will this motor work?

GoldenMotor.com

Chavo27

Apr 27, 2009
Indiana
I seen a video on YouTube where it said not all motors will work. This is the only one I have at the moment although I think a buddy has another weed eater that has a broken head. He would probably give it o me for free...

Attachments

Chavo27

Apr 27, 2009
Indiana
If you guys need any more pictures of different parts of the motor just let me know. I will post anything I need to get help.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That should be a direct drive if it's like all the Homelites I have seen. It will work, but you'll need to use some form of lifting mechanism so you can pedal with the engine off. That should be no problem to build.

Chavo27

Apr 27, 2009
Indiana
That should be a direct drive if it's like all the Homelites I have seen. It will work, but you'll need to use some form of lifting mechanism so you can pedal with the engine off. That should be no problem to build.
this all a new language to me so I'm going to have to do some research..

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That means there is no clutch, so in order to stop without killing the engine, you'll have to make some provision to lift the engine off the wheel/tire, since that type of engine would require a direct drive friction wheel arrangement.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
you'll have to make some provision to lift the engine off the wheel/tire

Bikeguy Joe is talking about a basic friction drive... the simplest way to motorize a bike.

sounds like allot of modifications that I have no idea about
If you intend to put a weed eater motor on a bicycle, of course you will have to do "allot of modifications" [sic]. You came to the right place if you want to find people who can help you make that happen.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you want easy but not cheap (the two don't seem to go hand in hand) then go for the Titan.

A two stroke in frame kit is fairly easy to install and only 100 dollars.
A friction drive with a weed wacker engine is really cheap, and the work involved is not too much more (some will say less) than the in frame option.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
put the engine on a rear rack,put a centrifugal clutch on the drive shaft,
small sprocket on driveshaft,bigger sprocket on wheel,use chain,