What are the laws in QLD for riding motorised bikes

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Not that it helps you guys much - but this isn't actually true, to the best of my knowledge you do need a valid driver's license in most/all states to operate any motor vehicle on the public roadways, including any form of motorized bicycle.
We still ride free in Texas, for the time being.

PoweredPedals

Nov 15, 2009
Sydney.Australia
They may be as you say illegal in Queensland BUT ICE are NOT illegal in all states.Check with your local authority.The rules for each state are created by each state.Do not trust word of mouth on this mater.I have spoke to too many people that have no idea of what they are talking about on this mater.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Just so you know, and you may be aware already, if the law in NSW says that ICE must be below 200 watts then any chinagirl engines (50cc or 66cc) would be above that and would be illegal. You may get away with riding it (for now) but if you run into a cop that knows his stuff you will be in trouble.

1 Horsepower = 745 watts...... so the 200 watt limit would be roughly 1/4 HP..... these chinagirls put out around 3 HP if im not mistaken, roughly 12 times the legal limit. As the policeman read to me from a document that he had that 200 watts was roughly a hairdryer (LOL)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I was pulled over riding this bike

Its a 1950ish Villiers 98cc (maybe 1-3 Hp, not sure) and i told the cop it was a 1/4HP vintage engine and he believed me, but pointed out (without me mentioning) that if this had been a chinagirl it would be way over the 200watt limit..... but was beside the point as he pointed out the laws had changed a couple years ago and any ICE was illegal. He said he liked my bike and sympathised with me, he was cool and advised me to go electric, let me off with a warning but said if he caught me again he could confiscate my bike (not sure if he can, but i dont wanna find out) and fine me....... i was pulled over again by another policemen and told the same....... i then went to QLD DOT and they looked up the rules which unfortunately said they were illegal.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I asked the first policemen why the laws had changed and he was fairly sure it had to do with EPA. Although these little 2 stroke chinagirls chew small amounts of fuel they are very polluting........ The same reason why motocross bikes first went four strokes, i remember how California were going to ban 2 stroke motocross bikes and they were such a big part of the market they started developing the four stroke...... unfortunately we get a total ban of ICE, where maybe some of the better 4 strokes should be legal. It blows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PoweredPedals

Nov 15, 2009
Sydney.Australia
Just so you know, and you may be aware already, if the law in NSW says that ICE must be below 200 watts then any chinagirl engines (50cc or 66cc) would be above that and would be illegal. You may get away with riding it (for now) but if you run into a cop that knows his stuff you will be in trouble.

1 Horsepower = 745 watts...... so the 200 watt limit would be roughly 1/4 HP..... these chinagirls put out around 3 HP if im not mistaken, roughly 12 times the legal limit. As the policeman read to me from a document that he had that 200 watts was roughly a hairdryer (LOL)
Correct.I Hope they keep the wording for this law so complicated.It makes it hard for even the police to understand.

Most of the people that I have hear of getting booked were doing something that brought them to the attention of the police. .duh.
dnut

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
200 watts isnt much, but with electric ive heard of those guys putting a switch which can limlit the power, in this case 200 watts. So if you are pulled over you could hit the switch and if they test it, it will be the legal 200 watts, and thats a big IF..... i doubt you would be hassled on an electric..... at least for the time being.

Downside is the upfront cost but as Aussiejester pointed out, the batteries will last 2-3 years constant use...... how much would we spend on fuel, 2 stroke oil and spark plugs? Whereas the cost to charge it would be minimal. Another downside is the shorter distances, but that wont bother me much as i live reasonably close to where i work (10km each way). I guess its up to the individual.

Last edited:

davechitown

Nov 1, 2011
chicago
Ride with a glass pack on ur tailpipe and a finger near the kill switch and say u are only peadaling it to repair shop to get it fixed make a way to disable it fast so it won't start if u try(close fuel line, remove spark boot

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Ride with a glass pack on ur tailpipe and a finger near the kill switch and say u are only peadaling it to repair shop to get it fixed make a way to disable it fast so it won't start if u try(close fuel line, remove spark boot
Both my Villers and Chinagirl motorized bikes are quite noisy, I think the police would end up hearing me before seen them, especially unmarked detective cars..... And even if I could convince them that it wasnt my bike they heard screaming along, I'm not sure how I would explain the EXTREMELY HOT engine...... The cops I've met aren't stupid and would take offense to being so obviously lied to, and then you would be in a lot more trouble....... You can try this but i wouldn't advise it.

davechitown

Nov 1, 2011
chicago
In chicago the thing becomes a tongue in cheek thing, they don't care and if u play for cameras ur good, if u can't rock the bikes then they are nothing

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
In QLD it's not a tongue in cheek thing...... And just because we can't "rock" our bikes it doesn't mean they are nothing....... I'm not sure what that even means, that's just a stupid comment....... I doubt it's like you say where you live, and even if it is..... It won't be for long.

