Tampa FL news story: Legal Limbo?

GoldenMotor.com

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
When i was discussing it with the public defender at the appointment before the trial, he said that anything above 50cc is a motorcycle, and requires a motorcycle indorsement. The specific limit isn't listed and the DMV says the size of the engine doesn't matter. I also told that to the public defender and he said it does matter. But, i have a 33.5cc friction drive and my 66 china doll. I use the friction drive on pavement and light off road use, and when i need more power, i'll kick the china girl in gear. :) LEO's all over FL each seem to have an excuse. I've heard many different things. They either say its a moped, or it needs to be registered, or u gotta have a license, or isurance, or they need to know the cc's, bla bla bla. They need to go study the law and accept it and quit wasting ink, paper, time and money. It would be way more fun to ride around knowing that LEO's know the real law.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
When i was discussing it with the public defender at the appointment before the trial, he said that anything above 50cc is a motorcycle, and requires a motorcycle indorsement. The specific limit isn't listed and the DMV says the size of the engine doesn't matter. I also told that to the public defender and he said it does matter. But, i have a 33.5cc friction drive and my 66 china doll. I use the friction drive on pavement and light off road use, and when i need more power, i'll kick the china girl in gear. :) LEO's all over FL each seem to have an excuse. I've heard many different things. They either say its a moped, or it needs to be registered, or u gotta have a license, or isurance, or they need to know the cc's, bla bla bla. They need to go study the law and accept it and quit wasting ink, paper, time and money. It would be way more fun to ride around knowing that LEO's know the real law.
The public defender doesn't know what he's talking about.

That only applys to a motor vehicle. Since a china girl style MB isn't self propelled it's not a motor vehicle as described by the law. The only laws covering one are the bicycle laws.

The only reason MBs are a gray area is because the state hasn't figured out how to get around the self propelled argument.

So far in the three or so cases we've seen dismissed, the judges made the right desision, but were careful not to explain exactly why.

pease

Apr 3, 2010
htebhn
so from what I read,,,, as long as I have a lisense, and don't ride on the sidewalks,, I'll be fine with my 49cc??

live in Gville so Im worried, we've got fuzz everywher

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
As long as its 50cc's and under u don't need a license, or registration, or insurance. Ride in the bikelane, and if there isn't one, ride as close to the right side edge of the road. Buy a reflector vest and always wear a helmet. Keep the speed at or under twenty. Don't ride in the car lanes. These are still bicycles, just with gas powered helper motors. You can pedal your bike on the sidewalk just don't have the motor running while on the sidewalk.