Thoughts On These Batteries

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Considering using three of these in parallel for a 12ah pack to power a 36v 500w hub motor. My calcs show about 45mins of duration @ 500w. with mega amperage available. Am well familiar with lipos as I have been flying them in RC stuff since they first showed up, so am familiar with the handling of these batteries. @ slightly over 6lbs ea the weight aint bad either. I ride only on flat ground here on the coast so expect operation on half+ wattage. My other route is 22ah SLAs in series much cheaper and heavier(40lbs!)I realize the short comings of SLAs but and just getting into the electric thing and tring to get my feet wet as cheaply as possible the first time. Thoughts?http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ech_A_SPEC_4000mah_10S_65_130C_Lipo_Pack.html

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Those packs will do you good. You'll never stress them out. I take it that you know you can make them last longer by not depleting them below 15-20% capacity and charge them up to 4.15V per cell.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Those packs will do you good. You'll never stress them out. I take it that you know you can make them last longer by not depleting them below 15-20% capacity and charge them up to 4.15V per cell.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I have ruined a few lipos pulling them too low using early speed controllers meant for nicads. Gladly thats all ancient history now. I imagine my rather generic kit I bought has the speed controller set for SLA batteries limits, doubt it is adjustable. Found a neat digital volt/amp meter that's good for 100amps. Probably use one of them to keep up with discharge voltage. I have three chargers to charge the lipos with. Interestingly each battery is charged as two separate banks. After every lipo use if they are going to be idle for an extended period, I let the chargers discharge them to storage voltage, very important.

Initally this build will use a Wally $99 Fixie frame. There is plenty of room to mount the batteries centrally in the frame, believe it or not even the SLAs! Will keep the weight low.