Urgent help needed with Jackshaft / Chain Problems (Predator 212cc)

GoldenMotor.com

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Ooooooooooooook here we go......

As some of the people here know. I am building or basically finished building my first complete ride. For details and pics, here is the link to the thread:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=43358

Now.. I wanted to use my old china cr*p kit rear sprocket because the only way to install it was by drilling through both walls of the hub because I use 68 spoke rims (also see details in the thread of the bike).

I originally planned to use

12 clutch #35
22 JS in #35
11 JS out #41
44 rear #41

but I ended up with

because the JS in sprocket with mount..

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm...re_Code=A&Product_Code=0502&Category_Code=PCJ

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm...e_Code=A&Product_Code=0520*&Category_Code=PCJ

.. did not fit the mount and neither did it fit the shaft with the key, it had a lot of movement on the shaft so I replaced it with a 15t I had lying around because in the beginning I thought the problem I have could be caused my that. Sadly my ratio got MUCH higher with that exchange.

So here is my actual problem:

When I accelerate from dead stop it pulls away with the killer torque with no problem at all, regardless of the high gearing, but as soon it rolls with 5mph and I keep using a little bit of throttle, the chain vibrates like crazy around the jackshaft and especially after JS out to the rear sprocket between JS out and tire. I deleted one possible cause after the other, including grinding the JS out sprocket because the chain used to jump there and didnt get in correctly so now its grinded like the rear sprocket so a #40 bicycle chain could fit but nothing of what I did changed the problem that as soon its rolling, its "crunching" like the chain doesnt get into the small sprocket from JS out because of the combination of turning speed and vibration. I installed two chain idlers/tensioners today and its slightly better but only if I pull the throttle with almost close to zero throttle. As soon I give it some juice, it sounds and feels horrible all the way through the frame. Very unhealthy sound.

So right now after installing the tensioners I also cut together a BMX chain from my friends store to the right size and its a tiny little bit better, meaning I can go higher speeds if I accelerate extremely carful but I can literally almost not use any throttle or if it slightly goes uphill it crunches like crazy.

So with all that done it MUST BE the small JS out sprocket. I thought it might be too small and because I am using a #41 chain, it might not get around quick enough due the small size of the sprocket and I thought maybe I needed to change my setup to a #35 all the way to the rear too, but then I looked up a conversation with buck0 (David) from whom I bought the engine and I realized that he too was using a bigger chain for the rear:

"I ran a #35 chain to the 22 tooth then the other side was a #415 chain and used a 9 tooth"

Even smaller sprocket than I did. So what in the world could be the problem???

At this point I start to wonder if cutting the tube of the jackshaft (also explained in the thread) could cause that vibration, but then again, when its rolling without throttle it works. The problem only comes up when I use throttle.

I know the high gear ration doesnt help but right now I doubt that if I had a 60t sprocket in the rear, anything would change since I cant even get to a speed where the clutch engaged completely.

I have a million options like getting a 26t JS in sprocket and a larger JS out sprocket, or switching to a #35 chain and sprockets all the way but before I waste another week and 100 bucks for nothing, I would like to have some help because I really am out of ideas. I tried everything I could.

Thank you very much!!!!

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Hmmmmm.. I am wondering if it could be also something else now that I read through all that again. Because the shaft sticks out more on the JS out sprocket than at the JS in sprocket. Maybe that causes the extreme vibration. I could try to move it to the other way towards the JS in sprocket as well.........Its not in the middle. I didnt think of that before.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Your sprocket choice is way off and I am not sure you are using the right chain sizes. The jack shaft chain should be #35 and the chain to the back wheel should be 415 to work right. I am not sure if your sprocket on the back wheel is designed for 415? It also sounds like your clutch is chattering due to the gearing you have.

Take some close up pictures to show us. And I can show you some pictures if needed.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Anytime. I know the gearing is very long, but as I said, from dead stop the power of the engine pulls that thing away like nothing. So it cant be the ratio at all. Let me take some picture with the iphone of how it looks in this moment. I am attempting to move the shaft to the other side because its not centered.

I use a #41 chain and the sprockets would fit also a #40. The JS sprocket I bought for #41 sprocket did NOT work with the #41 sprocket because some links did not get in complete and jumped and cracked instead so I grinded the sprocket and its better.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I moved the shaft more to the JS-in sprocket than the other way around and reinstalled the 22t sprocket at JS in. So now I have

If its still the same tomorrow, I am completely clueless.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
After trying the 22t sprocket again that gave me problems before because it had too much space moving around freely at the key, I am starting to nail it down to the clutch itself. I cant even get it to run now with the 22t sprocket because of the power when the clutch engages. It ripped the 22t mount wider again and now the whole sprocket (22t JS-in) is moving again as it did before and the vibration makes it impossible to even get it moving.

I read about the thermodynamically designed clutch shoes I have (sadly after ordering) and that they seem to engage pretty violent. So maybe thats the main problem I have, giving way too much vibration on the jackshaft and so on the sprockets there and from there to the chain.

What do you guys think?

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Except for the WD40 (which will be burned off in a second because that clutch is on fire in a second) I tried to get it going and then open the throttle slightly or little more. I got it to speed 10-15mph it rolls good without clutch and as soon the clutch engages everything shakes and crushes around the JS-out sprocket and the chain vibrates like crazy and I mean crazy! More than an inch left right and everywhere else. and that is when its super tight as it could be.

