the brake options at Custom Motored Bicycles, if you scroll down past the disc options you'll find the drum options, ...i'm seriously considering a drum wheel for my cruiser but the price is making it hard to pull the trigger.

peace, bozo

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
For expense sake you could use a caliper brake or even two sets on a front springer of the type you showed in the links as long as they have the mounting hole. You would need a dual pull brake lever but those are fairly inexpensive. I used a caliper brake for a while and it worked pretty well in the 20-25 mph range but much over that and you will want a disc or drum for sure.

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
i vote the drum brake option from either husky (that's who built mine!) or pirate cycles (reppin' the east coast!).

i've used the drum brake on my springer front end for over a year now and it's pretty damn perfect. as long as you've got a very sturdy bracket and everything locked tite with loc-tite, a springer with a drum brake is a fantastic choice.

however... while awesome looking, the springer really is a poor choice for functionality/safety. unless you live in an area with nice smooth roads, then you're alllll set. where i live... there is no such thing as a smooth road.