Last edited:

Keringkien

Feb 15, 2012
Toowoomba, Australia
Well, Unfortunately, I have some different news Harry,

I have been riding my bike past multiple cops and they didn't seem to worry, of course the hairs on the back of my neck stood up though... I believe most wouldn't give a damn, even the Police Officer at my school seemingly doesn't mind. In regards to the overall consensus on whether the chinagirl kits are allowed, I have read on a few of the government sites stating that ICE's are allowed if they are under 200W OR 50cc. It is likely that the laws have changed and I am being lied to once again but what I see is what I follow, and for now thats my excuse. arand18, check it out on google or the zbox website, and make up your own mind, best of luck :)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
As i said previously, you may get away with riding your bike for a while, i did for probably a few months, even got the thumbs up from a cop. But then i was warned twice in a week. I have too much hard work in my bike to risk it having confiscated. Youre welcome to decide for yourself..... but the simple fact is ALL ICE bikes are illegal in QLD. I really wish this wasnt the case.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Registrat...sed-foot-scooters-and-motorised-bicycles.aspx

Read those rules and tell me how you say they are legal...... and by the way im not just going off the website. Ive gone to the department of transport on multiple occasions and told the same thing. In QLD ALL ICE bikes are ILLEGAL regardless of their capacity.

If you guys wanna still ride em go for it, but doesnt vhange the facts. Best of luck

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The last time i was pulled over was by a motorcycle cop, he was actually pretty cool and said he liked my bike, he said the laws had changed a couple of years ago.

ICE's are legal in some states (Not QLD) but they have to be under 200 watts, thats the rules that were in place before the change..... but like the policemen read me from information he had on hand, 200 watts is about a hairdryer (thats what it said on his piece of paper) so all chinagirls are illegal anyway. And they want proof that it is in fact under 200 watts.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Well, Unfortunately, I have some different news Harry,

I have been riding my bike past multiple cops and they didn't seem to worry, of course the hairs on the back of my neck stood up though... I believe most wouldn't give a damn, even the Police Officer at my school seemingly doesn't mind. In regards to the overall consensus on whether the chinagirl kits are allowed, I have read on a few of the government sites stating that ICE's are allowed if they are under 200W OR 50cc. It is likely that the laws have changed and I am being lied to once again but what I see is what I follow, and for now thats my excuse. arand18, check it out on google or the zbox website, and make up your own mind, best of luck :)
Can you supply the websites where you read that they are legal if under 200 watts or 50cc please? Because a judge isnt going to accept that a cop at your school didnt mind

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
You referred us to the ZBox website, i went to the legislation part and under the Queensland section it says the information was last updated 9 March 2008..... so the info is 4 years out of date. The policemen i talked to said the laws were changed a couple of years ago.

Funnily enough the link ZBox give backing up their info came up "requested page not found".... probably because the laws have been changed. Look for yourself

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/page-not-...nal_devices%2fMotorised_foot_scooters%2f.aspx

braithwa

Dec 6, 2013
Toowoomba QLD
I made my zbox bicycle when it was legal to ride one. Two years later, it was illegal. I was pretty sure I could get away with it in Toowoomba QLD, and I did for about two years. I rode past the cops and they totally ignored me. But one day, the guy who RUNS the cop shop, and his offsider pulled me over. I never got a warning, but got a fine of $360.oo. All it took was one cop who knew his stuff. I am pretty sure that most of the others did not. I recouped my money by selling my bicycle with zbox, for much more than the parts cost. I bought a postie bike. But I would sell it and put together another zbox in a jiffy if it were made legal again. Thinking of buying an electric bike.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Here in New Zealand a power-assisted cycle is defined as a bicycle that's fitted with an auxiliary electric motor that doesn't exceed 300watts. You don't need a licence to ride a power-assisted cycle and it doesn't need to be registered.

An bicycle fitted with an IC motor of under 50cc and a top seed of 50kph is described as a low-powered vehicle and must be registered as a moped.
Mopeds don't need to have regular warrant of fitness inspections, but they do have to conform to regulations on headlights and stop lamps, reflectors and direction indicators. You must have a licence to ride a moped.

There seems to be a grey area in NZ traffic regulations concerning auxiliary IC engines of 300 watts or under where pedals remain the principal means of propulsion.
As a lady just past middle age and of sober habits who dresses in an old fashioned manner I have yet to be stopped by our local police guys and girls because I do pedal and I do observe the speed limit and other traffic regulations. BUT on the other hand teenagers who jury rig weedeater motors onto their bicycles get pinged by the local police all the time.