Laws? Canada

GoldenMotor.com

Rays

Mar 10, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
I stopped today at a bike-shop here in Winnipeg, MB - just to ask a few questions. According to them gas-bikes are illegal here in Canada, it classifies as a motorvehicle, must be licensed, and the frame and brakes etc does not satisfy requirements for gas driven-cycles. They said, even though people goes around with it, it will be confiscated if stopped by a policeman. Any-body out there dealt with the same before? And then, what about the electric bikes, why can it be okayed?

lazieboy

Sep 5, 2009
Mid-west
Rays, Check out the DMV there. In MN under 50cc is a moped not motorcycle. But here need title to register. To get title need SS#'s from frame and motor, proof of purchase where you got frame and from who. Ya alot of RED tape. I need to pay $ 45 just to send off paperwork to state and that probabbly dont mean it's a sure thing. P.S. Cops have not said anything to me yet. but i do have Ins.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rays, It's electric or nothing. Gas powered bicycles are NOT legal in Canada no matter what you hear. Try it and the fines will kill you and a chance of jail time. You will be driving an unlicenced, unregistered, uninsured motor vehichicle.

Seem's when the government was writing the new laws two groups showed up to help guide the law makers.

Ford, because they were making electric bikes at the time and the Insurance Company of British columbia to make sure that the insurance companys were protected from paying out big claims due to gas powered bikes.

Thats it in a nut shell.

Steve.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
I Hate this hole Darn thing the Canadian Transport Minister has rammed one right up the you who of every gas powered bicycle rider across Canada including Ontario. I have invested a carp load of money and time building a company and a compliant motorized bicycle. It is impossible and that is no JOKE if your Vehicle dose not have a CMVSS com-pliancy decal from the manufacturer your dead in the water. I only just found this out because I went to all the expense and time to bring my bicycle up to Limited speed motorcycle specs with full motorcycle lighting horn all DOT and SAE approved. Only to find out in the twelfth hour I dose not matted what I did to my bicycle it will never be aloud on the roads ever. Here is the link to the Bulletin http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle...otorcycles.pdf What this is tell you is if you try to become compliant and go as far as taking your MB to an inspection facility they will look up this bulletin and then send you home. And with out this inspection no Vin number will be issued and no VIN number no insurance. witch all spells NO GAS POWERED BICYCLES IN CANADA. If you go to the transport Canada site and look it up you will find the same info this goes for Canada wide end of story.
Of course there are ways around this of which I have done. If you are very serious about following my path I am willing to guide you in the right direction. But be warned you could buy a scooter cheaper than you can build you own moped PM me if you are super serious and have lots of money that you are willing to spend.

Terry

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
The cops here had no problem with these bikes last year and I have just learned nothing has changed for this year. We are also allowed to ride on the pedestrian/bicycle paths.

peter carswell

Nov 18, 2009
Hamilton Ontario
I was pulled over by the cops in hamilton this evening around midnight i drove my gas power mountain bike here in hamilton all winter and i even passed cops on numerous occasions but tonight my luck run out anyways the cop gave me a ticket for not having a licence also a ticket for not having plates and for not having signal lights in total 550 bucks in fines anyways i plan to fight the ticket

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
And so it begins the same things are going to happen from coast to coast friend of a friend got $650 fine in down town Vancouver for no insurance. And it is only going to get worse. The only thing we can do is get organized and start a writing campaign and start writing the MLAs that just might listen. And the other problem is there are only a hand full of us in Canada if only we could find a lawyer that would come on board with this other wise you can say good bye to the days of freely riding your bike down the road. It is not that frequent right now but the law wants these noisy bikes off the roads the same way they did the pocket bikes. I know this sounds bad there is a reason for that it is bad

peter carswell

Nov 18, 2009
Hamilton Ontario
well at least the cop did not have my bike towed as he threatened lmao and let me peddle home with my engine off the funny thing is i rode my bike all winter here in hamilton and i passed by the cops on numerous occasions and they never bothered me i am going to continue to ride my bike and thry to stick to side streets from now on for trips to work were i have to use a main road i will use my ebike i am going to bring this up with my mp also and as i have some legal training myself i am going to put that to use when i fight the ticket

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I was pulled over by the cops in hamilton this evening around midnight i drove my gas power mountain bike here in hamilton all winter and i even passed cops on numerous occasions but tonight my luck run out anyways the cop gave me a ticket for not having a licence also a ticket for not having plates and for not having signal lights in total 550 bucks in fines anyways i plan to fight the ticket
well at least the cop did not have my bike towed as he threatened lmao and let me peddle home with my engine off the funny thing is i rode my bike all winter here in hamilton and i passed by the cops on numerous occasions and they never bothered me i am going to continue to ride my bike and thry to stick to side streets from now on for trips to work were i have to use a main road i will use my ebike i am going to bring this up with my mp also and as i have some legal training myself i am going to put that to use when i fight the ticket

The officer really pulled one out of the proverbial hat with the no signal lights ticket didn't he...lol...kinda scratching my head about that one.

