Predator Components

GoldenMotor.com

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Hey guys I am planning on my predator build and am going to buy all the stuff very soon. I made a list of all the components I think I need. Can anyone tell me if there is anything I could cut or anything I missed? I'm going for lowest cost possible.

Also I will be putting my MTB fork on which has very strong v brake. Thats why no brakes on list.

And what drive ratio should I go for? I would like the motor to cruise without being wound out at 30, but still pull hills well (is this impossible?) as I've got some big ones, not long, but VERY steep. Walking down I think you would roll all the way down if you trip, about .2-.3 miles each.
With the JS at 11/22, would output 9/48 be okay for my purposes? This gives me 29 mph at 4k rpm. Governor removed of course. Is this an okay engine speed? Max at 6k indicates 43.5 (I don't plan on going that fast!). Will it pull hills, or is that too high a ratio at 10.67?
My current chinagirl bike and I weigh a tad under 200, with a 41T I have to heavy pedal assist up these things.

------------------------------------------
WM HUFFY CRANBROOK: 80

HF 99CC PREDATOR: 110

AGK Jackshaft: 135
AGK CLUTCH: 40
AGK COVER: 45
AGK MOUNT PLATE:25
AGK SHIPPING: 13
AGK TOTAL:::::::::::::: 257

DAX THROTTLE: 13
DAX FUEL VALVE: 4
DAX CHAIN: 12
DAX FUEL LINE: 2
DAX SHIPPING: 9
DAX TOTAL:::::::::::::: 40

PB 2.5 TANK: 25
PB SPR ADAPTER: 60
PB KICKSTAND: 25
PB SHIPPING: 15
PB TOTAL::::::::::::::: 136

TOTAL:::::::::::::::::::613

-----------------------------------------

.trk.trk.trk.trk

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Where I live hills are everywhere, so most of my builds are built around hill climbing. The Preddy has pretty good power. Even so I would feel more comfortable with a ratio in the 12s. The 97cc Lifans I have been running are very happy and actually smoother at 4400rpm at cruise than they are around the upper 3Ks. Have not tach the Preddy but it also is smooth turned up a bit. Seems I would rather turn em a little more at cruise and have the ability to climb most any hill with out assist.

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
I am going to weld it on. And if 4400 is good as for cruzin, then 27.3 mph is just okeydokey. My main issue was just with the overreving, seeing as how 3600 is max rated... lol

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
What have you considered regarding improvement for the cranbrook wheels/spokes?
They are kinda soft... especially if putting a 4stroke to them, imo.
Best
rc

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
I just built one, The mounting plate that comes with the Pred99 is the same way I went, Install your chain, orient the motor with the plate bolted onto the engine, get your chain tension correct or close, tac weld 4 corners, roll the bile around, ensure chain is running true. I don't know about the spider adapter, I use a sportscarpat adapter for my CB110, fantastic product, and if you loosen one of the allen bolts holding it together, you can tap it in or out to align chain. My total reduction is 13.2:1, but I have a 29" rear wheel(9" more rollout that a 26" wheel) the hill climbing is fantastic and the cruise is nice, my guess a 56T on the rear would work, that motor is a torque monster!!

R/Mac

P.S. See JBCruzin HF99 build thread in this section, Pix of my bike are on there.

Last edited:

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
I actually might also go with sportcarpats adapter, that is if pistonbikes really is out of stock. Th little sprocket select thingy has no options. I emailed em, and if they're out, im getting sports, as it's cheaper than pirates, and looks a bit nicer.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I bought 2 different engines from HF and neither had a mounting plate.

On the gear ratio- my engine (a 79cc) is flat out around 5000rpm @ 33mph and with that ratio (whatever it is) and hills bog it down. I am running thru a sturmey 3 speed as a jackshaft, so I drop to 2nd for hills- which give around 25 mph at the same flat out rpm. If you use the governor (which is nice) you have even less speed available.

Note- going fast on a bicycle pounds the daylights out of your body on any road that is not perfectly flat. Even my typical 13 mph exercize- speed is rough over the little bumps in the city roads. If you want to go fast, I suggest a real moped. or utilize full suspension.

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
12.9:1 and it bogs on hills? Wow, hopefully the pred is a bit more powerful... How much do you+bike weigh?

Also, how in the world will suspension help me go fast? I'm already planning suspension forks, but whaa?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I bought 2 99cc predators, they both came with mounting plates which I didn't use.
I disconnected the govenors on mine. They can run at 5000 rpm continuos without problems.
I have one on a belt/fricton drive 2 speed build with a 9.75:1 ratio in high. It climbs steep hills in high gear as long as I hit them with moderate speed to have the engine in it's power band.
IMAG0017.jpg

Suspension won't help you go faster, it'll help you WHEN you go faster.
The Cranny wheels have 12 guage spokes. The spokes are sorta loose from the factory. The hubs sometimes don't have but a dab of grease.

I trued and tightened my Cranny wheels and they came out good. I'm gonna try them on my new Preddy vari-speed tranny experiment.

IMAG0190.jpg

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
I am building this exact setup as we speak... Everything is mounted and good to go, just waiting on the jackshaft and clutch to stop being backordered on AGK.

Here is what I am using to put it all together

---------------------------------------------------------------------

affordablegokarts: Jackshaft Assembly for 79cc HF Engine

affordablegokarts: Max Torque Clutch

affordablegokarts: Output Shaft Bolt Kit

affordablegokarts: Motor Plate for 79cc HF Engine

affordablegokarts: Chain Guard / Clutch Cover

Ball Bearing Chain Tensioner [4S-CDS-BBCI] - $12.99

Standard 9 Hole Sprocket (48 tooth) - $19.99

Standard Twist Throttle Kit w/ Matching Left Grip - $15.99

1/2 Gallon Gas Tank (black) [4S-FS-GTB] - $29.99

Black V-Frame Mounting Plate Kit [4S-ACC-VMKB] - $29.99

Predator 99 cc OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine - Certified for All States Except California

Manic Mechanic adapter - $45

Misc parts for exhaust and other stuff - $20

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my build thread!

http://motorbicycling.com/f36/schwinn-predator-99cc-build-thread-36029.html

Last edited:

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
Tell me how it climbs hills once your all done.. Will a standard 9 hole sprocket work with manics adapter?
No, a standard 9 hole will not work immediately with the adapter. I will have to drill 3 holes in the proper spot so that it can be used with the adapter.

I have very high hopes for it's hill climbing capabilities because Wayne was able to climb steep hills (with a little starting speed) on a 9.75:1 ratio, and I will be using a 10.667:1 ratio.

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Hmm, Since I might use a 60's raleigh bike with 24" inch wheels, a 48 tooth appeals to me... Where are you getting your adapter for only 45, piratecycles?

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
the 212cc has a ton of performance parts available, not to mention 2x the cc. stronger valve springs will let you rev higher, there are cam kits and tons of awesome hop ups. and it's only $20 more!

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
Yessir officer is most definertly a 48cc...

I got stopped today on my chinagirl and the cop barely beleived it was 50cc. A 212 would be quite difficult to argue.