Ahhh Noobie confusion with battery choices, ah etc!

GoldenMotor.com

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Ive been trying to determine which battery to buy and I think Ive at least eliminated it down to the Lifep04. Im wanting to use a 48v 1000w wheel/hub specifically the magicpie 3 set up.

Ive seen sellers stating their batteries have a cycle life from 500-2000 (lifep04) and have max discharge from 20a to 50a. Some 48v 10ah batteries can be used with a hub up to 800 watts and a couple say up to 1000 watt. Ive seen prices as low as 300 to 650.

Honestly the ideal battery for me would be something like a headway diy battery that I could custom install on a board of some kind within the frame having batteries on both sides of it to distribute the weight and it looks kinda cool to boot. However these DIY kits are almost the same cost as one that's ready to go.

Ive also heard that one little mistake putting these together and p00f there goes your batteries.

Another confusing topic is mileage per ah. If you have a 15ah battery and you go say 30 mph you would get about 14 miles? what about at 20 mph or even 20 with pedal assist?

Do 15ah batteries have more torque for uphills than a 10ah battery?

Any help would be great guys. I have spent some late hours researching but between the job and new grand baby etc I feel like Im spinning my wheels.

I want to buy the right thing the first time out and with so many vendors it makes for a tough choice.

Dan.

*EDIT* While Im no electrician my biking buddy is a master electrician so any how to info/sites vendors would be super helpful :)

Last edited:

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
First off, what is your battery budget.
Second, always buy more battery power than you need. Less stress on them, which in turn make them last longer.

Torque is directly related to amperage. Voltage to horsepower. Range is measured in watt hours.
The magic pie II hubmotor w/phase wire upgrades and an aftermarket external controller will do 2000-3000W all day long. The Magic Pie can produce some amazing torque in its thin format. It uses mechanical advantage with its tall diameter.

Check this site out. He will built you anything you want as well and been serving the Endless sphere community for a while.
Link ----> 48V battery packs
Link --->Several A123 Lifepo4 packs

You don't need higher capacity to gain more torque. "Torque gain" is a combination of controller settings, choice of motor and battery discharge capability. If you want higher discharge for example and keep weight down, you can simply select difference cells to use in your pack.

Allcelltech also makes battery packs and you can get them in the US through several dealers.
Link ---> Allcell packs

The Magic Pie can put out some amazing torque. A good torque arm/bar is highly recommended.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Battery budget between 300-700. 700 is a stretch but Im a buy once kinda guy and will raise funds as needed.

Mostly my wife will be riding this and Ill steal it (um borrow) from her when she isn't using it. So if its used for commuting purposes Id say around 8 miles not at full blast the whole way. But I know me and Ill probably need at least 15ah. It would be nice to have something for the bike trails around here that's not a 2 stroker.

Thank you for the torque, horsepower and range explanation. Seems like I can wrap my head around that!

Ill look at the magicpie 2, what kind of battery does it take to run something at 2000 watts?!

oh and another question. Some batteries have a cycle life of 2000 charges. Where I live we are lucky if winter last 6 months so 1000-1500 charges would last several years. Does the Lifep04 degrade after say 3 years?

Dan.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Sorry! Another question. What does that vendor in general charge for shipping? I couldn't find it on the site.

Dan.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
It's hazmat shipping and a bit pricey. But if it will last you quite a few years, why not. 2000 cycles takes some care on your part as well. Don't deplete the cells all the way. Store them around 58% when in storage. All cells loose capacity after year, even if you don't use them.
The faster you, to more power you need. 2000W gets near 40mph. 1000W is around 27mph, which I currently ride my magic pie at in the cold weather.