My "1900's tribute, build

GoldenMotor.com

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
As a new member to the hobbie/sport, and this forum, I want to share my first and current build. First, a bit about how I got to this place. I've always had a love for motorcycles, especially vintage stuff. Who can own, much less ride one of the early Indians, Harley, or (my favorite) Popes. Not me! But, with my welding and fabrication experience, I can build a motorized bicycle that will replicate (within reason) the experience. So, with this idea in mind, I set out to build a tribute bike that I could ride and enjoy on a daily basis. I searched for an old bike to start with. I wanted one with "patina" for an authentic look. I had no luck, but discovered a Cruiser at Wally world with awesome tires, which Santa delivered this Christmas. I have since read several negative threads about the quality of these units, but feel it will work well with the major changes I am currently making to the frame. These changes are:
. Stretch frame 6 inches,includes new straight top and lower bars.
. Lower frame 2 inches
. Mild rake to forks
. Adding loop engine cradle to down tube
. Lowering seat post 2 inches, with DIY seat
. Angle iron motor mounts for Lifan 79cc verticle cylinder 2.5 hp
All my frame mods use tube insert splices and gussets for strength.
I am finishing work on the torpedo style tank. Will post pics when I can. In the correct thread, I am asking advise on the best transmission for the build. That's enough for now. What'd Ya think so far?

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ
I'd like to see your pics. I've had trouble welding walmart bikes (either aluminum or very thin steel), but i know other members on here have had success with them, depending on the brand probably. Sounds like a good start! I'm thinking of doing an angle iron motor mount also on my build, let me know how that works out?

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Be carefull not to "emulate" too much around here. You'll end up being warned about going blind or growing hair on your knuckles. laff

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
One of the reasons I chose this particular bike was the size of the tubes, compared to most, they are huge, and steel. I've had no trouble welding on them. As I stated, I slip a 4-5 inch tube inside splices, leave a weld gap and weld me up. Even if the weld would fail, the inner inserts would keep together somewhat. If I took pictures and posted them it would cut into my fabricating time, so I'll wait for a time when I'm to tired to work! Lol

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Oops, Velo, too late! I love that Pope, that's the true "pope-mobile.". Mine is not a bt however. At my age I might not ever straighten up. Mine will adopt the sitt'in up straight posture. By-the-way, where can a guy get those transition thingies for drop down bars? Flip em over and they would look great.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Don't Forget the hair on yer back and in yer nose Velo, I think it's time to stop Emulating and give us a couple of progress report pic's on yer pope, yes go to the body shop and snap some pic's then come home or hook them up from the I phone(whatever?) it's been too long!

Last edited:

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I'm gonna stay out of the discussion about emulating this time, but look forward to the build Mr Moto Pope.

Good luck, Dan

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Since I am new here, I believe following the examples of seasoned members would be considered "premature emulation.". That's my final comment on it.
Never the less, I did get the gas line bung welded on my tanke and also the strap studs. That's progress, I suppose.

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Since I am new here, I believe following the examples of seasoned members would be considered "premature emulation.". That's my final comment on it.
Never the less, I did get the gas line bung welded on my tanke and also the strap studs. That's progress, I suppose. Oh yea, did snap a photo, soons I figure out how to post, I'll do it.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Oops, Velo, too late! I love that Pope, that's the true "pope-mobile.". Mine is not a bt however. At my age I might not ever straighten up. Mine will adopt the sitt'in up straight posture. By-the-way, where can a guy get those transition thingies for drop down bars? Flip em over and they would look great.
You talking bout the clamps to make the double bar handle bars? http://www.sportsmanflyer.com/ click on parts and scroll bout half way down the page He has in the past sold just the clamps without the bars. if thats what your after. Notice he has changed his design from his originals which are in most of the pics. The rounded shoulder ones are whats available now. As seen on the handle bar specific add

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Send me $45.oo and I might be able to still get a 1941 JC Higgins frame and crank the exact same as the Westfield Columbia Pope. (If it is still there? at an antique Barn I frequent) of course you pay S$H (LOL!)

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Hey, velo, that's a beautiful frame. It would be an "abomination" to touch that patina. My best liked style dictates a low mounted motor, meaning frame mods. I couldn't do that to that frame. And truckd, thanks for the offer, but I've decided my next project will be a scratch-built frame. Got my picture to photo bucket, some day I may actually get it posted!

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
I know you guys are not like this, but every morning I change my mind on which direction I'm taking my bike. I (so far today) plan my next build to be a "barn find" looking machine, much like MrBz tribute. I will use the drop bars on that 1. Thanks for day-dreamin with me.

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo

This is a picture of "Ranger" my 1900's tribute. The picture is last week, I've finished welding tank and now doing the long sanding prep work on same. Awaiting jackshaft and sproket and adaptor. Will then take apart and finish welding and paint.

Last edited:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
If by “change your mind” you mean “mistake” I’m with you!

I think I built my bike 3 times over before I got it right (mostly right anyway) including some pretty major changes along the way.

But I think that’s the part of the learning process, my second bike only took 2 times over... “-)

Your picture worked and let me be the first to say that’s a good looking bike! You nailed the 1900’s look!

-Kirk