Greyhound in a 51 Schwinn Cantilever build

GoldenMotor.com

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Well Silverbear after following this thread, I did it. Just bought a 79cc Greyhound at Harbor Freight's website for $87. total including shipping. I bought an old Schwinn springer 2 days ago on Ebay for $159. & I have new a cantilever frame from Memory Lane Classics. I already have a spare Q matic drive sitting around. Guess when I start I'll have to start a thread. Your bike looks great!! Hope mine turns out as good (^)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks Jay.
I hadn't realized that you can use a coupon code with Harbor Freight on line. I had a flyer with their Thanksgiving day 25% off coupon, but didn't relish driving a hundred miles to Duluth and then back again only to discover they were out of the engine by the time I got there anyway. It would cost more for gas than for the shipping of $10.00. So, having figured on another Greyhound build later this winter, also on a Schwinn cantilever, but this time with some moped parts, I also bought the engine just now. So thanks for your timely post. I got mine for 87.00 including the shipping which makes the motor one of the least expensive items on this coming budget build. Awesome! Happy Thanksgiving. Just went shopping and didn't even have to put my pack boots on to go shovel out the Jeep!
I look forward to your build thread and will be following along on it. Get busy...
SB

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Glad I saved you the trip. It was the same with me. I didn't feel like driving there. It would have cost me $10. on gas to drive so $10 shipping was a bargain.
Jay

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I have a similar motor I got from a friend that runs concession karts. Is a Honda clone, around 5hp I believe. I will pull it out and see about the mounting of the alternator. Interestingly, this engine is fitted with a chain reduction box with a heavy duty wet clutch. These are pretty tough and long lived under the punishment the public gives his karts. Looks very close to the physical size of the engine you have. I believe the reduction would bolt to your engine with the exception of the crank size being 3/4. Dont know if the reduction arrangement would be and advantage, but the clutch looks like a very long lived unit.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
cannonball2,
Thanks for looking in to both the clutch and also the alternator. When my Greyhound comes I'll pull the cover off so I can take a picture. Maybe from just looking at it you will have an idea if this alternator will work. If it will, there will be others interested for sure. I just tried attaching the manual in a PDF file which has a blowup of the innards and all the parts. I can email it to you if you're interested. PM me with your email addy if you or anyone else wants it. Happy Thanksgiving.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
A few more things to wrap up this build thread. The air cleaner I made and was so pleased with I have removed. I like how it looked and worked. I did not like how my leg rubbed up against it once I was able to actually ride this bike. I realized that the stock one laid in closer to the engine and for that reason replaced it. Also, once in place and with the engine shroud painted black it doesn't look so bad after all. I really don't know how to improve on it, so will leave it alone. It was a wrong turn along the way in this build. Something else I wanted to mention which is not shown in a picture is the need to disconnect the low oil sensor wire. Remember, this engine was designed to sit stationary. On my first few rides I couldn't figure how I was killing the motor. I would start it and then while mounting it would die. Once on, I could pull start it and off I'd go. Every time I mounted this was happening and I was trying to see what I was brushing up against to make that happen. In the middle of the night it dawned on me that when I mount I tip the bike toward me to make a lower profile and easier for me to swing my gimpy leg over the back of the bike. In tipping, the oil sensor kicked in and shut off the motor. You must disconnect it. The oil sensor and wire is shown in your manual. This, by the way, is where I wired in my throttle kill switch and it works just fine. I left the master switch alone and figure it will slow someone down if they try to start the bike without my knowing it. I don't think anybody would try a quick getaway pedaling it. Good luck. And speaking of pedal position... it is still in too close for the right pedal, so that I feel like I'm crowding the engine with my foot/leg. Pedal extenders would do the trick, as only an inch or so would make a big difference, but I think I'll bend the crank arm a bit and save some money. The last thing I wanted to show is in the final picture. You can see how the clutch bracket on the transmission happens to align with the seat post down tube on the cantilever frame. This gives you another alignment reference and it also provides a third mounting point for the engine. It was an after thought, but it has made the engine rock solid and I would recommend it. I used a couple bolts fed from the inside of the bracket and on the far side of the down post used the plate from a U bolt, bent a bit and with lock nuts to cinch it tight. What else? I ran the exhaust back from the engine and under the rear rack, using exhaust manifold wrap to insulate it. No issues with heat either for my leg or for the gas tank on the rack. I like the way it looks. The exhaust is from EZMotorbikes and what is used on Whizzers... real nice for power, sound and flexible so that I could follow lines of the bike in routing it. All that's left to share are some glamor shots in the next post, which I managed to take as winter began to shut things down here in the north woods of Minnesota.
(cont)

