Sorry guys, another clutch question...

GoldenMotor.com

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
Clutch wont disengage.

I have not fired up my 80cc kit yet. A big thing that is bothering me is the clutch/drive sprocket. No matter what position the arm off the top of the clutch is in the drive sprocket is spinning the engine.. The lever off the engine for the clutch is kinda "flappy" with no tension or obvious mechanical function. My understanding was that in some position the drive gear will spin freely. standing over the bike the lever will point straight back or at a almost 90 degree angle to the left sticking out. Ive tried searching for an answer but I dont think I know enough to even know what im looking for. Thanks for any help. :-||

EDIT: I took this pic of the cover off. It seems like the pin in the center of the drive gear needs to be pushed in to disengage the clutch. Is this rite?

Last edited:

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
So wait if you close the cover (screw it back on)and push the clutch arm towards the carberator it will not disingage the clutch?

Oh and looking at it close like that the down tube is 1 1/8 i can tell now :)

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
Correct. I tried to push on the pin in the center of the gear with my thumbs and a piece of cardboard and its not budging at all.. That is how it works rite? The center pin goes in and disengages?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
There is no way you can push the bucking bar in by hand. Place the clutch arm rearward (just as pictured), screw cover on and with force you should be able to disengage the clutch by hand. Remove the lock washers from between the engine and mount.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
yes, that's how it works.

unless ur a really tuff guy, you probably will NOT be able to push in the bucking bar with your thumb! if u can, there's some other problem with the clutch spring.

the lever IS kinda floppy, unless in the proper position, then the cable still holds it from flopping outwards... also, that nut on top of the cam shaft is meant to hold the lever in a fixed position, and keep it from rotating (slipping) on the cam shaft.

Most clutch probs are from a missing ball bearing in behind the bucking bar in the center of the drive shaft. There is also adjustment capability with the flower nut, and the actual clutch spring adjustment, which is more difficult to do, and covered in the clutch section for repairs.

Good luck
rc

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
wow, I just went for it.. THat thing is hard to pull.. I dident think the engine would hold up to that kinda force lol..let alone the clutch lever. Thanks you guys

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
wow, I just went for it.. THat thing is hard to pull.. I dident think the engine would hold up to that kinda force lol..let alone the clutch lever. Thanks you guys
Leverage..... It's like tightening a nut with a 1" long wrench and one with a 9" long wrench.
Remove the lock washers from between the engine and mount. If not you have a GOOD chance of snapping the studs, which they should be changed out. Click onto my Out of the box modifications in my signature.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
And get rid of that spring on the clutch cable. Leave the bigger one, it's a heat shield but the small one does nothing but make your clutch harder to operate.

It also looks like the engine mounting stud is bent. How'd that happen? You also need to tighten the nuts on those studs. Lock washers should be flush when tightened sufficiently, not open likes yours are. And as Al said, get those lock washers out from between the engine and the mount.

You also have chain interference in the clutch actuator cover. See that chafed area? You need to grind a little material off there so the chain doesn't hit. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=6682

Tom

Last edited:

Bammer

Apr 6, 2012
Redondo Beach CA
The stop looks bent but its not. I looked in the pic and then ran to the garage. Its all good. The washers in the engine mount are being switched out tomorrow, without them the engine sits on the chain guard. I am going to fab a spacer in the morning. The studs were all tightened down prior to riding, I like to "dummy" everything up before finely tightening it all down (just in case it has to move). Oh yeah the chafing on the clutch cover... It came out of the box like that, I noticed it when I unpacked it. Its kinda strange that it came like that. At the time the photo was taken I hadn't evenun-boxed the chain yet.. So. without further delay....
dance1