Shifting Q Matic

GoldenMotor.com

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi Guys
This was the first test ride .Just glad i didnt have to push it home .I will play with the gearing if it needs it after I put on Nu Vinci. Plus that will give me a rear brake.
Just Kidding about Nay Sayers but there were a few..........I am just glad that there will be another option for a 4 stroke shift bike other than grubee and hoot....
Thanks all who brainstormed with me you no who you are...It's just gona get better as that was the proto type .usually most proto types need some refinements...........I ran it against a freind who has a clone to my bike Q Matic
in a felt 62 tooth rear.so it was a good comparison as I know how fast his bike is .
From a stop light we would take off I would get him out of the hole all the way up to his top speed . And up any grade forget about it..in my video in 3rd gear it sounds slower because its not winding out yet and I was going up hill most of the way. But if you watch my other video slow cruz youll see I am going about the same speed it just doesnt sound like it ..Even in 3rd going up that long grade I only down shifted because I wanted to not because i had to..Flex..

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
the Q matic with shifter is for sale check the swap section
Hey Flex,Are you and SBP still going to make the shift kit for the Qmatic????I have not heard anymore about it since your last post....that it was coming soon or in the works.You got to luv shifting.

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
As far as i know jim is still making it also the q works great with shifter. the only
reason i took it out is I needed the frame for my race bike.I dont know how anybody would know without ridding one and as far as i know this is the only one . although havent been on forum for awhile so maybe someone else has cracked the code....Flex... aile mo doesnt really know. he just like to comment. sorry yours sucks mine doesnt slip ..

Last edited:

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Thanks Thats a great idea now you got me thinking I still have that nu vinci hub
in a box .I wasnt paying attention to that guy that had the 4 stroke w/ nu vinci.
how did he do did the bike perform well..what was his # and do you know his straight away speed. how did he do against the bikes in that class...
Thanks Ale.........Flex....

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That would be Nashmoto, #98 and his bike performed very well, he won the <50cc 4-stroke class. He's a real nice guy who builds a really nice bike too.

dnut

Thanks Thats a great idea now you got me thinking I still have that nu vinci hub
in a box .I wasnt paying attention to that guy that had the 4 stroke w/ nu vinci.
how did he do did the bike perform well..what was his # and do you know his straight away speed. how did he do against the bikes in that class...
Thanks Ale.........Flex....

Last edited:
We originally made the 2 speed to test, and then took bids from vendors to produce the drive. Sadly the vendors wanted WAY TOO much money to make and caused us to re-design in order to reduce the production cost. We also re-designed it to be an add on system to our current Q-Matic drive.

Originally the drive switched from one clutch to the other in order to shift ratios, however in order to reduce cost and make the Q-Matic upgradeable we re-designed it to use the primary clutch all the time. The secondary clutch now simply changes the output ratios and continues to drive via the primary clutch. These changes make it possible to upgrade current production Q-Matic to the 2 speed by simply adding the additional parts needed.

Hopefully we can find a fabrication shop that can produce the drive for a reasonable amount.

Have fun,

Approx. 1.5" wider, not bad considering what it can do.

We hope to slim it down even more prior to production. We are trying to use as many "off" the shelf parts as possible to keep the cost down, however machine work to make it smaller will raise the production cost.

Have fun,

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hey scotto I dont think I have 20 hp that would be about 16 more than that 49.cc
never the less I get your point he was moving and I wasnt..hopefully next race I will have alittle more experience and be a little faster hopefully not come in last.
I sure am having alot of fun and thats whats important to me win or lose its all fun . the only thing thats not IS LEAVING SKIN ON THE TRACK .I still have a few
battle scares from the first race at willow............I will consider that alitte exp. and not to do that again..like everybody the more you do it the better you get.
the only problem is everybody gets faster...well problem for me anyway..

We are currently using the stock EZM gearing as the top raio, and changing the lower ratio. Of course, if you can take off quicker and then shift into a higher ratio, it allows for all kinds of possibilities. The important part is it will be legal and not break many states laws by "manually shifting", as it will be totally automatic, and the shifting speed can be preset to different points.

Have fun,