Fuel Mix Ratios

GoldenMotor.com

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
OH WOW, Where did you get that? I know Lucas oil makes some great products, but I didn't know they made 2 cycle oil (and its smokeless yet to boot).

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
OH WOW, Where did you get that? I know Lucas oil makes some great products, but I didn't know they made 2 cycle oil (and its smokeless yet to boot).
Pep Boys...it's like $2 a bottle

I was using Bel-Ray MC 1 full sysnthetic...switched over to save some $$$$ I am liking the stuff, it works great.

I ride a lot if you have not noticed

Attachments

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
Thanks fairracing31, I'll have to give that a shot. I wonder if some of these places would give a discount for bulk sales(if they aren't going to sell this stuff by the gallon). I just don't want to keep buying tiny bottles, I can measure out what I need with a measuring cup and dump it in the gas can with no trouble. I guess it's nice to use a tiny bottle and then toss it...it just seems a little like a nickle and dime scheme to me (and its not terribly environmentally friendly[kind of like bottled water]).

Last edited:

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
Ya, I like pinching pennies too ( good 'ol Lincoln has a clean nose for sure [no boogers] LOL :D ) I took a break from physics homework and ran my bike around the block a couple of times before the sun went down. Runs good, the plug (#7 IridiumIX ) was a little wet {but it wasn't an intolerable amount}. Emissions were low and temperature was decent. I've used the synthetic stuff that comes with a Weedeater and it's ok. I haven't done my homework on differences in price between synthetic and conventional. I'd also have to weigh the cost benefit (can you tell I'm a little Jewish?). Synthetic supposedly burns cleaner and protects better, but is there any scientific way to prove it (I've seen lots of "Snake Oil" products on the market)? I've used synthetic motor oils before, but if it works for years just fine on conventional what am I really buying? Cheap insurance? I guess, but is it really worth it? Some companies have fooled around with marketing, calling a 50/50 mix of conventional and synthetic simply "synthetic" motor oil and other times marketing "100% Synthetic" motor oil. Not trying to criticize anybody I just need to do some homework. What has your experience been with synthetic? Is it really justified? What about MPG? Speaking of which {sorry for getting a little off topic} Tires --- Is it a good idea to run with tires a few (-2 to -5) PSI lower to prevent skidding in an emergency stop?
just buy some amsoil from pablo...its expensive but if you figure the price out its fairly inexpensive...100 to 1 is great and its clean...i'm breaking in a new engine at 35 to 1 and its doing ok...when its broke in and i go 100 to1 that bike will fly...its a great product.....good luck...dennis

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can buy Poulan smokeless at walmart. I was using it until my a guy gave me a case of Penzoil as payment for some work I did. I used to use penzoil, then switched to Poulan. Full circle.

I have heard some say that the Poulan oil lowers performance, but I did not notice any change.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
"when its broke in and i go 100 to1 that bike will fly"

I'm speechless...100 to 1.....wow. I find that hard to believe . I use Amsoil but I've never heard of such a mix.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
"when its broke in and i go 100 to1 that bike will fly"

I'm speechless...100 to 1.....wow. I find that hard to believe . I use Amsoil but I've never heard of such a mix.

I don't recommend 100:1 with these rough engines. But yes Saber can be mixed up to 100:1 for various engines. Works great with some RC airplane engines, string trimmers and such with precision engines. It does go to show that 50:1-70:1 will be OK with Saber.

Ron-P

Jan 21, 2009
Surf City, CA
smoke is good. If you have no smoke you are completely burning you're fuel AND oil. Its not like a 4 stroke where smoke is a bad sign.
I have about 50 miles on my 2-stroke and am running 30:1 and I have no smoke. I'm using Ryobi Homelite Premium Synthetic Blend. Should I change anything?

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
something else worth mentioning is no matter what type of two stroke oil you end up using be sure it is for air cooled engines. Was speaking with the local marine engine guy that the oils for water cooled is different than air cooled oil.

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I use the Amsoil Saber synthetic 2-stroke from Pablo's site. I've used it for a while at 32:1 in my Chengine with no problems. It smells nice too!

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I was in Auto Zone one day to get an in line gas filter and some 2 stroke oil. I got a bottle off the shelf and asked the helper dude how much it was. He raised one finger, I asked him if it was 1$ and he said no, it's 1 cent. I should have gotten all the rest of the bottles also but I was just happy with my 1 cent quart of 2 stroke oil.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
There is one thing regarding fuel to oil mix ratios that has not been discussed.

The rate of diminishing returns:

On one side of the coin we have performance.

On the other side of the coin is engine longevity.

As tested here at the shop, there is a huge gain in performance from 16:1-24:1, after that the graph curve begins to flatten. Reduce the amount of oil beyond 24:1 and the performance benefits are marginal.

From 16:1-24:1 engine longevity is constant. From there, reducing the amount of oil will exponentially reduce engine life.

The exercise shows that reducing the amount of oil beyond a certain point offers little in the way of performance gains...with everything to lose longevity-wise, so why do it?

I realize there are a lot of variables to the above...but in general the rule of diminishing returns definitely applies.

Jim

Reactions: stevennf94