Got tired of the stock black covers...

GoldenMotor.com

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Ended up taking off the magneto cover/air filter/EZMatic cover yesterday and painting them blue with a couple of glossy clear coats above the blue. The worst part about not being a professional painter is getting some runs...but at least they were in out-of-sight places for the most part.

Eventually...may add a decal on the drive train cover and go over it with a clear coat. Something like a lightening bolt...Zombie Attack Squad or something else. Was looking on Amazon for what I had available to order.

If you saw uploaded previous photos...had to do some updates. For instance...couldn't use the new air filter since the carb would never run right. Went back to the stock and no problems. (Hope to get another one with a bigger jet next year.) The spring on the chain tensioner was replaced with one from the hardware store for a screen door. Had to move the gas tank from the rear rack to the top bar to get it to feed correctly.

A continuous issue is with these three piece cranks. No matter how hard I try or what they are replaced with...can not get these nuts to stay tight to keep the pedals on. As soon as someone can get the one piece into stock...they are going to be replaced.

Attachments

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
the blue looks good :)
The thing I was most amazed about was how much like metal it made my covers look like...especially magneto cover and pull start. Even had to buy new plastic rivets since I broke two of them getting the drive train cover off. Cost me all of $2.50 for nine of them and didn't bother even painting them since they looked good in black against the blue.

Now...want to get a can of high heat in the same blue color for the exhaust and use it also for tensioner/sprocket/rear brake assembly. Do they make any clear gloss which can take the heat of the exhaust? If not for the exhaust...can a clear coat gloss be usable for the spring/tensioner/sprocket...since they don't have as much heat as the exhaust?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
the exhaust will get hot enough near the engine to burn off any high heat that I tried,,,
it gets so hot, it even turned black header wrap white !!! ;)
That's cus yer riding in the scorching hot desert inferno of Arizona :D

I've never seen a high temperature clear paint, but who knows these days, maybe a lexan based epoxy glass er sumthin. I think they clear coated the space shuttle tiles but don't quote me on that ;)

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
That's cus yer riding in the scorching hot desert inferno of Arizona :D
Moved to South Central Idaho from Armpit City on the Colorado River. It's usually 20 degrees F hotter than what Bill deals with. ;)

At least here...I can spend time outside and at night...it's not 90-100 degrees F. Even have two drive-in movies in town and $6.00 for an adult makes it a cheap way to see a movie without dealing with the kids and such you do inside an inside cinema.

I've never seen a high temperature clear paint, but who knows these days, maybe a lexan based epoxy glass er sumthin. I think they clear coated the space shuttle tiles but don't quote me on that ;)
Sounds expensive...so may end up getting an OEM black exhaust. It would fit the color scheme of the bike and give me a better fit than the pipe I've been using all these years.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
A continuous issue is with these three piece cranks. No matter how hard I try or what they are replaced with...can not get these nuts to stay tight to keep the pedals on. As soon as someone can get the one piece into stock...they are going to be replaced.
put some blue loc-tite on the threads and tighten them.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
put some blue loc-tite on the threads and tighten them.
All ready been done...more than once...but the nuts still work loose from a ride. Have to tighten them after every ride or I lose my pedals. If I knew the bearings would never need replacing...would use the red.

Will be getting a one piece crank as soon as they are available. If they would've been available in February...would have gotten them then. Everyone is out of them and will not restock them until this summer.