99cc Predator Build

GoldenMotor.com

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
A friend of mine just got a 99cc Predator engine for a new build I'm helping him with. For the drive we're using an EZ. I'll post pictures as we build the bike. I'm going to try to get over to my friend's house today to get some pics to post. ( I started this thread before but the mods said it got off topic & it ended up in "Swap & Shop")
Jay

Last edited:

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi jbcruisin. I'm a big fan of all the EZM transmissions. The end result is important, however I feel the learning as we build is the priority. Which bicycle frame are you using? The low-RPM Q-Matic engages I believe at around 2600-2700 engine RPM which will be well into the torque curve coming from a stand still. You'll be using the wider AX belt designed for increased torque, this sounds good, I'll be following your thread. Thankyou.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
JB,
Just test drove my Pred99 with the EZM Q-matic today, still have to do a bit of stuff to the bike it's self, better kickstand, front fender and a nicer fuel tank. I'll say this, I converted the High RPM to a low RPM, drilled mount holes as needed, fab'ed throttle linkage and exhaust, still using the High rpm belt, will get a "L or AX" for longativity. The torque is amazing!! new motor so I didn't see high speed. I will tell anyone attempting to run a HF79/99 to buy a low rpm Q-matic vice modifing a High rpm one, lots of work. Good luck on your build, if you need any Pix let me know, not that you'll need it, but it might help.

R/Mac

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
I have issues posting PIX on the forum, seems I can build CPU's and fix virus stuff and hardware malfunctions, operation of said machines is another story!! My personal E-mail is

[email protected],

drop me a line and I'll send some pix, someone can post 'em here with my permission(which I just gave!) I will have them tomorrow. Put HF(HF99 PIX) in the subject line so the spam filter does not zap it.

The bile is a OYNX 29er cruiser, has a suspension 26" front fork and tire.

R/Mac

Pictures have been moved to Mac's pred99 build

Last edited:

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I have issues posting PIX on the forum, seems I can build CPU's and fix virus stuff and hardware malfunctions, operation of said machines is another story!! My personal E-mail is

[email protected],

drop me a line and I'll send some pix, someone can post 'em here with my permission(which I just gave!) I will have them tomorrow. Put HF(HF99 PIX) in the subject line so the spam filter does not zap it.

The bile is a OYNX 29er cruiser, has a suspension 26" front fork and tire.

R/Mac
Just sent you my address.
Jay

Please post a lot of pictures so others can see. Pictures are worth thousands of words.

I am interested in seeing the various ways the throttle cable can be attached, as I am considering making a throttle kit to make things easier[see photo].

We are also interested in the various way to re-route the exhaust system.

Several have run the exhaust straight up and then towards the rear, but the pipe is real close to the left leg. I "clocked" the exhaust manifold and ran our flex pipe kit forward and then down [like most motorcycle systems] under the motor.

Happy New Year and "Have fun".

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
This sounds like a good combination, the HF 99 with Q matic. The advantage I can see with the HS is that it is completely legal in states where the bigger engine would not be. For the additional hill climbing capability I'd do a bit of fibbing and go with the HF. If I lived in flat land country and hills were not an issue then the HS is a good choice. It is a very nice running motor.

I have an HS with Qmatic on a 50 Panther and did have a 79cc greyhound with Qmatic on a 51 cantilever Schwinn. The greyhound pulled a good bit better on hills, so I can well imagine the bigger Predator would be better yet, just about eliminating the need for a two speed transmission (which I have been coveting for some time).

Quenton, designing a good and simple throttle linkage kit would be a plus, especially for first time builders.
SB

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Here is what I did. The picture is a little fuzzy but I think it will do. I removed the governor and used the hole as a pivot.
I did the same thing, except that I didn't do anything to the govenor. Throttle works perfect and the govenor doesn't interfere at all.

My throttle cable approaches from the cylinder end of the engine, so I hooked it up to the bellcrank in the hole right next to the throttle rod hole.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
The govenor is there to maintain a constant speed under varying load conditons ,like on a pressure washer, tiller, mower ect.

Helplessoldman

Jan 7, 2012
Peoria, IL
I like the sticker also. The exhaust is better forward because the pipe gets hot and I don't want it to be too close to the leg. Besides the flex pipe I bought from Quenton Guenther was just the right length for a front curve. Thanks for asking..shft.

mesmith

Jun 30, 2011
United States
.shft. Here are a few Pictures of my 99cc build I did over the summer. Believe me it took all summer to do. What a learning curve, but I think I nailed it.
That is a great looking bike. I'm in the process of building a 99cc hf myself. I see your from Peoria, I live in Lincoln myself. Hello neighbor!

Helplessoldman

Jan 7, 2012
Peoria, IL
I have a Facebook page: Central Illinois Motorized Bicycles. Check it out, I have more pictures on it. I'm going to ride my bike down to Clinton this summer, maybe we could meet somewhere.rmfla