Special Needs 26" Schwinn Trike Front E-Hub?

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I have a customer that wants me to build her a motorized Trike for her son that has vertigo and can not maintain his balance and 'mechanically challenged' as well I suspect so I think a front E-hub is the best route.

She bought a new 26" Schwinn single speed trike and has $550 left.
I said I would install it for $50 just so I can add an electric trike to my examples of builds so that leaves $500 for the electric system.

Top speed is not an issue, 20MPH without pedal assist is fine, and 20 miles between charges would be fine as well.

A hub with built in controller that will use 12V to 48V from any battery source sounds best to me.

I figure start with the cheapest 12V or 36V battery and charger like a SLA or NiCad and let the remaining funds dictate the hub, then when that battery dies he can drop in any LiIon pack he wants.

Any suggestions?

Thanks ;-}

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sounds like a magic pie would be the thing. Simple, reliable and in the price range. It might not get 20 mile range though with SLA batteries. Somebody else would know. How big is the kid and how hilly the area?
SB

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
how far they get depends on how much they pedal assist. it makes a huge difference to assist up hills and starting by pedaling. those 2 things make the biggest difference. it is amazing how much distance you can add doing these things. when in a hurry i am all motor with no pedaling or when playing. with a trike balance is not a major factor so sla would be ok to start but lifepo4 batteries are way superior. also they are light in comparison and good for charging over and over again. i can hold my 48v 10ah with one finger. magic pie motor i have and think it is a great motor also they can be ran 12, 24 or 48 volts

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks for the prompt replies.
The unlaced hub itself shoots his wad.
I like the hub, and all the stuff with no cheap way to upgrade shoots his wad as well so he might as well just wait until he has some more money as I have determined you just can't put a complete electric front hub system on for $550.