New Em3ev 50v Electric Bicycle Battery

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
I ordered a new 50v electric bicycle battery model INR18650-20R. I got it over a week ago and have put over 100 miles on the bike since I got it so I could give a decent review. It uses very high power cells the 18650-20R with NCA type cell, 10C rated with Capacity of approximately 1.95Ah. The electric bicycle battery pack is 11.7ah. Compared to my lifepo4 10ah pack I like it a lot better but there is some major difference in the lipo and lifepo battery’s. This new battery acts more like a regular battery meaning it slowly loses its charge unlike the lifepo4 that seems to go from full charge to dead in a few minutes, when I first charged the battery I was amazed at the speed and tourque the first few miles, on a stretch I usually do around 26.7 to 27.1 mph I was doing 29.3 mph, considerable difference, climbing hills there is a big difference also. Still have to pedal assist up the big mountain but with half the energy I had to use with the lifepo4 battery. Another awesome thing about the battery is it is considerably lighter than my lifpo4 10ah battery which is nice when I carry my e-bike up the stairs, the battery comes with a bag that fits in the frame that works for all their frame battery’s. They also make a 50v 25ah battery pack that fits in the same bag, the battery set in the triangle makes a huge difference on the handling of your motorized bicycle here is a link the em3ev battery’s. http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=35 I emailed back and forth with paul the owner many times before I purchased the battery, top notch and great customer service, the only drawback I can find with the battery is the bag works like a big sail so a cross wind will catch you off guard, I am making a new leather bag the size of the battery at this time which as you can see in the picture is a lot smaller then the bag it is in in and should fix the wind problem. Any questions you may have ask away, if I cannot answer them I will get an answer from paul

Attachments

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Thanks for the update Paul. When you told me the bag was too big, I didn't think it was that big. Maybe it fits the 25ah battery better. I've been thinking of putting some $ aside to get the 25ah battery fo my LTS build or using it on my beach cruiser to see if I can reach the 80 mile mark with two batteries.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
thank you motor motortriker, wait till you see it with the battery bag i am making for it, i am a good leather craftsman and always did one color finishes, this one has color in it to match the bike and so far looking good, should be done with it in a week or so and will post pictures,
em3ev 25ah pack weighs about the same as a 15ah lifepo4 easy rider, if i ever move back to the states i will definitely have one, on an island that is 28 miles long and 9 miles wide i didn't need all those amps plus living on second floor of a condo the darn motorized bicycle is heavy enough carrying up and down the stairs.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I like that frame bag. I have seen them on endless sphere a while back. Looks like you made a good choice. I find the lighter the battery the better the performance. Its going to look nice with the leather bag. Wish I knew how to do that. b.t.w. I feel your pain, I did the upstairs thing for a year and my knee started hurting and my shoulder and my elbow. I'm never doing that again.

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
the shipping was very reasonable and it got here fast after being shipped, i am very satisfied, my electric bicycle likes them to :)

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks for posting the great review Paul. Going to mod my home built pack to the 51.8v pack(14s). Makes so much more sense. Will come off the charger@ 58.1v at 95% charge(4.15v/cell). That's under the 63v rating on the controllers caps. Should be more fun longer!

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Great review as always!

I really looked at those batteries as a option to the Golden Motor batteries but I didn't like the cycle life for the price although Im sure its a superior battery. In my case I also needed a charger and GM provides at least a low end one and after dropping 1200 bucks there, freebie low end chargers will do for now.
Im still in sticker shock :cool:.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
the charger I got with it you can charge at 100% 90% or 50%. if you charge at 90% they are supposed to last twice as long which makes them comparable to a lifepo4 however of course I charge at 100% because I want all my power. the difference in size and weight is amazing

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Funny thing. I just ordered my batteries last night and 2 minutes later I switch over and see whats happening here and see this great review lol. Overall Im still happy I ordered the LifePo4 batteries because Im really new to al this, downside is the weight but compared to a sla they are feather weights lol.

Dan.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
dan the difference in the sla and the lifepo4 on an electric bicycle is night and day, you are going to be very happy, i still love my lifepo4 battery's. i mainly like this one the way it fits in the frame, attached is a picture of the case i am making for it and you can see how small it is to, the bag that came with it make it look huge and way to big for the battery. my grandson was great helping me with the picture, thank morgan!
the white around the edge is a bicycle chain, made a great border

Attachments

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Looks amazing (as usual) Paul!

I know you were going back and forth with battery placement, glad you have it worked out! Im going to put the 15ah battery on a rear rack unless Im in the woods riding trails then Ill use the wifes 10ah battery and a back pack. Well that's the plan lol.

Dan.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
thanks dan, this was my first attempt at coloring the leather, not done yet but i think it will be really nice, kids and grandkids flew in today so won't finish till they go back to the states in 10 days but thats ok. i may mount the new bag with battery at the bottom of the triangle for a lower weight, havn't decided yet. i designed it to put top or bottom

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
You are at the most advanced stage of ebike battery pack design.

Making the pack look cool on the bike.

Few have pulled it off.

You are doing it ! :) Go Paul ! :)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i have had family visiting the island for the last few weeks and now that they have headed home i am able to work on my bike. i decided to try something different and that is mount the battery as low as possible so i am not top heavy. just took for a test drive and wow what a difference especially when turning sharp turns, very happy with the results, i knew if i mounted this way everything will hit the battery, like puddles and dirt so i lined the inside of the leather with silicone and also i will probably have to clean the outside weekly which is fine. now it is time to fine tune, i will be able to shorten wires and make every thing nice and neat. i just slapped together to test ride and i am very excited. attached is a picture to give you an idea what i am doing

Attachments

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
Nice work Paul. I just picked up a Electra townie and want to mount a battery low in the frame like that. Did you need to buy anything else with this new battery or does everything that you bought with your Magic Pie ( motor controller, connectors and such) work with the new battery? Do you use a thumb or twist throttle on your bikes? I haven't ordered my Magic Pie yet, would you suggest I go with this new battery rather than the 48v LiFePO4?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i just told em3ev which connectors my magic pie had on it and they sent it with the correct plugs, i like the thumb throttle best. i like the lipepo4 batterys however i wanted one that i could mount in the triangle of the bike which is pretty small on my mountain bike and also something lighter because i have to carry the bike up the stairs and the lipo matched what i needed. i want an electra,. i think they are the nicest cruiser out their, get one with front shocks, i have a trek pure which is like the electra but it is not an electra lol

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...i like the thumb throttle best.
I don't normally - but ebike throttles have so little mechanical resistance I do prefer the thumb throttle for that... of note, they're so light duty that if you hit a bump or stuff a pothole hard enough you may drive the TPS right through it's mount, killing it dead or sticking the sensor in position, whatever that might be.

No worries, regen overrides throttle so it'll stop when ya hit the brakes, if no regen switch installed brake hard and you'll trip the overload relay & stop.

Now it's just a matter of some small phillips head screws & a lil dab of glue to hold the throttle position sensor (tiny square plastic bit w/hairs for wires) back where it's s'posed to be... again :)

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The battery bag came out nice and I'm amazed how much smaller the bag is compared to the original one. Can you take an down picture? I want to see how wide the battery is.
....just in case I want to get one. ;)