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
One other thing I should mention regarding the last post. In the second photo you can see a hole in the transmission shroud. This was necessary because in this newer edition of the shroud an attempt was made to have it lie in closer than the first version did. And it is more snugged in. But that is for the HS engine. The Greyhound crankshaft sticks out farther and runs into the shroud. I held it in place while the engine was running which made a wear mark on the shroud, showing me where I needed to drill a hole, (with a 1" spade bit, if I remember right), just big enough for the crank to poke through a wee bit. I gave it a squirt of black paint to make it blend in with the shroud.
(cont)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
And this is how the bike looks finished. I like it quite a lot and don't have a whole lot of money invested in it. It runs well, has great take off power and smooth acceleration all the way up to too fast. And it has the hill climbing power I was looking for.
One day I was stuck on the highway behind a bridge construction project for a half hour or so. Directly in front of me were the tail ends of three Harleys, each with saddle bags and a combination tail light, brake light and turn signal. I stared at them long enough to realize I could make my own version of both the saddle bags and the combination light. I had already developed cool little running lights made of copper and using a stained glass faceted glass 'jewel" (what they're called in the stained glass trade) as lens, with nine led lights inside. So I did a more complicated version for my combination light in back. The middle one is on all the time, and the outer two come on with the brakes. Later I'll wire them so they are also turn signal blinkers. The saddle bags I had figured to make from harness leather using old wire baskets I had as forms, then realized I liked it better with just wire as the leather version would have been clunky looking, not to mention expensive to make. There is a little running light on the front fender which has a clear faceted lens and is very bright. That's about it on this one. I like it.
So much that I am in the process of getting materials together for another Schwinn Greyhound, also a cantilever frame made in 1953. It will go easier this time around since now I know how to mount the engine and how to join it to the transmission. This one will be a little different, probably gray paint, black engine, cream tires and rims. It will have a front suspension fork from an old moped along with moped drum brake hubs front and hopefully back, too, laced with 12 gauge spokes to 1952 Schwinn rims. Of course I don't know how to lace wheels, never having done it, but I have discovered that you can teach an old dog new tricks providing there's a treat involved. And these old bikes are a treat! Thanks for following along and good luck with your build.
Silverbear

Attachments

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
The nicest greyhound buid I have seen.Great thread SB,I'm sure it will help many future greyhound builders.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Turned out real nice SB. Looks like you're going to have to put the chains on it if you stick around there much longer. It's about 45 degrees here with sun. Gonna go ride for a bit. The 2-stroke doesn't start as quickly, but it likes the cooler temps, seems to run stronger. Worked a little on the worksman tank, will try to get some pics soon. Dan

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thank you, Dan. There's some melting this afternoon and I'm thinking about walking the greyhound out to the road for a little spin... that's not the word I want, is it, 'spin'. A safe and uneventful little ride, I mean.
Hope to leave for Maryland in a little over a week. Have to finish building a 49 Panther with a four stroke in it for a friend of mine first and am waiting on wheels from Worksman. I look forward to seeing pictures of your progress and even more, to seeing it in person perhaps after New Years.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Dan,
I hope your ride was better than mine. The sun was shining and it was 40 degrees or so, what counts for balmy weather in my neck of the woods. I rode it through the snowy drive out to the road and saw that it had a few bare spots, but was mostly thin slush and snow along the side just an inch or two deep since the last plowing. Not too bad, maybe. I took it easy and felt a little slipping and squirrelyness (is that a word?), but was tooling along OK, almost turned into my drive on the return trip of a few miles, but kept going down another road less traveled and in rougher condition. It was so bad after a couple miles I turned around to get home and count myself lucky. About a half mile from home I hit some bad slush only going maybe ten or twelve mph and the rear end slid out and down I went. Helmet with face shield was on and I kind of went with the wipeout, grazing the elbow and then hitting the road with my shoulder & helmet. Shut the motor off and got up, straightened out the basket on the left side and fired it up. Then the drive chain jumped the rear sprocket and I shut it down for a walk home pushing the bike. Bike will be fine with a little tweaking. Nothing worse than a little bruising and wounded pride to the rider and nothing that a good, warm sleep could not mend. This morning I worked out the stiffness splitting wood and carrying it in ahead of another dumping of 2-4 inches later today. I don't mind physical labor so long as it is purposeful. It keeps me youngish and mobile, especially important if you're partly crippled. Use it or lose it is a good saying with a lot of truth in it. I'll be 66 shortly after new years and am thankful for my resilience. Hauling water in buckets and firewood has it's plus side, keeping me a tough, gimpy old bear. And I know myself well enough to admit that I have learned nothing from this experience. Come spring or what passes for it here and on a sunny day with not too much slush on the road I'll get the bright idea to fire up the Greyhound and go for a ride. Ha! Don't do what I do, stay safe!
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silverbear, might I suggest that you add a sidecar. {:>
I'm planning the frame for it and will weld it up soon. Send me the size of your frame that you have now if you think it is ok. Did you widen the pedals?
The very reason I added a sidecar to mine as you know.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for your kind thoughts, you guys. No one to blame but myself for wiping out. Yes, I suppose a sidecar in this situation would have kept things more stable. I'd much appreciate your crafting a frame, Steve, and will take some dimensions tomorrow, not that a heavier one needs to be of the same dimensions, but it will also be for a canoe sidecar. I think I'll plan for this one to have a moped wheel with a drum brake in it. This Greyhound has plenty of power to haul around me plus someone in the sidecar, certainly the dog and a child, maybe even a nice looking lady... We can figure out how to attach it to the bike next summer which can't come soon enough for me. I miss being able to ride just about every day, but hopefully will be able to get some riding in when I get to Maryland pretty soon. And yes, this Greyhound has the extra wide pedal crank. Do you need to know the width?
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silverbear, the moped wheel with the drum brake is a first class idea. You may well need the extra stopping power. Personally I think you will have a number of young ladies who will want a ride in the sidecar.
Yes, if you can measure the pedals from where the crank comes out of the frame to the end of the pedal so I can leave enough room for the pedals to swing without hitting the frame. Also the crank length.
I'll let you know if we need more. Rest well.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Steve, will measure tomorrow. As for 'young ladies riding in the sidecar', at my age 'young ladies' is mid forties to mid fifties. Younger than that they are not going to be interested in an old circus bear and I'm not that interested in them. Too much like children from my perspective with no shared history... don't remember JFK getting assassinated, using a phone booth, LP records, the excitement over the new kind of music from the Beatles. In other words, nothing in common. A nice lady my own age is most appropriate for an old fellow like me, but having been married three times already, I think I'm due for a rest from that nonsense and will just take the dog and grandchildren for rides. Don't know what I was thinking when I said something about taking a good looking lady for a ride. Slow learner.
SB