Mesh CVT To Jackshaft

GoldenMotor.com

corim123

Oct 20, 2011
georgia
Okay so I need to reverse the rotation coming from my engine and the easiest way seems to be via a jackshaft and to have it mesh directly with the output of the CVT. Does anybody think this would be problematic or have a better implementation? If I use chain to connect those it won't end up turning it around so I can't realyl think of another solution besides this.:-||

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
do not see a reason to reverse rotation
motor chain on the left to a sprocket mounted to a adapter that allows a sprocket to be solidly bolted to the left side of the hub
chain from the pedals on the right like the bike came
been done here a few times
magrider and scotto have couple of the best builds

corim123

Oct 20, 2011
georgia
There is no other way to comfortably mount this engine. I need to reverse the direction so that it will provide power in the right direction to the wheel.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
thats alot of power your dealing with and to make the parts correctly you would need a machine shop with a mill. You need to find 2 grears that will mess togather and not the ones used for chain with at least 5/8s shaft or more. Shafts will need bearings on both sides. then your going to need to find the space to mount this and figure out how to make it so it can be pedaled. If you do not get the chains lined up perfectly the chains will jump off the sprockets or just break

corim123

Oct 20, 2011
georgia
Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
you can reverse power rotation with a chain, idler sprocket and a jackshaft.
Solidly mount a slightly large idler sprocket about 10-12 inches, more or less, as needed, somewhere behind the engine.
Put a chain on the motor and idler sprockets.
Mount a jackshaft in between them, so that the jackshaft sprocket engages the outside of the motor chain. The larger idler is so the chain can bend around the jackshaft some without the motor chain rubbing it's opposite side.
Voila, instant reversal of the jackshaft rotation!

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Someone here in DIY I think, did something similar, had pics. But the power was to the pedal sprockets with a freewheel shift kit. He had his idler under the pedal sprockets.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Has no effect. Just needs to be large enough to allow the outside of the chain to bend around the jackshaft sprocket without rubbing on itself opposite of the jack sprocket.