Comet CVT Modification

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
This is my second CVT that I have purchased and will be using on my newest build "Custom Frame for Board Track Thumper". The drawback of the CVT is you have to off-set the motor to get the drive chain to line up, if you don't mount your motor just right the alignment will be off with no adjustment.

The modification moves the drive gear to the opposite side of the plate which allows you to center the motor and have adjustment for the correct alignment. The gear can slide back and forth with ease. I have had this idea for awhile and decided this build would be the perfect time to try it. Plus ya gota love the way a CVT works...

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
2 pieces of 1/4" do the trick? Or should I just buy a mill? That's a great answer to the problem of CVT offset, was going the same direction with this. Nice work as usual!

I've got just the gearing on my 212cc now using a 12t on the CVT.

dnut

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Very interesting. Is there only one bearing supporting the CVT shaft? Or is there another on the inside of the plate?

You said that this mod was to move the sprocket to the opposite side of the plate. Does this mean that the sprocket was on the same side of the plate as the CvT pully?
If I understand the pics correctly, it looks like this mod just moves the drive sprocket a couple inches closer to the plate.
I'm just trying to understand the configuration of the stock CVT before I invest in one.
I have two scooters and Heald Bronco, with CVT's and I realy like the way they work.
Thanks, Wayne

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Very interesting. Is there only one bearing supporting the CVT shaft? Or is there another on the inside of the plate?

You said that this mod was to move the sprocket to the opposite side of the plate. Does this mean that the sprocket was on the same side of the plate as the CvT pully?
If I understand the pics correctly, it looks like this mod just moves the drive sprocket a couple inches closer to the plate.
I'm just trying to understand the configuration of the stock CVT before I invest in one.
I have two scooters and Heald Bronco, with CVT's and I realy like the way they work.
Thanks, Wayne
The sprocket was on the same side as the CVT pulley, sandwiched between the plate. It is now on the other side and can be moved back and forth. I have two bearings on the plate; if you look close you can see another spacer plate on the back side holding the other bearing.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
That really is nice work. I wished I had the tools and money. I had my eyes on the comet since mid nineties when it was the rage on Jr dragsters

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Hey Wayne I like that bearing, just wish they showed the dimensions.
You can go to the sellers store, and click on the bearing size you want. There is a descripton there.

Edit: The descripton is on the auction page , down a bit. Not sure exactly where they're measuring the shaft height
I have a 5/8" set at home, I can check those later today if you like.

Last edited:

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
At the risk of sounding stupid can someone explain something for me .
I know how a cvt works by expanding and contracting to change the drive ratio , but here's where I get confused .

the torqueAverter ... i,m pretty sure is a cvt .

KEEP IN MIND ...i,m talking about little torque converters that they sell for go-carts
I know how a fluid filled automotive torque converter works .

But , what they are calling torque Converters ( look to me like nothing more than a centrifical clutch .... yet i see some advertiseing 10-1 overdrive ? How are they getting the overdrive ? Planetary gearing ?

OK ... my stupid question .
whats the difference between ( go-cart type ) centrifical clutchs and a torque converter ? or is the torque converter nothing more than a drive pulley off a cvt ?
Sound stupid but i,m a bit confused .

And with Comet going out of buisness , what other brands are there that i can search .

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
OK, I measured my pillow block, it is exactly like the one in the link. It measures 2.75" from the base to the center of the shaft.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
well , i,m still confused ... that link shows a clutch ... and a cvt .
they are calling the cvt a torque converter .

now i see where i was getting confused ... some of the sites i was looking at were showing ONLY the driver and refering to it as a torque converter .
In the same add they were claiming 10-1 overdrive ( which personally i think is impossible ) ... it wouldn't have thrown me off if they had shown the driven with the driver .

thanks