1960's STOKVIS 'Stick Fish' (Dutch)

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I got a call at work yesterday, buddy said he had a "weird old bike" for me if I wanted to come take a look at it...

How could I say no?

At first glance I dismissed it as just some random road bike... but indeed, there were some things that were just plain "weird" so I said thanks and threw it in the back of my friend's van, waved and trooped on back to work before the boss noticed not one, but two of his slacker employees had gone AWOL lol

Later when I had a bit more time I started takin' a closer look at this odd ol' bike, and the closer I looked - the odder it got. Turns out the "Made in Rotterdam" headbadge was a good reason to set aside my road bike bias, it appears to be a 1960's Dutch utility bike, built like a tank despite it's light appearance. It can't be any later than 1968 as that's when Stokvis closed shop...

Scouring the internet, I've turned up very little, mostly passing references regarding Dutch bikes in general, like this;

"Dutch city bikes are premium market, no question. But you have to consider
these bicycles' intended purpose, maintenance and longevity. They aren't
recreational toys that sit in a garage 350 days of the year. They're
intended to be used daily as practical transportation instead of an
automobile. With their completely protected drivetrain they need almost no
maintenance for years on end, and are so sturdily built that they last for
at least the lifespan of the rider. Are they worth 3 times the average
bicycle? Arguably, yes."

...and really, that's about all I've found other than the R.S.Stokvis company also imported motorized bikes like the Solex & that it was "A manufacturer of typical Dutch utility bikes, Stokvis was based in Rotterdam in the Netherlands. The name translates as stick fish." So if anyone knows anything about this ol' bike I'd be overjoyed if you would enlighten me! Here's a few pics, the bike is in fine running condition other than needing air in the tires & one missing fastener (coaster brake arm). It's actually in far better shape than it appears as I've not even cleaned the barn dust off... yet. Heck - the lights (original) even work o_O

Headbadge (sadly, it's a sticker), fully lugged frame, odd bike lock w/pop-out key (click to view);

...and taillight (note the cargo clips on axle), mysterious "Type Two", rear fender sticker "Rugby Sports", wiring inside the Dtube & exits crank (serial 607665), soft cover chain guard... which is in pretty poor shape;

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Pretty cool bike, Barely. I especially like the metalwork on the front tube, the peaked fenders, the rear fender lights. I can see this with a little friction drive Tanaka (Bikebug) motor on it with the same size wheels and tires it has now. Kind of minimalist and a bike to pedal around with motor assist, much in keeping with its Dutch heritage.
What do you see?
SB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o.o

>.<

@.@

I dunno yet lol, hadn't really given it a lot of thought. It's not something I woulda gone out and gotten with the intent of motorizing - but... since one has sneaked it's way into my shop I suppose I'll hafta bolt somethin' or other to it :D

Smokey1981

Jul 9, 2010
kansas city
Nice Find!!!!! In my opinion, you can never engineer in too much reliability that should be an awsome foundation to build upon!!

.bld. + brnot

+1 for you

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yea, I'm thinkin' much the same lol

Did a lil light cleanup & maintenance this mornin' as it's about to go out on it's first ride in at least a decade - prolly twice that. Yea, this means my lazy butt is gonna hafta actually pedal a bit but I wanna see if a HT will fit & my buddy has a spare one kickin' to try. The frame shape is ideal for a HT... but the pedal cranks are 1/4" too narrow (realistically 1/2") and they're so nice I can't bring myself to change or modify them. There's a slim chance the engine may sit high enough to clear... but I seriously doubt it.

Still, it's worth a shot *shrug* Silverbear is interested in makin' me one of his sweeeet leather covered fuel tanks for under the top tube, like this 'un but ofc a lil longer;

...and I think it'd look so right there as to appear factory (^)

If the HT doesn't work out it'd be a bit of a bummer, but the backup plan is a "vintage" Bikebug motor as recommend above - not only are they about the same year, the way the frame is set up there shouldn't be any fuel flow problems as I think Silver's tank would would still set higher than the Bug's carby... we'll see heh

Before & afters, but I really only wiped it down so there's not much ta see lol

It's a shame but not surprising the soft covers for the coat guards & chain guard are wasted... but there's enough left for me to use them as patterns to make something myself. Out of what I dunno yet lol...s'pose I could make it a "woody" w/some paneling... mebbe o_O

Last edited:

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
The chain guard out of a highly finished wood would be great. Maybe black walnut for that color of bike. If you are going to paint the bike I would just mask off the stickers and keep them. Congrats on the find!

Terry

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Boy, that cleaned up nice. Wood might be nice. Or maybe aluminum. Copper would be heavy. Naugahyde. I think aluminum. You could leave it alone, shine it up or paint it. Looks nice with nothing, too. Something see through like Plexiglas; that'd be cool, too. This makes me want to find a neat old Schwinn three speed like I had as a kid... I have a nice Bikebug motor that ran when I last used it a few years ago. Probably needs going over. That'd be fun and some good easy exercise, too. I never feel like pedaling my cruisers at all. Too much work, let the China Girl do it. If I remember right the Japanese madeTanaka motor is 26cc, enough to cruise along on the flats, but wimpy on hills... hence pedal assist. It had a cool chromed shifter deal to engage and disengage the motor from the front wheel. Simple, quiet, cool!
SB

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
This is another bike that kinda grows on you. The more you look at it, the more solid and purposeful it seems. This is definitely serious transportation; none of yer cheap, every-other-weekend kind of kid's toy. It isn't the prettiest bike I've ever seen by a long shot, but I don't think it was designed to be all that pretty. It was designed to live long and continue to function. Therein lies its true beauty.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Barely

It Grows On A Person Pretty Fast. Awsum Bike. Would Be Nice To Keep It As Original As Possible. In Frame Will Be Nice. Ron

PS Went back and clicked the link to Amsterdam and checked out all the pic`s. Enjoyed that, looked like a lot of relatives to your Dutch bike!! lol.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that's a cool bike. what size tires does it have? i'm betting they're some oddball 26x1 3/8's.

those tires are hard to find. there's 2 or 3 different sized 1-3/8 tires, and only one will fit. hopefully your bikeshop buddies can hook you up.

i have a Japanese city bike from the 60's-70's sitting in my backyard that my buddy wants me to fix up (stealthily, he wants to keep the rust and dirt) for a beach bike, and i can't find the right tires anywhere around here...

would make a cool motor bike, especially if you found one of these:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
it's a Cyclemaster Power Wheel: The Story of the Cyclemaster

i figure once i start making millions selling motored bikes, i can buy some of these old motors for my showroom display;)

my favorite is the Dynacycle:Dyna Cycle -DynaCycle Motor Bike

sadly, the website is gone. it had a bunch of pictures and all the info (frowny face...)
Baird,
What a beautiful design. Wouldn't it be something if an American company could re-manufacture this...
SB

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Barely

Sorry, Don`t Mean To Derail Your Thread.

When Bairdco Posted The Axle Mount/drive Pic, I Thought My Axle Mount Gas Drive Would Be A Option, To Keep Your Dutch Bike Original. Very Easy On/off The Bike.

Sb

Yes , I Plan On A Thread Of The Conversion. It Was A Electric Bike I Bought For $50. Took The Elec Motor Off, Drilled 5 Holes In The Mount Plate For The Pocket Bike 5:1 Reverse Rotation Tranny. Bolted The 49cc Gas Engine On And A Larger Sprocket On The Axle Freewheel = No Drag Pedaling.

Ron