Motorcycle in the "Dlck van Dyke Show"???

GoldenMotor.com

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I must find this out- it will drive me nuts until I do.

In episode #125 of the "Dlck Van Dyke Show" entitled "Br-room Br-room" Rob buys a small motorcycle. In the episode, they referred to it as a "Geronimo", but I am sure that is a made-up name.

I need to find out what kind of motrcycle that was. It was very small- really pretty neat looking and probably a 2 stroke.

It kind of looks like a Zundapp.

I will try to post a pic from the show if I can find one.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
LP, Wiki suggest the Dick Van Dyke show started in 61 and if that episode was in the fourth
season then 64/65 would have been the lastest manufacturer year the bike could have been.
I believe the Japanese bike invasion began with the Honda 50's in the early 60's. Before the
Japanese the bikes would have been some domestics and imports from Spain, Germany, Italy
and perhaps some from France or England.

When I look at the tank of that bike Dick Van Dyke is sitting on the tank sticker looks alot like
this Ducati emblem

Could it be a variant of this design ?

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
The Handlebars and tank look quite similar to the Combinette, but the forks, headlight,
and seat are quite different. Could it be that there was another variant based on the
same unique "U" shaped Combinette frame. I read where the Combinettes were produced
under license in the UK. As I read about the Combinette the front suspension was considered
adiquate but nothing special. It may follow that in a later model they used tubular forks
and the simple seat replaced with a more standard motorcycle seat as for two people in
tandem ? (like the step thru Honda 50's only using heavier front forks) If it was to be an
export to the states, it may have even required a heavier build knowing that a young guy
would be riding his girl on the back.

The Mid sixties was famous for that with the Beach Boys tune about the little Honda Motor Bike.
"Honda, Honda...go faster, faster....." remember the tune ? So there may have been a export
to the USA market beyond the Combinette. But the bike Van Dyke is sitting on sure looks
like it's based on a Combinette.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Zundap? Oh my God. That was my first motorcycle. A 250cc if I remember right. 1962, maybe? Van Dyke's doesn't look like the one I had but when you mentioned that name it sure jogged some old brain cells. Thanks, Houghmade. :)
Funny story here. My parents didn't want me to have it and there was a lot of discussion. I made a poster for my bedroom wall..."Rebel Without a Zundap"...made my dad laugh and he bought the thing for me.
Tom

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I had the chance to get an "Italian" Harley that looked a lot like the Van Dyke in the pic. The imported Harley was made in either Spain or Italy I was told. :D

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Just as I thought, that red one is a " European" Harley or some other brand made by the same factory. I almost bought a cherry one in 1980 in Texas, but the guy wanted $500, I passed. In 1990 I was offered another one in bad shape here in Tucson. Someone else aggressively pursued the seller and got it before I did. :D

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
It was a joint venture between Harley and Aermacchi...sad part about this whole quest of mine is that one of my firends from high school actually had one...I think he still does. I should have remembered it.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
It makes sense. The stage prop people could have easily got the use of a bike
from a local Harley shop when Harley would have been more than happy to loan it to them.
Such a bike would have appeared to be an American made bike brand at a time import
bikes would have been seen as a growing threat to Harley. In this way Harley would have
had a product to compete with Honda and Yamaha and the TV show could get it some free
national advertising. I know of many a kid who's dad would have bought him a "made in the USA"
product over something Asian.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Weird thing is- and I watched the episode again last night- they used a ficticious name for the motorcycle: "Geronimo" and Harley did not even get a credit. Maybe Harley refused to pay, or maybe that's just the way they did things back then- no product placement.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
With the air cleaner on the left side it looks like a V twin. The array of spokes in the wheels
makes it look like an Indian. Possibly a Scout of the same vintage as the Harley VanDyke
was sitting on. That fuel tank has a sculptural look more than any Harley and the front cylinder
looks like a flat head. The front fender suggest Indian too. Indian was known for being
crafted like a Packard and didn't spare the extra effort in finishing their bikes.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
As for the bike Hough asked about that the "tough's" were riding,
I'm wondering if it was pulled from the prop pool and may have been
a custom made. Those who go out in search of props to acquire have an eye
for deals, estate sales, etc and things that could fit into many theatrical productions.

Indian Motorcycle Company made a "Junior Scout" up until 1942 that looks quite like it.
Imagine the lower front fender trimmed, a tandem seat installed (very mid-late 50's British)
and a few other little things and it would look quite like that bike.

Google Image Result for http://www.ohtm.org/images/mc_38in.jpg

Below is that other bike in the Van Dyke show:

Attachments