Anyway all of what he ticketed you with is not a legal requirement to operate a bicycle, even if it has been modified with a motor kit, on the roads of Ontario and nowhere in the HTA does it specifically without question say it is. Maybe head over to your local MTO office and ask them if you can register and get a licence plate for your modified bicycle, when they tell you no see if they will give you some kind of confirmation that they won't or can't. A confirmation like that has saved the day for some non compliant DIY E bike guys that got ticketed in TO. Be sure to request disclosure too before trial.

Good luck, ride safe and do keep us posted on how it goes :)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
There was a time when I was a young man that I thought about emigrating to Canada. Now I'm glad I didn't. There may be a time in the future that an old man riding his bicycle with a little motor on it, towing his dog or grandchild on a country road at a blistering 20 or 25 mph is considered an outlaw in Minnesota, a public menace and must be stopped from such trespass against his fellow man. If and when that happens it will be a sad day on Turtle Island. For my brothers in the wind on the Canadian side of the border I'm truly sorry and will celebrate with you if you can find a way to change this silliness. There are many beautiful and admirable things about Canada as a nation and as a people. But this is an ugly. intrusive and insidious thing, bad enough in it's own right, but indicative of a big brother is watching you mentality of micro management in another 'land of the free and home of the brave' democracy.
SB

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
And so it begins the same things are going to happen from coast to coast friend of a friend got $650 fine in down town Vancouver for no insurance. And it is only going to get worse. The only thing we can do is get organized and start a writing campaign and start writing the MLAs that just might listen. And the other problem is there are only a hand full of us in Canada if only we could find a lawyer that would come on board with this other wise you can say good bye to the days of freely riding your bike down the road. It is not that frequent right now but the law wants these noisy bikes off the roads the same way they did the pocket bikes. I know this sounds bad there is a reason for that it is bad
God help us. if this bad in canada, will be so in the states before long i fear :(

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
It's funny how some think when 4 or 5 cops out of thousands stop you because they don't know the law concerning these bikes, think the country is falling apart.lol

peter carswell

Nov 18, 2009
Hamilton Ontario
In my case i really do not blame the cop himself it was late at night and he was just doing his job my major beef is he could have let me go with a warning and not issued me a ticket but i guess i will just have to fight the ticket i guess but at the same time i found out that lately some people in hamilton were pulled over and issued much higher tickets than i received myself some upwards to $3000 in fines but for the laws to be changed in our favour there is a need for a bunch of people to get to together and push for change and i doubt that will happen in passive canada we are more likely to bend over and take it here which is sad

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
marts1, as Rockenstein said, they don't say that you can't put a gas motor on a bicycle in Canada. What they do is tell you that you can only put an Electric Motor up to 500W that will only make the bike travel at 32km/20mph. They are a power assisted vehicle and the e-motor is the only thing that you can use to power assist them.

A gas motor makes it a moped and that is a whole new ball game.

I do think though that you should tell the cop that pulls you over that he/she doesn't know what he/she is talking about. I've found over the years that when you tell them that the veins in thier neck tends to bulge out and then thier eye's go all squinty. You probably won't see any other physical changes because if things travel in thier normal pattern, and I'm sure they will, you will find your self face down in the gravel with your hands behind your back and a foot on the back of your neck. At least in my day they didn't have to read you your rights so you were in the cruiser that much faster.

Want to really impress everyone with your knowledge of the law? Tell the Judge he is full of Sh8t when he tells you your guilty.

Steve

peter carswell

Nov 18, 2009
Hamilton Ontario
you have a valid point there steve i did not bother arguing with the officer that pulled me over and was very polite which probably resulted in me receiving a lower fine and also my being polite and honest he even stated so was the reason he did not confiscate my bike and let me ride it home as for the coment about judges i have found that they to require you to be polite also when i go to court over my tickets i most likely will fight to have the tickets thrown out over techical stuff that is missing from the ticket re no serial number written down on the ticket from the vechicle i was riding etc instead of attacking someones knowledge of the law especially a judge

Reactions: fasteddy

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Peter, I've preached about this for a long time and have been told to shut up and I'm full of Sh8t.

Now the dogs come home and he was in a heck of a fight and lost. Once again if you have a gas motor on a bicycle you have a moped. You are on an unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured motor vehicle.
You can lose you drivers license, go to jail and at best after you pay the fines, the points you have lost will make your insurance go sky high if you can get any.

Peter, I have also preached that if you want change in Canada you have to get Ottawa's attention. Your MLA may be able to help but you need to get your MP on your side.

Maybe someone will get a rally going and Ontario is as good a place as any.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Peter, that comment wasn't aimed at you. That was for marts1 benefit.

The fact that you got off lightly shows that you took the right path. Found out real fast that Yes Sir and No Sir, Sorry Sir worked like a red carpet. I was patterning that reply after my old pal who had marts1's attitude.
He did tell a Judge and a cop that. We got to have some long discussions about who was the smarter of the two. The guy in jail or the guy visiting.

Hope you are able to get out of the scrape free and clear.

I'm no angel! The Fasteddy nick name came from a cop in Station 23 Traffic Division in Islington in the west end of T.O. on a warm summers night in July 1963.
Just a tad hard trying to explain why you and the guy in the car beside you were doing 95 in a 30 zone.

Steve.