AMF Courier 3 build

GoldenMotor.com

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
Well its time for a new 4 stroke build. The frame on my last four stroke got tweeked in an accident. I actually got this bike for free from my apartments maintenance guy. Its a gold colored AMF Roadmaster Courier 3 cruiser. Its got a 3 speed hub. From the looks of it, it needs tubes and a good chain lube. The tires dont look cracked or rotted. Im going to end up using the peanut tank for now until i an make a template and try making a tank out of aluminum at work. I am also thinking about swapping out the bars to something a little more comfortable.

I really like the front fender, but it seems a little flimsy and i dont want it to bust and get sucked into my front tire.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
My build started out as an AMF cruiser. That's what I still use as my main frame and the original fenders but I had to reinforce the fenders quite a bit to work properly. I would recommend doing that for sure. The handlebars work great when flipped over boardtrack style as well.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
So a little update. found out the motor mounts for my four stroke wont fit this frame, so im going to use the mounting plate and make my own mounts at work when i get a chance.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
Finally shes running. Fitted a old moped tank from a Batavus onto it. I also repropriated my springer forks off of my chopper for use on this ride. The tank holds about a gallon and a half of fuel which is pretty nice.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
Here is the reason why i left the back fender on, it has an old bike registration sticker from 1984. I christened the bike George in homage to the Orwellian reference.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
I built them my self at work, The main forks are off of a old road bike with washers welded to the drop outs to hold the pivot bolts, the rockers are stainless steel with oilite bushing inserts for the pivot points. The silver fork is 6061-T6 aluminum, 1/2x1inch, bent so there is no welds. The springs are fleet farm specials, and the plate that hold the springs is more Stainless. I used 2 sets of springs so that i have some rebound dampening. i like Monarch forks, but the lack of a rebound spring scares me, if you rebound hard the forks are going to hit their stops and jar you. Theres a reason why motorcycle springers use dual springs. I used nylon washers between the 2 forks and the rockers to act as a dampener so that it doesnt pogo while riding. All told i have about 4 inchs of suspension travel and it really smooths out the ride.

DIANY

Mar 8, 2012
nampa
what about the bolts? are those welded??? what did you Use bolts?? or did you use just a steel or alumunim bar and thread it??? what kind of bolts?? any tips on getting them even and straight?? how long did it take you??? how much did it cost?

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
the bolts are all 3/8s stainless, on the rockers they have a nylock nut first, then a regular nut locking them in place. the big bolts that go threw the springs was 2 chunks of 3/8s stainless rod that i threaded on one end, and then welded a nut on the other end, then they were just slid threw 2 holes in the aluminum forks. for keeping thngs straight and even, measure twice atleast, and drill/cut once. these forks took me about an hour and a half sitting down with my bike measuring and planning, then an hour at work to make them. i only paid about 5 bucks for the springs, all the rest of the material i got for free at work. but i would say that there is about 50 bucks of material in the forks. i take some more pictures for you and post them up some time today or tomorrow.