stainless steel wool muffling exhaust

GoldenMotor.com

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
Hey will this work?
I want to stuff the end cap of the stock exhaust pipe with steel wool. Just the cap. Is this a bad idea, will it get sucked out of the end cap? thought i might try it to see if i can get the max hush on the muffler side.

Ive already wrapped the pipe with exhaust wrap. and the intake with intake wrap. ive put some insulating material on the clutch cover too as well as some sound deadening undercoat paint.

Attachments

shwnrttr

Dec 2, 2009
titusville, florida
not sure about scouring pads. but just packing the end cap isnt going do much if any sound dampening. when i used to build the 2 stroke china kits i would buy a muffler from a cr 85 dirtbike. those will help with performance and sound. you can find em cheap on ebay. you can also buy a repack kit for them which replaces the old muffler packing. then cut the stock muffler off and weld on the new one(pipe is the same diameter)

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
Hey will this work?
I want to stuff the end cap of the stock exhaust pipe with steel wool. Just the cap. Is this a bad idea, will it get sucked out of the end cap? thought i might try it to see if i can get the max hush on the muffler side.

Ive already wrapped the pipe with exhaust wrap. and the intake with intake wrap. ive put some insulating material on the clutch cover too as well as some sound deadening undercoat paint.
use fiberglass matting from home depot or go into your attic and pull some out.. its designed not to catch fire.. and its what is used in mufflers on road cars performance mufflers

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Go to your local motorcycle shop they should have some muffler packing there for you . Follow the directions on the bag don't pack it to tight or to looses . FMF has packing for both two and four strokes .