Best way to get my MB registered in Colorado...

GoldenMotor.com

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Haven't ridden my MB in almost two years...since I have to have insurance and the registration sticker in Colorado to be able to ride my MB. Was looking at getting a 49cc scooter from a dealer...but with no credit history...that's gone out the window.

When I talked with the salesman at the local Honda dealer...showed him a picture of my MB and explained I had built it myself over the past several years. He told me I would need to get all of the paperwork for everything about it...including the sales receipt for the bicycle itself...and take it to the State Police to have them do the inspection. Being four years out and in my third state...since I got the MB...I don't have this paperwork. With this information...I decided...if I could've gotten the loan...to just get a scooter. To make matters worse...no one in Colorado Springs has any idea on what I need to do...except to keep telling me go to this state agency or to that agency.

Can anyone here in Colorado tell me exactly what I need to do? If I have to produce a papertrail...would it just be simpler to try to sell it to someone in a state which doesn't want to screw you over and take whatever money I can get from it and just get a 49cc scooter?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Im not here to steer you wrong. You need to do what you feel you need to do, but, I have never had a problem with my bikes and the local law. I've been riding and building motorized bicycles since 2007 and I've never 'registered' or insured my bikes. In fact I've gone so far as to have a Jefferson County Sheriff deputy ride one, while he was on duty, and even had one ask why I wasn't riding when he saw me pushing my bike through a car show.

My experience has been that if you ride responsibly and don't bring negative attention to yourself, ie, loud exhaust, reckless riding and excessive speed, that law enforcement has better things to do than to try to enforce ambiguous laws that they, and the people who wrote them, don't undertstand.

I've never been stopped or had a negative encounter with Colorado law enforcement. In fact I have a neighbor who is a Colorado State Patrol officer. He loves my bikes and has asked about me building one for him.

Let me stress that this is based on personal experience and I'm not advocating you break any laws. But we'd hate to see a member give up the hobby for the reasons you gave.

Tom

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Im not here to steer you wrong. You need to do what you feel you need to do, but, I have never had a problem with my bikes and the local law. I've been riding and building motorized bicycles since 2007 and I've never 'registered' or insured my bikes. In fact I've gone so far as to have a Jefferson County Sheriff deputy ride one, while he was on duty, and even had one ask why I wasn't riding when he saw me pushing my bike through a car show.

My experience has been that if you ride responsibly and don't bring negative attention to yourself, ie, loud exhaust, reckless riding and excessive speed, that law enforcement has better things to do than to try to enforce ambiguous laws that they, and the people who wrote them, don't undertstand.

I've never been stopped or had a negative encounter with Colorado law enforcement. In fact I have a neighbor who is a Colorado State Patrol officer. He loves my bikes and has asked about me building one for him.

Let me stress that this is based on personal experience and I'm not advocating you break any laws. But we'd hate to see a member give up the hobby for the reasons you gave.

Tom
Never had a problem in either Arizona or Idaho...but it seems like this state is only concerned with getting their cut.

Part of the problem I've found around here in Colorado Springs is (unlike in the other two states I've lived in) no one actually knows what the law is...but are more than willing to tell you something to make themselves look important. I don't mind paying that $5.85 for the sticker or getting insurance...but it seems like no one here in Colorado Springs knows anything about what I need to do and is more than willing to watch me bang my head against the wall.

As for speeding or breaking traffic laws...being around 250 Lbs and doing everything I can do to be seen by doing everything short of wearing a siren hat...means I've always been more safety conscious on the MB than when I'm driving. The hills around here & my weight take care of many of the issues of breaking the laws.

Thanks for the info! I'll figure something out...since it would be fantastic to be able to have the breeze hitting me in the face.

As soon as school is out...gotta do some maintenance to get the MB roadworthy by the time I move across town to a new place.