Newbie , need help !

GoldenMotor.com

Sahevaan

Aug 5, 2010
Hyderabad , Andhra , India
Hi everyone ,
I am sahevaan from India . I wanted to build my first motor bicycle (if thats what its called) . I am a complete noob to motorbicycling and wanted the help of the members on this forum. I have been into aeromodelling for the past 2 years , hence i have experience in building .

I have a cycle from one of these indian manufacturers , the details are below -
- Its called the Hero Ranger ( will post the links and pics tommorow )

- It has a Shimano Gear system : 18 speed

I wanted to know where i could mount the engine and how should i go about the gears and sprockets and all .

I have decided on a 50cc engine from a well known motorcycle called Luna .

Please advice me .

Cheers ,
Sahevaan

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Post a few photos of your bike and engine and we can give you a better idea. Anything is possible given enough enthusiasm and work, but some are a lot easier than others.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
WHOOOOEEE! That's going to be a tough one to mount an engine on in my experience, but as I said, nothing is impossible. You say the engine is from a Luna scooter?

Have a look at some of the photos of the great bikes built here, and that will give you some idea of where to start. Being that you have been into model aircraft for awhile, you should be able to build a motorized bike of some kind with no problem.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I think the best way to motorize a bicycle like that is a rear mount kit or front mount kit. It still might take some work to mount a rear engine kit but I think it's doable.

KITS

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The rear mounts generally mount up on the rear frame, with a suspension like you have it will be difficult. I am not trying to ruin your dream, but you may be better off with another bike.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I dunno - a fully suspended motorized bicycle is a wonderful thing and may well be worth the extra effort, particularly if you already have the bike and no engine yet...

But yea... you'd be pretty much limited to a rear rack mounted engine, but they're good too and I think you could make a mount w/o a huge amount of trouble, partic as it appears you may already have a rack built into the rear suspension?;

Yours?

NEAT TIMES's: http://motorbicycling.com/f36/cvt-rack-mount-7265.html

There's kits too ofc, but obv would require some mount modification...

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you got a rack mount type kit, and mounted it on the rear of the bike, or copied a rack mount design with the right kind of engine- none.

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
If that little scooter has a cvt like I think it does, all you have to do is rack mount it and put a sprocket on the output shaft where the wheel used to be. Since the scooter had 10 inch rims and the bicycle has 26 inch rims you want to gear it like what 2.5-3.0 to 1. 10 toothe on engine 25 to 30 tooth on bicycle.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Which bike do you have? You provided two links to two different bikes:

Google Image Result for http://images03.olx.in/ui/2/74/31/35867331_1.jpg

Google Image Result for http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bsCKBw-ZZEw/SWcggCf-NWI/AAAAAAAAAkk/1l1-QZcFyGA/s400/hero_ranger_dtb.jpg

They both might have the same name and model name but are different.(maybe different years?) The rear rack is attached to the seat tube in one, but the rear rack is attached to the rear suspension arm in the other one. THERE IS A HUGEEEEEEEEE DIFFERENCE.