I am probably ordering this one tomorrow:

http://www.bmikarts.com/item/Clutch---35-34-400935-3162

Plus a one piece 20t sprocket from the same guys. If David drove it with the same JS-in sprocket/mount (and for me it get damaged just from engaging the clutch) and a 9t sprocket with same chain works and for me a 10t doesnt work, it can only be the clutch.

This is the one I have btw - completely metal.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
I don't know if this will help you, but looking at your original build thread, post #35 shows your Hillard clutch works 3/4" bore, 12 tooth and #35 chain. From the above posted pictures, it looks like your chain from the clutch is larger than #35.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
Hi, Dave is my brother and you have a nice engine. So I have been reading your posts wanting see your bike run and it must be very frustrating to be so close. Just a few thoughts about your problem, does your current clutch have a 'stall speed adustment' if so adust it to engage at a higher rpm. second, do you think you are getting frame flex when putting the power on, and lastly, is the engine twisting at the mounts. I remember CCC had to install an engine mount at the front of his engine to stop the twisting.

I built Dave tensioners that mounted on the rear axle to prevent the wheel from moving forward during acceleration.

My philosophy is to spend little $$ first before sponding losts. good luck

Last edited:

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
hey, yes david told me a lot about your builds. no, the stall cant be adjusted. the frame is stiff as it could be. and the engine as well is mounted as hard it could be, so is the jackshaft. i really looked into every possible cause and everything points at the clutch since yesterday.

as for the rear chain tensioner i will order one too, i will need one, but this is not the cause of my problem here, it happens even when the chain is super tight.

the clutch i want to order is just 25 bucks, so i will do that. i also want to try the wd40 thing after i took of the 22t sprocket again because that one was damaged by the vibrations and the mount is junk now.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I am going to have to be right up front: You did not do your research well, if you did you would not be in this mess. Now you chose to sell the clutch you have to some other person who may have the same issues as yourself...not good. I see you are going to purchase another low end pos and try that, it's going to do the same thing. Sit back for a second, study some builds then order the correct parts...I see to many people jump on builds and end up spending all kinds of cash on "lets try this" Sh-t.

The big motors are fun...but that fun ends real fast when you can't stop that bike. Look over my bikes, I have spent a lot of time and money on the brakes, I built these bikes for the challenge and fun of it...now they just sit waiting for race day. These engines are not daily riders...too big, too heavy...too fast...and too much trouble when busted...I am not in a position to face the fines at my age...lol

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
culver - your the man! i put everything back together, still same sh*t, then i sprayed wd40 on the clutch shoes and voila - works like a charm.... for about 30 seconds until the wd is gone haha. so i will order a different clutch and sell this one. i think this clutch would work good with a smaller engine but not with the 212cc.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I bought hydraulic motorcycle brakes. They work so well that Im worried some car will crash me. Very powerful.

BTW I sell the clutch because I think it works well with any smaller engine. The problem here is the power of the engine with this clutch.

Last edited:

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
I would make sure you can adjust the stall speed on the next clutch. How does the bike roll without the engine on? take it down a hill and get the speed up and see if there is any binding on your drive train. as CCC said brakes are most important, all my builds have front and rear disc brakes only.

When Dave was running a torque converter belt drive we used heavy duty bearing grease to get things slipping

waiting till race day...

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Just for future reference we use the term Jackshaft for 'Highjacking' a motors left side output over to the right side so you can use the bikes gears via a shaft and this just a gearbox or torque converter.
...the frame is stiff as it could be. and the engine as well is mounted as hard it could be, so is the jackshaft. i really looked into every possible cause and everything points at the clutch since yesterday.
Nice looking build, bummer about the drive train.
You have two chains so here is a tip on all the combinations of things that can cause your problem.

Back Wheel.

The rear sprocket must be true in all 3 directions and fit the chain.

Starting from the left in the pic the two sprockets need to be aligned.
By this I mean as straight in chain line as you can get.

Check that with the wheel on, the rest have to be checked off the bike.

Next is back and forth wobble in the wheel itself (bearings, axle) or the sprocket mount itself.

I just stick an old front fork in the vice, bolt the wheel on and see if the bearings have play first, then spin it and focus past the sprocket at a fixed objects on the other side and see if the sprocket goes up and down or wobbles back and forth.

This sounds like the source of your problem and likely since you did a custom job mounting the rear sprocket to the wheel.
as for the rear chain tensioner
If you need one so be it, if you just want one for easy adjust chain adjustment no problem but two is just silly in my book as even one is just another part to go bad and if your sprockets are right you don't need one at all.

Motor Side

If your Cint clutch is bad that would affect your first chain but not your wheel drive chain. It pretty much has to the motor moving, a shaft problem, or mismatched sprocket and chain sizes in the final drive for violent drive chain wobble.

From the left the chain needs to be straight with equally right sized sprocket widths, and the output sprocket as mentioned above needs to match in line and size with the rear and the chain.

Otherwise there might be motor movement, hold your frame top bar with hand hand and shove you motor back and forth AS HARD AS YOU CAN, if it moves AT ALL start there because nothing else down the line will work.

The only other thing I can think of is the bearing or shaft in between the two chains. If it wobbles or the shaft is bent pretty unlikely.

Sorry I couldn't just give a direct fix answer but that is how I would go about fixing it in that order.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Hi KCvale. Thank you for your long answer but I already pointed the problem 100% to the clutch and the way it engages in a combination with the power of the engine already in very low rpm.

I sprayed WD40 on the clutch and the problem was gone completely. So I need to replace the clutch. Everything else you mentioned was checked first and is ok. Thank you!