airbag light won't go off

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My wife's car has suddenly developed a case of airbag light drama. I have heard that there is something wrong with the air bag system and it needs a scan. Frankly I'm not impressed. My question is will the car fail the safety inspection for an airbag light that won't go out.

If it were my car, the answer would be black tape over the light. I have done it often enough to my old junky cars, but this one is her new car purchased in in 06 with only 35000 miles on it. I hate to make a decision about her car.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I don't know, but maybe you can try smackin' the front bumper with a sledge hammer and make sure that airbag is still operable! laff Just kidding......

A little black electrical tape should do the trick!

I tell ya, if only cars had those things while we were growing up and trampin' through the neighborhood looking for fun!

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
ah the joys of being a JD... Yeah I'm thinking black tape. But wondering when they hook into the computer if the inspection if it will show that as bad tape or no tape.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
it may be nothing, go to auto zone and they will reset the obd2 codes for free. the light may not come back on after the reset.

an air bag will not go off by bashing the front bumper. the car has to be running and moving above a set speed before the bags will blow.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yeah, I checked with advance auto and they ran the scan that would be run on a safety inspection. They found no codes on the computer, so I'm going to go with the black tape repair method. I have no idea where those sensors are. When the car get's looked at next by someone not doing a safety inspection, I will have them see if there are any wires hanging down. The tires are due for a rotation next month.

When I drove for a courier company a several years ago at night their trucks always had those lights on. I didn't think it was a big deal, but I would hate to fight with the dealer over something like that. I would much rather trick them lol.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
thanks for the information. To be honest I don't plan to ever need the airbag. If my wife feels the need for it, I will let the dealer do all that. I don't have a lift and I gave away my ramps when i had to stop driving. This is really her car so it's up to her. But Cam I do appreciate the information.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My dealer likes to tap dance about the warranty. Won't give you an answer just be nice and vague. The only warranty left is the drive train. I can;t see how this could effect that, Beside which I will just take the tape off and swear I never saw that before lol.